Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelroj7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
My MacBook was stolen yesterday :/ at school. I used find my Mac to locate it and nothing says offline. Can I find it?

If the person reformats or puts in a new one, will find my Mac still work? Or is it gone forever? :/ Can it be traced through its MAC address? Plz help

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
My MacBook was stolen yesterday :/ at school. I used find my Mac to locate it and nothing says offline. Can I find it?

If the person reformats or puts in a new one, will find my Mac still work? Or is it gone forever? :/ Can it be traced through its MAC address? Plz help

Unfortunatly your macbook will only report back to the find my iDevice when it is connected to the internet. So unless you have it set to auto-login or dont have a password on your account there is a very slim chance it will "Call home"

Also if the thief formats your macbook it will not call home as your iCloud / Mobile Me account will have been removed from the macbook.

Best option you have is to call your insurance/police and report it stolen. Collect the insturance money and buy a new one restoring your data with Time Machine. You have got a backup havnt you.

angelroj7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Unfortunatly your macbook will only report back to the find my iDevice when it is connected to the internet. So unless you have it set to auto-login or dont have a password on your account there is a very slim chance it will "Call home"

Also if the thief formats your macbook it will not call home as your iCloud / Mobile Me account will have been removed from the macbook.

Best option you have is to call your insurance/police and report it stolen. Collect the insturance money and buy a new one restoring your data with Time Machine. You have got a backup havnt you.

So if they reformatted my hard drive im out of luck? :/
It cant be traced through the mac address?

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
No not unless they connect to the internet and your mac "Phones home" your out of luck.

I think there was a story where someone reported the serial number of their stolen mac to apple and they blacklisted it so when it was seen in an apple store if anyone braught it in for service then it woudl be flagged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.