PDA

View Full Version : Viber Moves From iOS to Mac with New Desktop App

MacRumors
May 7, 2013, 12:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/07/viber-moves-from-ios-to-mac-with-new-desktop-app/)

Popular free messaging and VOIP app Viber (http://www.viber.com) is expanding (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130507005919/en/Viber-Releases-Desktop-Version---You'll-Sit) from the iPhone to the desktop with the release of Viber Desktop for PC and Mac.

The new desktop app allows users to initiate both video chats and voice calls, much like competing app Skype. Messages sync instantly across all platforms, and the app includes functionality that lets users begin a call on a smartphone and pick it up on a computer.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/Desktop-PC-and-Mac.jpgViber Desktop and the latest versions of the Viber app were designed from the ground up for individuals using Viber on multiple devices, so you can always use the app that's right for you, whether at home, in school, at the office, or on the go. Viber offers far more flexibility than any similar product.While Viber supports texting, voice calls, and video chats, it does not yet support conference calls or mobile-to-mobile video calls. Alongside today's desktop release, the company has also updated its mobile apps, adding video messages, a new voice engine for better sound quality, and an improved photo sharing experience.

NEqS5W-KfRw
Viber for Mac and Viber for iOS are both free downloads. Viber for PC and Mac can be downloaded from the Viber website (http://www.viber.com/products/mac/) while Viber (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/viber-free-phone-calls) for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/viber-free-phone-calls-text/id382617920?mt=8)]

Article Link: Viber Moves From iOS to Mac with New Desktop App (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/07/viber-moves-from-ios-to-mac-with-new-desktop-app/)

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
May 7, 2013, 12:27 PM
Maybe it's time for WhatsApp to get a move on as well.

aajeevlin
May 7, 2013, 12:34 PM
Sadly I have stopped using Viber awhile back, when most people switched to iMessage. And for international calling I find Skype to still have the best quality.

Amazing Iceman
May 7, 2013, 12:41 PM
With so many instant messaging apps, it prefer to stick to mainstream:

I can't afford to have a ton of apps running on my Mac to just to please everyone' s IM app choices. It takes away from my Mac's performance.

If something comes that's better than Skype I may switch if most of my contacts also switch.

srxtr
May 7, 2013, 12:41 PM

Seriously, it's almost like WhatsApp WANTS some other company to take over

Yvan256
May 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
We don't use 50 different email clients. Email is email.

I wish companies would just sit down and use the same standards and protocols for instant messaging, voice and video. Yes, I know, XMPP... :rolleyes:

I remember Steve Jobs, during a Keynote, announcing that the Facetime protocols would become open-source. What happened to that promise? :(

iOrbit
May 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
im happy about this. i'v used skype for several years now, but in the past 2 years its service quality has dwindled down to rubbish -

frequent call drops and disconnects, crashing.

in the old days (early 2012 and prior) it would hold up a call for hours. nowadays i expect a call drop several times an hour.

AbSoluTc
May 7, 2013, 12:52 PM
iMessage here. Only need it on Windows now to complete the cycle.

I, for the 1 billionth time, still don't get the appeal of WhatsApp. Tried it before it was released and after. It requires everyone you know to have it. Everyone I know, doesn't have it. They all have iPhones as well. What's the point? I guess I can understand it's use for non iOS users?

needfx
May 7, 2013, 01:00 PM
I can't afford to have a ton of apps running on my Mac to just to please everyone' s IM app choices.

this is actually an issue as they do expect you to comply (especially on mobile platforms)

----------

I remember Steve Jobs, during a Keynote, announcing that the Facetime protocols would become open-source. What happened to that promise? :(

he doesn't work at apple anymore

coolfactor
May 7, 2013, 01:11 PM
Sadly I have stopped using Viber awhile back, when most people switched to iMessage. And for international calling I find Skype to still have the best quality.

My experience is the opposite. While iMessage would be my first choice, I've found it to be unreliable at maintaining a proper connection with some people, be they on a cellular network or a home wifi network. Not sure what causes the messages to not be delivered consistently. I don't experience this issue with any of the other messaging apps that I use - Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, Nimbuzz - only iMessage suffers this flakiness problem.

And as for video/voice quality, I find FaceTime far superior to Skype and it handles dropped calls much more gracefully. Skype reconnects automatically, but in audio-only mode, which is very annoying for such a handy feature. The only plus to Skype is that the volume is louder for me on iOS devices than FaceTime.

