PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a decent email app for Android!

appledes7
May 6, 2013, 11:21 PM
Ever since I got my Nexus 4 in December, I have been struggling to find a good email app that rivals iOS mail.

GMail was good, but was severely limiting in the fact that I could only have Google email addresses.

The stock email app for whatever reason never game me the option for push email. Also, whenever I got an email with any pictures the dang app was not capable of zooming out so I could see the entire image!

K9 fixed the push email issue, but I still couldn't zoom out! Plus the UI sucks. At least for the version on Google Play. There is another version floating around outside Google Play with a better UI, but still has the zooming problem.

I tried multiple other email apps and they all had this zooming problem. The only exception was GMail, but I already discussed the limitations of that app.

Finally, this week, I found out that AquaMail was recently updated to fix the zooming problem. I finally found an email app that lets you zoom out to view the entire image and supports push. Seems like two simple things that should both be included in the stock email app, but at least its here now.

AquaMail isn't perfect, however. I have found that sometimes when I open an email with a picture, it takes a few seconds for the app to recognize that there are images. So when I try and zoom out, it won't let me. Wait a few seconds, then it starts working. The UI is pretty decent, but IMO still not as streamlined as iOS mail, but definitely the best I have found so far.

Just thought I would share my findings!

Assault
May 7, 2013, 01:04 AM
Ever since I got my Nexus 4 in December, I have been struggling to find a good email app that rivals iOS mail.

GMail was good, but was severely limiting in the fact that I could only have Google email addresses.

The stock email app for whatever reason never game me the option for push email. Also, whenever I got an email with any pictures the dang app was not capable of zooming out so I could see the entire image!

K9 fixed the push email issue, but I still couldn't zoom out! Plus the UI sucks. At least for the version on Google Play. There is another version floating around outside Google Play with a better UI, but still has the zooming problem.

I tried multiple other email apps and they all had this zooming problem. The only exception was GMail, but I already discussed the limitations of that app.

Finally, this week, I found out that AquaMail was recently updated to fix the zooming problem. I finally found an email app that lets you zoom out to view the entire image and supports push. Seems like two simple things that should both be included in the stock email app, but at least its here now.

AquaMail isn't perfect, however. I have found that sometimes when I open an email with a picture, it takes a few seconds for the app to recognize that there are images. So when I try and zoom out, it won't let me. Wait a few seconds, then it starts working. The UI is pretty decent, but IMO still not as streamlined as iOS mail, but definitely the best I have found so far.

GMail does everything. I have Yahoo and Outlook accounts that auto push to my GMail inbox. You can add a color tab to additional email clients within GMail if you wish.

GMail is the only mail app you need.

Fernandez21
May 7, 2013, 02:57 AM

Thanks for that. I too have spent lots of time looking for a good email app on Android. You might want to try Maildroid, that's the one I'm using now and push works very well and it also let's you zoom in and out of emails and even let's you set zoomed out as the default. The ui is also very beautiful.

Edit: Just tried this app, and now am very torn. I still much prefer maildroid's ui and it supports yahoo push (aquamail said it wasn't supported after setup), but aquamail does a better job at full screen formatting. Sticking with maildroid for now, though, it cost me $17 for the pro version.

MacRumorUser
May 7, 2013, 02:59 AM
Kaiten Mail is also a good alternative, I prefer it over MailDroid.

demisb
May 7, 2013, 03:10 AM
GMail does everything. I have Yahoo and Outlook accounts that auto push to my GMail inbox. You can add a color tab to additional email clients within GMail if you wish.

That's exactly what I'm looking for! How do you set that up (I'd like to push my Hotmail to Gmail)?

appledes7
May 7, 2013, 03:29 AM

I'd rather not have my other email go into my GMail inbox.

Plus why spend time setting that up when I can get better individual mailbox functionality with a different app?

Having all my email sucked into one account sounds like an awful idea. I prefer having an app that cleanly keeps all accounts separate. No need to mix personal and professional email accounts if I don't have to.

Kaiten Mail is also a good alternative, I prefer it over MailDroid.

Do you know if Kaiten has auto-fit?

----------

Thanks for that. I too have spent lots of time looking for a good email app on Android. You might want to try Maildroid, that's the one I'm using now and push works very well and it also let's you zoom in and out of emails and even let's you set zoomed out as the default. The ui is also very beautiful.

Edit: Just tried this app, and now am very torn. I still much prefer maildroid's ui and it supports yahoo push (aquamail said it wasn't supported after setup), but aquamail does a better job at full screen formatting. Sticking with maildroid for now, though, it cost me $17 for the pro version.

Ya the UI takes a little getting used to. There are a few customizable settings that make it a little easier to use IMO.

mib1800
May 7, 2013, 03:52 AM
I'd rather not have my other email go into my GMail inbox.

