PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 4 PowerMac G4s?

htg
May 7, 2013, 10:43 AM
I need some inspiration as to what I could do with four PowerMac G4s I've got sitting in a corner doing nothing. Selling them is difficult especially considering they have no hard drives, and I'm reluctant to recycle them as they are working machines.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind freeing up some space in my room.

Two are quick silvers, two are MDDs.

overanalyzer
May 7, 2013, 11:04 AM
If you Google "g4 powermac conversion", you can find lots of how-tos about reusing the case to build a new computer. But seeing as you're reluctant to get rid of them because they're "working computers", I assume you're looking for a use of the current hardware (albeit with new hard drives). There are some charities and companies that will take old computers and donate them to schools in Africa, so that might be an option.

----------

Hmm, at least one of those charities won't taken computers more than 8 years old. So even donating them might be out, but you could check around.

htg
May 7, 2013, 11:25 AM
If you Google "g4 powermac conversion", you can find lots of how-tos about reusing the case to build a new computer. But seeing as you're reluctant to get rid of them because they're "working computers", I assume you're looking for a use of the current hardware (albeit with new hard drives). There are some charities and companies that will take old computers and donate them to schools in Africa, so that might be an option.

----------

Hmm, at least one of those charities won't taken computers more than 8 years old. So even donating them might be out, but you could check around.

What originally happened was that I bought a job lot of five, and used one for a case conversion (I now have a killer PC inside a PowerMac G4). In hindsight, it was foolish to buy five, but it was easily the cheapest way to do it.

Southern Dad
May 7, 2013, 04:58 PM
Do you coupon? Slap a small hard drive in each one... You are allowed to print two IP coupons per computer you own. That's 10 coupons. Just saying.

Lil Chillbil
May 7, 2013, 08:48 PM
Bit coin mining anyone. just max them all out hook them up in your basement or attic and run them 24/7 making you monay

MisterKeeks
May 7, 2013, 09:05 PM
Bit coin mining anyone. just max them all out hook them up in your basement or attic and run them 24/7 making you monay

Losing money. The cost of power outweighs the money earned. they run at 1 or less mhash/second or something like that.

OP: Maybe a jukebox (http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=Tips/jukebox/jukebox1.html), maybe a file server, maybe an OS9 gaming sort of thing, maybe an arcade machine (http://mameosx.sourceforge.net/), maybe a space heater, maybe just an internet browser in a different room.

SawyerTHEBEST
May 7, 2013, 11:03 PM
Do you coupon? Slap a small hard drive in each one... You are allowed to print two IP coupons per computer you own. That's 10 coupons. Just saying.

I don't get this coupon thing? couldn't you install a new os / even boot a linux from usb to print these coupons?

----------

hopefully the mining difficulty goes to powerpc some day then we will be the ones laughing ^_^

ReanimationLP
May 7, 2013, 11:40 PM
If they all work, load them with an OS.

If they are OS9 capable, you can easily resell them to people looking to use their older Pro Tools gear.

In early 2009 I got over 500 dollars for my Dual 1 GHz Quicksilver G4 with 1.5 GB of memory and a 160GB HDD, Radeon 9000 Pro GPU.

Was gone within a day. Person wanted it for older Adobe software / Protools.

666sheep
May 8, 2013, 03:21 AM
If you're asking what to do with them, it means that you don't really need them at all.
Keep fastest one, sell the rest without HDDs. Prepare one HDD with installed OS to make screenshots on each machine. Post them in your ad to ensure potential buyers that Macs are working, just no HDDs.

MaxHeap
May 8, 2013, 07:59 PM
Funny..I have four also and don't know what to do with mine either. I rescued and repaired them all (all weren't working when I got them).