----------

I, for the 1 billionth time, still don't get the appeal of WhatsApp. Tried it before it was released and after. It requires everyone you know to have it. Everyone I know, doesn't have it. They all have iPhones as well. What's the point? I guess I can understand it's use for non iOS users?

I struggled with accepting WhatsApp until I tried it. It is actually a very well-built application with great features. While I always try to use iMessage when available, I've found WhatsApp to be useful. However, my use case is very limited.

I also struggled with the name for a long time until I realized it was a play on the words "What's Up?" :-)

Michael Goff
May 7, 2013, 01:11 PM
this is actually an issue as they do expect you to comply (especially on mobile platforms)

----------

And it wasn't even going to be open WHEN he was in charge.

Why do people keep bringing that up? Apple lied, move on.

coolfactor
May 7, 2013, 01:12 PM

I still hold a candle of hope that they'll follow-through on this promise. Make the protocol open, and then provide the best experience through the iMessage and Messages apps. The protocol shouldn't be held hostage.

star-affinity
May 7, 2013, 01:13 PM
If something comes that's better than Skype I may switch if most of my contacts also switch.

What I don't like with Skype it that you have to log in and that it seems to drain the battery more on iOS devices when logged in. With Viber one doesn't have to log in. The messages and calls come through anyway.

coolfactor
May 7, 2013, 01:15 PM
With so many instant messaging apps, it prefer to stick to mainstream:

I'm trying to wean myself off of Skype simply because it's now owned by Microsoft. :-)

----------

What I don't like with Skype it that you have to log in and that it seems to drain the battery more on iOS devices when logged in. With Viber one doesn't have to log in. The messages and calls come through anyway.

With Viber, you're still connected to the Viber network. You have a validated connection.

Skype's log-in process is just overly-complicated and takes a long time. Typical Microsoft bloat.

bushido
May 7, 2013, 01:18 PM

well i heard its not so big in the US but in the rest of the world. 116 of my 128 contacts have whatsapp.

it just seems more reliable than iMessage to me where sending pictures is taking forever or doesnt sent it all.

its also nice to see and check when a certain someone was online the last time :D

Amazing Iceman
May 7, 2013, 01:33 PM

Mmm.. I gotta check on that. How's videoconferencing compared to Skype and FaceTime?

----------

well i heard its not so big in the US but in the rest of the world. 116 of my 128 contacts have whatsapp.

it just seems more reliable than iMessage to me where sending pictures is taking forever or doesnt sent it all.

its also nice to see and check when a certain someone was online the last time :D

I never had problems sending pics in iMessage. I don't send very often, but when I do, it's usually 5 pics at once.

----------

I'm trying to wean myself off of Skype simply because it's now owned by Microsoft. :-)

And tomorrow it may be owned by Intuit; then I'll stop using it for sure.

Actually I liked the fact that Skype and Live Messenger are now integrated; it freed me from one IM Client. I already dumped Oovoo and ICQ, so only two left for now it's not bad. Then there's Tango and others, but seem like data miners to me.

RevTEG
May 7, 2013, 02:59 PM
I love Viber. My family travels and lives several months a year overseas. Viber is our go to app. It works great cross platform. We love being able to get a local sim in "whatever" country we happen to be in and make calls back home for only the cost of the data. Keeps us in touch at all times.

tann
May 7, 2013, 03:18 PM

Most of the world runs on non-iOS phones, so it's quite popular for most people. Obviously if you don't know anyone who uses it, fair enough.

RolyPolyBird
May 7, 2013, 03:46 PM
Whats with the massive use of white space? Don't developers understand that most people use IM apps whilst doing a lot of other things? Skype also went this route, its incredibly frustrating.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what your people use, in my case its Skype and as others are saying, Skype is on a perpetual journey to faildom.

Really disappointing that somebody does not develop a game changer in this field.

ThunderSkunk
May 7, 2013, 04:00 PM
Skype is on a perpetual journey to faildom.

Really disappointing that somebody does not develop a game changer in this field.

It's unthinkable to me that in 2013, no ones put a decent VoIP service together. Blows my mind. Things were looking up with Skype, before they gracefully arc'd over and did a swan dive, into an empty pool.

Apple easily could have cleaned up iChat alongside FaceTime.
iChat, handled video, voice, screensharing, conferencing, and messaging.
It was great if not a tangle to set up.

Now a few scattered fragments of that are all that remains.

Everything goes to crap eventually.

Rossatron
May 7, 2013, 04:13 PM
Sweet! I guess whatsapp really dropped the ball here

RolyPolyBird
May 7, 2013, 04:27 PM
It was great if not a tangle to set up..