Plus why spend time setting that up when I can get better individual mailbox functionality with a different app?

Having all my email sucked into one account sounds like an awful idea. I prefer having an app that cleanly keeps all accounts separate. No need to mix personal and professional email accounts if I don't have to.

In that case, why dont you create separate gmail accounts for each of your email provider? You can then add these gmail accounts to your phone. The only reason I can think of you don't want to do this is because you dont want your mail routed thru Google server for security reason. Then if you use iCloud, you are faced with same security issue too.

maflynn
May 7, 2013, 05:48 AM
The mail app was one of the thorns in my side for android.

I needed 3 separate mail apps at the time, and none of them worked as well as apple's iOS mail app.

I had my gmail app which was decent.
I had the default mail app for non-gmail stuff - it was decent but not great
I had to buy Touchdown (http://nitrodesk.com) from nitrodesk because at the time the stock mail apps did not provide the level of security that is required by my company to access the exchange servers. That is I couldn't get my work emails with the stock apps, but I had to get this.

Touchdown wasn't bad and I did play with K9 but I found it lacking.

If I return to the android platform, its my hope that I'll find a decent mail app.

kiltedthrower
May 7, 2013, 07:49 AM
I guess I'm glad I have exchange and Gmail both of which have push services

Peterg2
May 7, 2013, 08:19 AM
The mail app was one of the thorns in my side for android.

I needed 3 separate mail apps at the time, and none of them worked as well as apple's iOS mail app.

I had my gmail app which was decent.
I had the default mail app for non-gmail stuff - it was decent but not great
I had to buy Touchdown (http://nitrodesk.com) from nitrodesk because at the time the stock mail apps did not provide the level of security that is required by my company to access the exchange servers. That is I couldn't get my work emails with the stock apps, but I had to get this.

Touchdown wasn't bad and I did play with K9 but I found it lacking.

If I return to the android platform, its my hope that I'll find a decent mail app.

This type of thing really worries me. I have a business account with Rackspace and mobile email is very important to me. I am considering the HTC One (no other android device really appeals to me). My account with Rackspace supports IMAP (and IMAP IDLE) and Rackspace "mobile sync" which is based on MS Activesync. I don't need Exchange which Rackspace also supports.

I appreciate that the discussion here is about functionality of Android Apps but I hope that with the right choice of client I will be able to have good functionality as well as no problem with"push email" with either IMAP IDLE or mobile sync. I really don't need any issues with instant "pushing" as some of my email exchanges with clients are almost instant.

P.S. In a live chat with Rackspace now the rep mentioned Touchdown as being most used with Rackspace. However, looking at Touchdown am I to assume this is solely for Exchange and not IMAP IDLE accounts or Rackspace's "mobile sync" *based* on Activesync but not the same thing?

maflynn
May 7, 2013, 08:24 AM
P.S. In a live chat with Rackspace now the rep mentioned Touchdown as being most used with Rackspace.
I've been off the android platform for a little while, but Touchdown was the most robust email client to embrace all of the security features that MS provides for their exchange servers.

Peterg2
May 7, 2013, 08:45 AM
I've been off the android platform for a little while, but Touchdown was the most robust email client to embrace all of the security features that MS provides for their exchange servers.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't dispute that at all but while you were replying I added this bit: "However, looking at Touchdown am I to assume this is solely for Exchange and not IMAP IDLE accounts or Rackspace's "mobile sync" *based* on Activesync but not the same thing?"

The rackspace rep I spoke to now (the second chat) had heard about Touchdown but said that even if I did not have Exchange email accounts their mobile sync (which is set up in the same way as MS Exchange) *should* work. I suppose I really should get better clarity than *should* from Rackspace before I go ahead and purchase the One.

Tarzanman
May 7, 2013, 12:15 PM
Once you realize the power of (creating your own) automatic filters, the "+" modifier, labels and archiving on gmail..... then no other email client comes anywhere near it.

The main drawback to gmail is contact management. You do have to prune back the list occasionally to keep aquaintances or strangers from being added (or staying), but that is less a problem nowadays than when I first started using it.

appledes7
May 7, 2013, 12:37 PM
In that case, why dont you create separate gmail accounts for each of your email provider? You can then add these gmail accounts to your phone. The only reason I can think of you don't want to do this is because you dont want your mail routed thru Google server for security reason. Then if you use iCloud, you are faced with same security issue too.

Why waste time setting up all my email accounts through one provider in order to force a specific app to work properly? Especially when I could just download an app that works properly from the beginning...

Seems like an extremely roundabout way to get the results I am looking for.

