PDA

View Full Version : Permission issues with Time Machine after clean install

alec6542
May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM
I guys,

So I recently got an SSD and wanted to do a clean restore. I formatted, reinstalled OS X, and named my new user exactly the same as my old one. I have two external HD's, one for Time Machine, the other for "manual" backups. After the clean install, instead of using migration assistant, I decided to migrate my home directory's contents manually from from my non-TM HD. Here's the problem, even though I named my home directory exactly the same as before "alec", somehow Time Machine is viewing my new user as a completely different user, and TM has backed up my entire home directory all over as a new, separate user. In fact, when I open up the "star wars" UI, the sidebar items are all greyed out when I go back to an earlier backup of my old home folder. My home directory is well over 800 GB, and I don't want TM to delete my old backups when it fills up. The only thing I can think of is, by not using migration assistant, simply copying over my data caused the permissions to go out "sync" somehow. I wouldn't mind using MA, except there is no way to migrate just a user and NOT it's corresponding library folder. In fact, that's the only folder in my home directory that I did not copy over. Reason being there is a lot of nasty, corrupt stuff in my old Library folder that was causing a lot of problems such as kernel panics, and I want all that kept off my new SSD. Any thoughts?