Yup Apple could have brought out a rival to Skype that was multi platform- iTunes style. There are so many firms that could tackle this, including telecom carriers, but they don't want to harm existing business models. I guess we just have to wait (hope?) for better days.

Kilamite
May 7, 2013, 04:35 PM
Not working properly for me with texts - someone replies and it creates a new conversation with their number (not contact name), but if I reply to that one, it says "this contact doesn't have Viber yet..." but works fine if I switch back to the conversation with the contact name it sends, but all replies keep coming into the other one.

Also, when using the Mac client, the notifications don't clear on my iPhone, so I end up with loads.

Can't resize each window pane, and CMD+SHIFT + [ ] doesn't switch between conversation tabs like it does in iMessages and web browsers.

Lot of room for improvement. Progress though, would like to be able to combine Viber and WhatsApp into iMessages and have one IM for everything.

AdrianK
May 7, 2013, 04:45 PM
Fired again?!

RevTEG
May 7, 2013, 05:30 PM
Humm.... I have loaded and reloaded the Viber several times on my MacBook. I get the text code. I can even type in a phone number on my Mac and the text syncs with my iPhone. However, my contacts are not syncing with the Mac version.. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

agenda893
May 7, 2013, 05:45 PM
Useless clods. I had a question about their service and filled out the online customer service form. Moments later I got this poorly formatted response (needless to say I won't ask twice or use a service with this level of customer support and lack of judgement in line spacing):

Thanks for contacting us.

Please do not reply

In order to supply you with accurate support, we ask you to open a support ticket by directing your browser to the correct department, or to our support tickets

"Help us help you."

Immediate solution, please visit "Ask Viber Support" at:

http://support.viber.com

*Business requests:

http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/2

*Open support ticket

http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/1

We take the reports you send us very seriously. However, due to the enormous amount of requests we receive daily, we will not be able to reply to this email.

*We can only reply to our support form tickets

Again we thank you for your cooperation, and for helping us make Viber a better product.

Set your calls Free!

The Viber Team

Viber support site: http://helpme.viber.com

Support Center: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?

needfx
May 7, 2013, 05:51 PM
lack of judgement in line spacing

A+ for effort!

Michael Goff
May 7, 2013, 06:19 PM
Yup Apple could have brought out a rival to Skype that was multi platform- iTunes style. There are so many firms that could tackle this, including telecom carriers, but they don't want to harm existing business models. I guess we just have to wait (hope?) for better days.

Apple can't make Windows software for the life of them. They've proven that with Safari and iTunes. They can code for OS X and iOS, but everything they make on Windows is bad.

Saladinos
May 7, 2013, 08:40 PM

WhatsApp doesn't even work on my iPad because it doesn't have a phone number. They have work to do before they get to Mac/PC.

bedifferent
May 8, 2013, 12:36 AM
It's unthinkable to me that in 2013, no ones put a decent VoIP service together. Blows my mind. Things were looking up with Skype, before they gracefully arc'd over and did a swan dive, into an empty pool.

It was great if not a tangle to set up.

Now a few scattered fragments of that are all that remains.

Everything goes to crap eventually.

Agreed. I really liked the "Answering Machine" feature introduced in an iChat Leopard beta. Setting an outgoing video away message and leaving one in return was great, especially for hearing impaired contacts. Seems there are too many companies and apps and little standardization or streamlining for cross platform ease of use.

Karllake
May 8, 2013, 03:01 AM
I use viber a lot as send a large amount of international messages, imessage always runs the risk when data is poor that it will send as text, this is could end up being quite expensive. I know this function is optional but when sending domestic text I want it on, viber is no risk.

I was looking forward to seeing the Mac/PC version of the software but am hugely disappointed with it.

1) It doesn't upload your existing messages
2) Emoji Emoticon don't work
3) Stickers don't work
4) You are required to have the software on a mobile device, this means is isn't really cross platform, just cross platform if you have a smart phone.

I hope they continue to improve as Skype, and particular there customer services, are the worst company I've ever dealt with.

roadbloc
May 8, 2013, 03:22 AM
I don't think this is going to knock Skype off its podium.

silvetti
May 8, 2013, 06:10 AM
Main feature of Viber against Skype (on mobile):

Skype needs to be online and SUCKS HUGE AMMOUNTS OF BATTERY.

Viber does not run on background, when someone calls or texts you get a push notification which allows you to A: read the message of B: pick up the call.