MacRumorUser
May 7, 2013, 03:46 PM
Do you know if Kaiten has auto-fit?

Yep. It auto-fits just like iOS mail.

Tinmania
May 7, 2013, 03:53 PM
Why waste time setting up all my email accounts through one provider in order to force a specific app to work properly? Especially when I could just download an app that works properly from the beginning...

Seems like an extremely roundabout way to get the results I am looking for.

Well I know why I did it: because I had to do it just once. I am free from the chore of setting up 5 different email accounts--some with their own setup quirks--should I want to try a different email client.

As a bonus all I need is access to a web browser to check/respond to all my email accounts. Double-bonus gmail is better at spam control than several of my email accounts themselves.

For me funneling all my email through gmail has saved time not wasted it.

Michael

tbayrgs
May 7, 2013, 04:41 PM
Well I know why I did it: because I had to do it just once. I am free from the chore of setting up 5 different email accounts--some with their own setup quirks--should I want to try a different email client.

As a bonus all I need is access to a web browser to check/respond to all my email accounts. Double-bonus gmail is better at spam control than several of my email accounts themselves.

For me funneling all my email through gmail has saved time not wasted it.

Michael

Can you send from one of the other email accounts using the Gmail app or are you limited to the default gmail account? I'm fed up trying to find a suitable email client for my non-gmail accounts but my primary email (and the account I generally send from) is a Yahoo account and I need to be able to send from this account.

Tinmania
May 7, 2013, 05:15 PM
Can you send from one of the other email accounts using the Gmail app or are you limited to the default gmail account? I'm fed up trying to find a suitable email client for my non-gmail accounts but my primary email (and the account I generally send from) is a Yahoo account and I need to be able to send from this account.
Yes, gmail can send as if coming from one of your non-gmail accounts. If you reply to an email sent to your non-gmail account it can do the same thing. Does this all in the gmail app, or even in a web browser if that is all you have access to.

It's not hard to set up either.

Michael

demisb
May 8, 2013, 02:59 AM
I'd like to push my Hotmail through Gmail, but can't figure out how to do this.. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

appledes7
May 8, 2013, 04:25 AM
Yep. It auto-fits just like iOS mail.

It is great to hear more email clients doing this now. When I first got my Nexus I had such a hard time with this. Good to see they are finally catching up to 2007 iPhone Mail ;)

And before all the fandroids jump all over that, please understand that it is a joke. I have found that in this section of MacRumors forums, if you don't want to get verbally assaulted, you almost always have to clarify even the simplest comments and that if it isn't pro-Google, it is a sin in this section.

Tinmania
May 8, 2013, 10:17 AM
I'd like to push my Hotmail through Gmail, but can't figure out how to do this.. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

Go to Gmail.com in a browser.

Go into settings. (Click the gear icon and then choose settings.)

Click the Accounts tab.

In the "Send mail as" section click "Add another email address you own." An email will be send to that hotmail account which you will then need to verify. This lets gmail send-as from that account.

In the "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)" section click "Add a POP3 mail account you own" and enter your login info for hotmail/live.

After that you will receive your hotmail in gmail--and still in hotmail--and be able to send/reply in gmail as if it came from hotmail. Gmail will indicate the mail that came from hotmail so you can differentiate it from native gmail.

Michael

jrswizzle
May 8, 2013, 12:38 PM

Click the Accounts tab.

In the "Send mail as" section click "Add another email address you own." An email will be send to that hotmail account which you will then need to verify. This lets gmail send-as from that account.

In the "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)" section click "Add a POP3 mail account you own" and enter your login info for hotmail/live.

After that you will receive your hotmail in gmail--and still in hotmail--and be able to send/reply in gmail as if it came from hotmail. Gmail will indicate the mail that came from hotmail so you can differentiate it from native gmail.

Michael

My question: Why couldn't Google give their stock email app some of the same functionality? Why do I HAVE to funnel ALL my emails through their service.....oh ya, they want more data from me.

I'm sorry - I'm not paranoid and don't really care about Google taking my info, but the fact that they purposefully withhold features from THEIR stock email app just to funnel you into Gmail is ridiculous.

I shouldn't need to funnel all my stuff into Gmail (I keep my email addresses separate for a reason) and I shouldn't need to use two email apps (Gmail and stock mail) to get at least some functionality out of the gmail address.

It really is one of my biggest pet-peeves and issues with Android. I'll have to check out AquaMail and Kaiten - K9 is decent, but still doesn't solve the zooming issue as has been stated and I really don't care to comb through the countless email clients out there to find one with relatively basic functionality like that.

/rant over.

Tinmania
May 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
My question: Why couldn't Google give their stock email app some of the same functionality? Why do I HAVE to funnel ALL my emails through their service.....oh ya, they want more data from me.
Huh? The stock email app doesn't require you to funnel anything: it's a mail client that can be used for whatever email you want.

