Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hey guys!

I've had my iTunes Library for several years, and when you delete a track, you can either keep the file, or move it to the trash.

Many times, I've clicked "keep file" by an accident, so the file is still on the disk.

This has resulted in iTunes showing my library is 87.82 GB, but the "iTunes Music" folder is 121 GB.

Is there any way, I can delete those "loose" files that aren't in my library? Any free software to do this?

I'd like to keep my playlists, playcount etc., so it should be none destructive.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Uncheck all your songs. Then add your entire media folder to your library. It will only add the items not already in your library and will automatically check them. Create a smart playlist for only checked items, which will quickly identify all those tracks. Then delete them from your library and delete the files.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Uncheck all your songs. Then add your entire media folder to your library. It will only add the items not already in your library and will automatically check them. Create a smart playlist for only checked items, which will quickly identify all those tracks. Then delete them from your library and delete the files.

You, sir, are my hero!

Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.