Viber uses absolutely 0 battery when no one is texting or calling you which is quite the opposite with Skyp.e

szw-mapple fan
May 8, 2013, 06:23 AM
Apple can't make Windows software for the life of them. They've proven that with Safari and iTunes. They can code for OS X and iOS, but everything they make on Windows is bad.

Did you know that iTunes is the No.1 app on windows? I don't have a problem using it on my PC.

Viber
May 8, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hi,
This is an official representative from Viber. :)
We are thrilled about our new releases, and we hope that our users and fans out there will make the most out of them!

As usual, we're here to address our users' questions and doubts directly. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 09:13 AM
Did you know that iTunes is the No.1 app on windows? I don't have a problem using it on my PC.

iTunes is the #1 most used app, maybe, but that has more to do with the fact that people have gotten used to it. People have -had- to use it fo so long that they think it's okay.

If you think it's okay, then obviously you've never used it on OS X.

>_>;

DrWeevil
May 8, 2013, 09:19 AM

It's HUGE when travelling around Europe. Just came back from a trip around Germany, Spain, and Italy. Almost NOBODY uses SMS. If they have an iPhone, they mostly use iMessage... but there are a lot of people on Android as well, so EVERYBODY there, iPhone or otherwise, has WhatsApp. Don't know too many people with Viber... but with the addition of the desktop app, it makes it infinitely more useful for me. I am a physician; my normal med assistant has ain iPhone so when I need her to do something I don't have to poke my head out of the room and disrupt the flow of the visit... i just iMessage her from my Mac. BUT, on days when she's out, other assistants have Android phones, and my days get screwed up and appointments drag on a little more. Now with Viber having the desktop app... I'll be able to do the same with the other assistants as well!

Baklava
May 8, 2013, 12:09 PM
WhatsApp with
- video + voice call
- support for iPad + Mac/PC
- cross-platform file transfer
would kill every other similar app... Skype included!

RolyPolyBird
May 8, 2013, 12:12 PM

I agree with you, but an IM client would be far less difficult than a browser or the bloated iTunes. And there is no way in hell they could have failed greater than Skype.

Kilamite
May 8, 2013, 12:26 PM
Hi,
This is an official representative from Viber. :)
We are thrilled about our new releases, and we hope that our users and fans out there will make the most out of them!

As usual, we're here to address our users' questions and doubts directly. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

1. In the UK, I had to enter my number as 44xxxxxxx instead of 0xxxxxxxx. That's fine, but there was no instructions to say that was the required format, so others may struggle.

2. I can't reply to messages - see here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17242104&postcount=23

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 12:37 PM
I agree with you, but an IM client would be far less difficult than a browser or the bloated iTunes. And there is no way in hell they could have failed greater than Skype.

You do realize Skype is the standard, right?

RolyPolyBird
May 8, 2013, 02:11 PM
You do realize Skype is the standard, right?

Its how things developed. There was so much promise about Skype, it came about at the right time and the alternatives were on the nose. Its domination is not about what an awesome product and service it is, its more about right position and moment in the IM and VOIP industry time line. They have been sh*ting on their legacy for the last few years.

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 04:32 PM
Its how things developed. There was so much promise about Skype, it came about at the right time and the alternatives were on the nose. Its domination is not about what an awesome product and service it is, its more about right position and moment in the IM and VOIP industry time line. They have been sh*ting on their legacy for the last few years.

So why haven't people moved on, if the app is so bad?

RolyPolyBird
May 8, 2013, 07:02 PM
So why haven't people moved on, if the app is so bad?

Thats exactly what we were talking about in this thread, no credible competition. The entire IM/Consumer VOIP industry has been stagnant or impotent in relation to mainstream success for the last few years.

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
Thats exactly what we were talking about in this thread, no credible competition. The entire IM/Consumer VOIP industry has been stagnant or impotent in relation to mainstream success for the last few years.

Except there is credible competition.

Almost everyone has a Google account, so there are Google+ hangouts. >_>

RolyPolyBird
May 8, 2013, 08:42 PM
Except there is credible competition.

Almost everyone has a Google account, so there are Google+ hangouts. >_>

Okay you are trolling me right? :) Somewhere I must have lost the irony.

Viber
May 9, 2013, 05:33 AM
@Kilamite -

We are aware of the problem with entering numbers in the UK, and we're trying to fix it at the moment.
We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Michael Goff
May 9, 2013, 08:41 AM
Okay you are trolling me right? :) Somewhere I must have lost the irony.

Errr.... No?