The Gmail app is just what it says it is: for gmail. That is no different than the yahoo app working with yahoo and the outlook.com app working with outlook.com. The difference is you can't even get the same level of funneling with those services. So why beat-up on gmail for doing more?

As for me I actually prefer having my email funneled through gmail. I often have itineraries and other things emailed or forwarded to me through non-gmail accounts. But since that is funneled through gmail I get all the Google Now convenience for those accounts too. I'm not going to give that up just to be stubborn about how gmail works.

Regardless, it is a choice. You don't have to use gmail nor the gmail app. If you do, this is how it works. What is the problem?

Michael

jrswizzle
May 8, 2013, 12:53 PM
Huh? The stock email app doesn't require you to funnel anything: it's a mail client that can be used for whatever email you want.

The Gmail app is just what it says it is: for gmail. That is no different than the yahoo app working with yahoo and the outlook.com app working with outlook.com. The difference is you can't even get the same level of funneling with those services. So why beat-up on gmail for doing more?

As for me I actually prefer having my email funneled through gmail. I often have itineraries and other things emailed or forwarded to me through non-gmail accounts. But since that is funneled through gmail I get all the Google Now convenience for those accounts too. I'm not going to give that up just to be stubborn about how gmail works.

Regardless, it is a choice. You don't have to use gmail nor the gmail app. If you do, this is how it works. What is the problem?

Michael

Right - but the stock email app doesn't have the same feature set and functionality the gmail app does. THAT is my point. The zooming is still an issue in the stock app.

And because its the STOCK Android mail client (created by google), I'd expect it to have similar if not the same features/functionality as Google's gmail app (better yet, on Nexus devices just make it the same app - let the OEMs add their own stock clients if they wish).

I can understand having a gmail app on other devices, but I don't understand the need to split the two on Android devices - especially when OEMs slap their own default client on there anyways.

Android has this issue in other areas - the plethora of messaging apps, navigation/maps/google earth all separate.

Its just a pet peeve of mine to have multiple apps that could all be condensed because they generally do the same things.

The other issue I have is that I use both iCloud and Gmail - but of course, I can't even funnel my iCloud through the gmail app (no IMAP). So I'd be stuck using two clients anyway.

Compare that with being able to load up ALL my email addresses in the same stock client quickly on iOS, and you should be able to see why I get a little frustrated with Google's current setup.

Tinmania
May 8, 2013, 01:03 PM
Right - but the stock email app doesn't have the same feature set and functionality the gmail app does. THAT is my point. The zooming is still an issue in the stock app.

And because its the STOCK Android mail client (created by google), I'd expect it to have similar if not the same features/functionality as Google's gmail app (better yet, on Nexus devices just make it the same app - let the OEMs add their own stock clients if they wish).

I can understand having a gmail app on other devices, but I don't understand the need to split the two on Android devices - especially when OEMs slap their own default client on there anyways.

Android has this issue in other areas - the plethora of messaging apps, navigation/maps/google earth all separate.

Its just a pet peeve of mine to have multiple apps that could all be condensed because they generally do the same things.

I would definitely agree about too much "stuff." I still don't understand all of the google messaging/chat apps. I open the Messenger app and all it does is open the actual Google+ app in the messenger section. Of course I also have a Messenger app from fb--same exact name. That on top of Messages (AT&T) and Messaging (stock SMS app). Ugh.

Michael

jrswizzle
May 8, 2013, 01:07 PM
I would definitely agree about too much "stuff." I still don't understand all of the google messaging/chat apps. I open the Messenger app and all it does is open the actual Google+ app in the messenger section. Of course I also have a Messenger app from fb--same exact name. That on top of Messages (AT&T) and Messaging (stock SMS app). Ugh.

Michael

Yup - went through and hid all that AT&T nonsense on my One.

Anyways - if I could get my iCloud email into the Gmail app, I might be inclined to funnel and try it out. But unfortunately, the Gmail app (and Gmail in general) won't play with IMAP (and I don't want to simply forward all my mail, I'd like to be able to respond as my iCloud address).

This is the reason why I just wish the stock Android mail client had the same basic features (the zooming) that the Gmail app had.

vhl71
May 8, 2013, 01:23 PM
i tested aquamail with my icloud email account and gmail.Gmails get pushed and arrives instantly..but icloud unless i check manually or baseed on the interval set it doesnt get pushed automatically

Inomail gets my icloud mail way before aquamail does..

Why???

tbayrgs
May 8, 2013, 01:27 PM
This is the reason why I just wish the stock Android mail client had the same basic features (the zooming) that the Gmail app had.

Completely agree--this and Google's inadequate native backup services are my two biggest beefs with Android. Could you imagine the consternation on this forum if Apple offered a different email app that only worked with iCloud accounts and offered functionality not found in their other email app? :rolleyes:

jrswizzle
May 8, 2013, 01:30 PM
Completely agree--this and Google's inadequate native backup services are my two biggest beefs with Android. Could you imagine the consternation on this forum if Apple offered a different email app that only worked with iCloud accounts and offered functionality not found in their other email app? :rolleyes:

Lol - probably much the same as already goes on.

But yes, I completely agree. Android isn't as perfect as some would believe.

sentinelsx
May 8, 2013, 01:37 PM
I hope google solves their messaging, email, browser, and some other issues in 4.3 or whatever it is. If they do, I will have no issue keeping a nexus 4 till it breaks. It's time they start polishing the experience instead of piling more stuff.

jrswizzle
May 8, 2013, 01:39 PM
I hope google solves their messaging, email, browser, and some other issues in 4.3 or whatever it is. If they do, I will have no issue keeping a nexus 4 till it breaks. It's time they start polishing the experience instead of piling more stuff.

Completely agree. IMO, the polish is what keeps me in the iOS camp - that and the familiarity (and I just like all these mobile devices :p)

blackhand1001
May 8, 2013, 01:42 PM

What email provider do you use. You likely set it up as a pop email which doesn't support push on iOS either. If its a hotmail/outlook email you can set it up as activsync.

Toltepeceno
May 8, 2013, 01:57 PM
I've been using k9 mail probably since 2011, I like it best for multiple accounts. I have tried pretty much all of them *except aquamail* but keep going back to k9. I will try aquamail now though, thanks.

vhl71
May 8, 2013, 02:25 PM
I've been using k9 mail probably since 2011, I like it best for multiple accounts. I have tried pretty much all of them *except aquamail* but keep going back to k9. I will try aquamail now though, thanks.

try inomail

appledes7
May 8, 2013, 02:53 PM
What email provider do you use. You likely set it up as a pop email which doesn't support push on iOS either. If its a hotmail/outlook email you can set it up as activsync.

Not sure what you are talking about since you are not being very specific. Are you talking about the stock email app? If so, I tried my iCloud, GMail, Yahoo, personal email through Google Apps, one of my school emails, and Outlook. The only one of those that is Pop is Outlook. Sorry, but I am not sure what your point is...

Toltepeceno
May 8, 2013, 03:26 PM
try inomail

OK, I will. I just tried aquamail and like it a lot. I will try inomail.

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 05:50 PM
i tested aquamail with my icloud email account and gmail.Gmails get pushed and arrives instantly..but icloud unless i check manually or baseed on the interval set it doesnt get pushed automatically

Inomail gets my icloud mail way before aquamail does..

Why???

Easiest thing is to long onto icloud.com, go into mail, preferences, and add a gmail account for your icloud email to be forwarded to.

The GMAIL app then on your phone will get your icloud email, and it will be pushed properly to your android device.

To use gmail to reply with your icloud account, add that to gmail settings in a standard web browser and you'll be sorted for incoming and outgoing mail via gmail for all your icloud stuff.

GMAIL's junk filter is arguably better too.

Tinmania
May 8, 2013, 06:43 PM
Easiest thing is to long onto icloud.com, go into mail, preferences, and add a gmail account for your icloud email to be forwarded to.

The GMAIL app then on your phone will get your icloud email, and it will be pushed properly to your android device.

To use gmail to reply with your icloud account, add that to gmail settings in a standard web browser and you'll be sorted for incoming and outgoing mail via gmail for all your icloud stuff.

GMAIL's junk filter is arguably better too.

We have now come full-circle.

Michael

MacRumorUser
May 9, 2013, 12:44 AM
We have now come full-circle.

Michael

Lol.. True. But it really is the easiest because the gmail app on android is better than majority of the 3rd party paid alternatives.

demisb
May 9, 2013, 08:16 AM

Click the Accounts tab.

Michael

Thanks a lot Michael, I got it!
Giving it a try now to see if this works for me :)

LIVEFRMNYC
May 9, 2013, 10:31 PM
On the S4, just lost my exchange support with on the email app. :(

So now I'm using the Gmail app for gmails.

I'm using the Email app to push my Hotmail and pull my .Me account.

I don't mind using both.

The only thing that's bothering me is that Gmail doesn't have unread badge on the icon.

appledes7
May 10, 2013, 02:01 AM
On the S4, just lost my exchange support with on the email app. :(

So now I'm using the Gmail app for gmails.

I'm using the Email app to push my Hotmail and pull my .Me account.

I don't mind using both.