Why would I be trolling you?

szw-mapple fan
May 9, 2013, 10:17 AM
iTunes is the #1 most used app, maybe, but that has more to do with the fact that people have gotten used to it. People have -had- to use it fo so long that they think it's okay.

If you think it's okay, then obviously you've never used it on OS X.

>_>;

"obviously" is not "definitely", as I switched this Feburary to a mid 2012 13inch MBA. Never going back to Windows again. But still, before that I used iTunes 11 on a Sony Vaio and never had much problem (I grant you, it wasn't as smooth as it is on the mac, but it was still better than a lot of windows app out there).

Edit: BTW windows' Safari really sucked.

carl0sian
May 9, 2013, 11:40 AM

Agreed! I have the app but never use it.

RolyPolyBird
May 9, 2013, 09:30 PM
Errr.... No?

Why would I be trolling you?

I connect with a couple of hundred people from different walks of life all around the world and I have never heard somebody mention google + hangouts. I know a few people who signed up for google + accounts and then deleted them after a few months.

Michael Goff
May 10, 2013, 09:05 AM
I connect with a couple of hundred people from different walks of life all around the world and I have never heard somebody mention google + hangouts. I know a few people who signed up for google + accounts and then deleted them after a few months.

Ah, the good old "I don't know people who use..." thing.

I don't understand why people think their anecdotal evidence is actually... evidence of anything.

RolyPolyBird
May 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
Ah, the good old "I don't know people who use..." thing.

I don't understand why people think their anecdotal evidence is actually... evidence of anything.

Right. Where as you are relying on..?

star-affinity
May 16, 2013, 07:14 PM
Mmm.. I gotta check on that. How's videoconferencing compared to Skype and FaceTime?
Sorry for late reply. I don't know about the video quality of Viber compared to Skype and FaceTime. Haven't tried it yet.

Fleent
May 25, 2013, 10:05 AM
I think video quality of Facetime is best for now. Skype is not so good.

hafr
May 25, 2013, 11:00 AM

You can e-mail an entire conversation thread, in case you want to save a conversation or send it to someone else, or just back it up.

You can look at all the media sent to the conversation without having to scroll up and load it first.

You can actually quit a group conversation.

You can turn on/off notifications for individual conversations.

I mean, WhatsApp is the Batmobile and iMessage is a moped. If all you need to do is send a message or two from time to time, iMessage is definitely enough, but not understanding why someone with iOS might like WhatsApp is just being plain clueless.

wmwallace
Jun 6, 2013, 05:08 AM
Hi All new to this, sorry for butting into thread. I have downloaded viber and it works fine. I then go to use it the next day and I have to go through the whole procedure to get logged in again for a new code to be sent, can anyone help. This is on my Iphone 4s

Thanks wmwallace

Viber
Jun 8, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hi All new to this, sorry for butting into thread. I have downloaded viber and it works fine. I then go to use it the next day and I have to go through the whole procedure to get logged in again for a new code to be sent, can anyone help. This is on my Iphone 4s

Thanks wmwallace

Hi there,
This issue usually happens when trying to use the same number to register to Viber on more than 1 device simultaneously.

Is this the case?

oztalha
Aug 8, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hi, I got this error: "xyz has sent a video, but your Mac does not yet support videos ?" so what might be the codec Viber use for the videos?

That would be great if you said it here (http://viber.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/417/0/viber-desktop-hardware--system-requirements) or here (http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/61/viber-desktop).

Thanks.

Viber
Aug 11, 2013, 05:43 AM
Hi, I got this error: "xyz has sent a video, but your Mac does not yet support videos ?" so what might be the codec Viber use for the videos?

That would be great if you said it here (http://viber.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/417/0/viber-desktop-hardware--system-requirements) or here (http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/61/viber-desktop).

Thanks.

Hi,

Viber Desktop still does not support video messages. We plan to add it in future updates.
You are right - it should be pointed out in our HelpDesk, and we will make the necessary changes when we revise the relevant pages.

Thanks again!

Humex
Aug 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hi,
I hope a better design Viber in the future.
Enhancement : Why not use the notifications defaults on OS X?
Thanks.

egoistaxx9
Aug 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
thanks but no thanks, skype is the best call app for computers.

C DM
Aug 12, 2013, 08:05 PM
thanks but no thanks, skype is the best call app for computers.To each his/her own.

Viber
Aug 13, 2013, 01:07 AM
@Humex -

What do you mean notification defaults on OS X ? Please elaborate.

egoistaxx9
Aug 13, 2013, 02:35 PM
To each his/her own.

of course, to each his/her own.

so, you think viber is better?