The only thing that's bothering me is that Gmail doesn't have unread badge on the icon.

TeslaUnread Plugin?

SlCKB0Y
May 12, 2013, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry - I'm not paranoid and don't really care about Google taking my info, but the fact that they purposefully withhold features from THEIR stock email app just to funnel you into Gmail is ridiculous.

Yep, Google directing more active development towards the email client which supports their own service?!?! OUTRAGEOUS!!! :rolleyes:

Fernandez21
May 12, 2013, 09:59 AM
Yep, Google directing more active development towards the email client which supports their own service?!?! OUTRAGEOUS!!! :rolleyes:

It is when that's the only way to do it. It would be like outlook only working with Microsoft mail, and iPhone only working with icloud. It's looking out for the company's best interest instead of your customers, and that will obviously rub people the wrong way.

Tinmania
May 12, 2013, 12:04 PM
It is when that's the only way to do it. It would be like outlook only working with Microsoft mail, and iPhone only working with icloud. It's looking out for the company's best interest instead of your customers, and that will obviously rub people the wrong way.
And yet the Outlook.com email app, like the Hotmail app that preceded it, only supports outlook.com/Hotmail. Funny that.

Michael

sentinelsx
May 12, 2013, 12:23 PM

Well, the issue is, why do they even bother bundling an "email" app that is so lackluster to begin with.......

If they are giving me an email app on stock android, can't they at least give it all the gmail features? It is their OS after all right? So much better if my work email and personal gmail can be separated and used through the stock email.

----------

iPhone only working with icloud.

The difference here is the iPhone mail works with everything and offers all the features of other emails. I used gmail labels with ease and all the operations where supported. Hell i can even do it now minus push because google no longer supports exchange for consumers.

It is night and day difference between iOS stock mail app and stock android stock mail app.

Fernandez21
May 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
And yet the Outlook.com email app, like the Hotmail app that preceded it, only supports outlook.com/Hotmail. Funny that.

Michael

Talking about outlook for the pc.

----------

Well, the issue is, why do they even bother bundling an "email" app that is so lackluster to begin with.......

If they are giving me an email app on stock android, can't they at least give it all the gmail features? It is their OS after all right? So much better if my work email and personal gmail can be separated and used through the stock email.

----------

The difference here is the iPhone mail works with everything and offers all the features of other emails. I used gmail labels with ease and all the operations where supported. Hell i can even do it now minus push because google no longer supports exchange for consumers.

It is night and day difference between iOS stock mail app and stock android stock mail app.

I'm in agreement with you.

LIVEFRMNYC
May 12, 2013, 03:45 PM

----------

In my experience, the mail app on iOS is not capable of deleting gmails. Even if you turn off the settings for archive, when you delete it still archives. This is why when I archive or delete unread messages, sometimes will will end up coming back to my mail app inbox eventually. I haven't used any email app that is perfect for gmail expect the gmail app(lastest updated) itself. Like someone else mentioned, too bad the gmail app doesn't allow other mail services.

But I do agree with you that the stock email android app should have been made to handle this from the beginning. With any other email service, the email app is pretty flawless especially now that it auto fits instead of being zoomed in.

Hastings101
May 12, 2013, 06:07 PM
When I was trying out a Sony phone I used Aquamail, it was pretty good. HTC's phones have a built in mail app that is awesome though so I've stuck to it instead.

tbayrgs
May 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
When I was trying out a Sony phone I used Aquamail, it was pretty good. HTC's phones have a built in mail app that is awesome though so I've stuck to it instead.

Hope you're using an older HTC because the email app on the One is essentially the same garbage as the stock Android email app. There is no option to autofit messages, cannot zoom out to fully view and as far as I can tell, you have to approve the ability to view images on every individual message--total garbage.

Tinmania
May 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
Talking about outlook for the pc.

And I was talking about email apps for Android--the topic of this thread.

Michael

jrswizzle
May 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
Off topic - is there a way to edit a poll after you've created it?

----------

In my experience, the mail app on iOS is not capable of deleting gmails. Even if you turn off the settings for archive, when you delete it still archives. This is why when I archive or delete unread messages, sometimes will will end up coming back to my mail app inbox eventually. I haven't used any email app that is perfect for gmail expect the gmail app(lastest updated) itself. Like someone else mentioned, too bad the gmail app doesn't allow other mail services.

But I do agree with you that the stock email android app should have been made to handle this from the beginning. With any other email service, the email app is pretty flawless especially now that it auto fits instead of being zoomed in.

I delete my gmails from my iPhone.....no idea why yours sticks on archive.

LIVEFRMNYC
May 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
I delete my gmails from my iPhone.....no idea why yours sticks on archive.

Go to your gmail on your browser. Everything you think you deleted is probably still there.

jrswizzle
May 13, 2013, 12:31 PM
Go to your gmail on your browser. Everything you think you deleted is probably still there.

No....its gone. Also gone from all my other devices with my gmail on them.

tbayrgs
May 13, 2013, 12:44 PM

Yup, same here, I delete them using Mail on my iPad and they're gone. Checked using my HTC One and via browser to verify.

I have to be honest though, I have accidentally hit the archive button on the Gmail client on my HTC One and it disappears from my inbox. Where exactly do archived messages go? I don't see a separate label/folder for them.

sentinelsx
May 13, 2013, 12:44 PM

Just tested it, they are deleted. It works :)

LIVEFRMNYC
May 13, 2013, 05:45 PM

Is that setup push/exchange or pull? And did you check the "All Mail" folder?

sentinelsx
May 13, 2013, 06:15 PM
Is that setup push/exchange or pull? And did you check the "All Mail" folder?

Push doesn't work on ios mail anymore for gmail. No more exchange support.

All mail contains everything including your trash folder by the way. The emails I delete on my pc also show up in "all mail".

LIVEFRMNYC
May 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
Push doesn't work on ios mail anymore for gmail. No more exchange support.

All mail contains everything including your trash folder by the way. The emails I delete on my pc also show up in "all mail".

It does still work if you already had your device setup for it. Will not work on a new device. I'm still using Push on my iPad2.

All Mail folder does not include emails that are in the Trash folder. I just checked to verify.

sentinelsx
May 13, 2013, 06:20 PM
It does still work if you already had your device setup for it. Will not work on a new device. I'm still using Push on my iPad2.

No more for mine as I didn't set it up when I had the chance.

tbayrgs
May 13, 2013, 06:20 PM

So am I (iPad Mini) and deleted messages are still deleted.

purplekush604
Sep 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
Just got the s4 yesterday and HATE the mail app!!!! What app has the same features and interface? Would you prefer aqua mail or maildroid?

Thanks

appledes7
Sep 15, 2013, 11:10 PM
Just got the s4 yesterday and HATE the mail app!!!! What app has the same features and interface? Would you prefer aqua mail or maildroid?

Thanks

I'm all K9 at the moment. But I've used aqua mail too. Both offer good feature sets.

purplekush604
Sep 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
I'm all K9 at the moment. But I've used aqua mail too. Both offer good feature sets.

Thanks, I have a lot of folders in my mailbox, and are any of the apps on adrioid similar to the iphone native mail app where you can view all folders anytime? i have 4 different email accounts.

thanks

appledes7
Sep 16, 2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I have a lot of folders in my mailbox, and are any of the apps on adrioid similar to the iphone native mail app where you can view all folders anytime? i have 4 different email accounts.

thanks

View all your folders for every account at once or all folders for each individual account?

purplekush604
Sep 16, 2013, 08:17 PM
View all your folders for every account at once or all folders for each individual account?

Im somewhat confused. I just like the process on the iphone. Like how i can view all inboxes, or view each account individually, and even see the subfolders that i crated myself. Hope that is somewhat clearer.

thanks

appledes7
Sep 16, 2013, 08:22 PM
Im somewhat confused. I just like the process on the iphone. Like how i can view all inboxes, or view each account individually, and even see the subfolders that i crated myself. Hope that is somewhat clearer.

thanks

Ok. K9 and AquaMail can both perform those functions. Just the design will be different. But yes, they can both show you a combined inbox as well as user-created folders per account.

The Game 161
Sep 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
always used stock without an issue personally.

appledes7
Sep 16, 2013, 09:11 PM
always used stock without an issue personally.

Stock on 4.2 and 4.3 never gave me push notifications for IMAP accounts.

The Game 161
Sep 16, 2013, 09:13 PM
Stock on 4.2 and 4.3 never gave me push notifications for IMAP accounts.

what mail apps do on android?

appledes7
Sep 16, 2013, 09:25 PM
what mail apps do on android?

I haven't used all email apps on Android, but obviously K9 and Aquamail support it, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about them so much on this thread ;)

purplekush604
Sep 17, 2013, 12:08 AM
I haven't used all email apps on Android, but obviously K9 and Aquamail support it, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about them so much on this thread ;)

Thanks will give both a try. Which in youre opinion has better push/email retreiving? I usually turned off push on my iphone and set it at 15min intervals

GR33NIE
Sep 17, 2013, 03:57 AM
I'm hoping the default mail app is something they update in KitKat. It's ok but coming from iOS too... the experience is certainly not as good!

Will give Aqua Mail a look though :)

appledes7
Sep 17, 2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks will give both a try. Which in youre opinion has better push/email retreiving? I usually turned off push on my iphone and set it at 15min intervals

I have had some issues with aqua mail in the past in relation to notifications. So I'd say try K9 first, plus it's free.

Spacial
Sep 17, 2013, 08:19 PM
Here's a link to the best eMail app in Google Play. It works with any email provider, has great easy features, and its speedy and free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daum.android.solmail

Evnor
Sep 18, 2013, 04:43 AM
Here's a link to the best eMail app in Google Play. It works with any email provider, has great easy features, and its speedy and free.

Thanks for the link. Downloaded the app and I like it a lot so far. UI is nice and polished.

Works fine with my gmail and outlook accounts except I canīt delete messages for some reason.

Peterg2
Sep 18, 2013, 08:01 AM

Hardly the best on the play store. It does not support EAS (Exchange Active Sync) nor does it support IMAP IDLE. For someone having rudimentary email requirements it may work well.

purplekush604
Sep 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
Hey guys
I tried k9 and aqua mail. Both are good, i like the interface on aqua better. I have one issue, my folders are not showing up. Any suggestions?
Thanks

appledes7
Sep 23, 2013, 12:14 AM
Hey guys
I tried k9 and aqua mail. Both are good, i like the interface on aqua better. I have one issue, my folders are not showing up. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I think I had this problem back when I used aqua. I had to dig through the settings in order to get it working properly.

daveathall
Sep 23, 2013, 01:04 AM
I use MailDroid Pro and have had no problems with it. :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid

purplekush604
Sep 23, 2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the replies
As far as aqua mail, i tried everything. My yahoo folders show up, but noty hotmail ones. Also i was testing the email, and it never showed any notifications that i received an email, i had to click on the app, than refresh.

I will try maildroid today.
I love the android/galaxy, but just want my email setup like the stock mail app on ios6.

purplekush604
Sep 24, 2013, 09:02 PM
I use MailDroid Pro and have had no problems with it. :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid

Hey guys, I tried maildroid but its asking me for "server name" and id. I tried the outlook app from microsoft, good push notifications, but it only loads up to 1 month, if i could load "all" i MIGHT have been sold on it.

coldjeanzzz
Sep 24, 2013, 10:26 PM
The guys from Any.do are supposed to be making a new Mail app, no idea when it is coming. I don't even know if it's coming out for Android but I assume it is since they are bringing Cal to Android soon.

robdam1001
Jan 5, 2014, 08:40 PM
+1 for Kaiten and I've tried the ALL. It's not perfect but it sure is close.

yinz
Jan 5, 2014, 08:59 PM
Has anyone tried SolMail?

edit: nevermind, I just saw the link above.

robdam1001
Jan 6, 2014, 05:39 AM
I have and it's awesome EXCEPT you don't have the ability to click on url links embedded in emails. This lack of functionality is a deal breaker for me. Has anyone tried SolMail?

edit: nevermind, I just saw the link above.

sentinelsx
Jan 6, 2014, 12:54 PM
I have tried, aqua, kaiten, K9, sol, maildroid, boomerang, cloudmagic, K-@, evomail, even paid for some of them, but now i settled on AOSP email for my outlook account (it pushes outlook, but not gmail, funny) and Gmail for my gmail account.

Still miss mailbox from iOS. But i guess have to settle with these two for now.

----------

The guys from Any.do are supposed to be making a new Mail app, no idea when it is coming. I don't even know if it's coming out for Android but I assume it is since they are bringing Cal to Android soon.

I hope they do a better job than they did on Cal. I thought it was the long -awaited answer to fantastical on iOS, alas it is not. Uninstalled after a week long try run. What a waste.

Still can't find something really nice for calendars. Digical comes very close to what i want but still not as much. I doubt the fantastical team is going to make their app for android any soon sigh :(.

coldjeanzzz
Jan 6, 2014, 05:44 PM
I have tried, aqua, kaiten, K9, sol, maildroid, boomerang, cloudmagic, K-@, evomail, even paid for some of them, but now i settled on AOSP email for my outlook account (it pushes outlook, but not gmail, funny) and Gmail for my gmail account.

Still miss mailbox from iOS. But i guess have to settle with these two for now.

----------

I hope they do a better job than they did on Cal. I thought it was the long -awaited answer to fantastical on iOS, alas it is not. Uninstalled after a week long try run. What a waste.

Still can't find something really nice for calendars. Digical comes very close to what i want but still not as much. I doubt the fantastical team is going to make their app for android any soon sigh :(.

Cal is pretty, but that's about it. It's so laggy and not very enjoyable to use. Disappointing since Any.do was done so well (the to-do app).

TacticalDesire
Jan 6, 2014, 05:47 PM
For email on the go, the stock gmail app is plenty for me.