Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
just curious..thinking about trying out the gs4, if I am not happy with by the time ip5s comes out, will get rid of it. how well do u think the gs4 will hold its value by the time sept/october rolls around (assuming good condition)?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think the S4 will sell at a decent price. The S3 16gb is going for $300 -$360 on craigslist and it's been out longer compared to the difference of the S4 and upcoming 5S release.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
About 350 maybe 325 depending on how much it sells. Gs3 is still worth 300 due to sales, the Htc Evo lte is worth maybe 200 and it came out at the same time almost.

The note 2 and gs3 still hold good value but the rest.... Not so just much.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I think the S4 will sell at a decent price. The S3 16gb is going for $300 -$360 on craigslist and it's been out longer compared to the difference of the S4 and upcoming 5S release.

5S or not, it's still a flagship and will be only around 6 months old. So long as it's in good condition I'd say it'll still be worth a fair bit.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'd be willing to bet that if you put it on eBay in great condition you could get $400 for it come this fall. There is always someone out there who "NEEDS IT NOW" and are willing to pay slightly less than buying it unlocked. That's why I got so much for my iPhone 4S well after the 5 was released.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Here's a question. What could the iPhone 5S possibly due that would be better than the GS4 that would make the S4 blush? I can't think of anything that the next iPhone that would put them on top of the SG4.

1080 res - no
NFC- no
large screen- no
widgets- no
expandable storage- no

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
just curious..thinking about trying out the gs4, if I am not happy with by the time ip5s comes out, will get rid of it. how well do u think the gs4 will hold its value by the time sept/october rolls around (assuming good condition)?

iPhone5 and iPhone5s - will be identical in the looks department, with a slightly faster CPU, GPU, a slight bump in megspixels for the camera and there ya go. The most innovative iPhone ever. Really, why bother with the 5S? If you don't like the S4, return it in 30 days and get the 5. You won't be missing anything if you don't get the 5s.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
iPhone5 and iPhone5s - will be identical in the looks department, with a slightly faster CPU, GPU, a slight bump in megspixels for the camera and there ya go. The most innovative iPhone ever. Really, why bother with the 5S? If you don't like the S4, return it in 30 days and get the 5. You won't be missing anything if you don't get the 5s.

Agreed, if you chasing specs don't bother with apple. Go android.

No sense to get the 5s at all especially if you have a 5 already.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Sell the gs4 for $450 in fall, and scoop up an iPhone 5 for may be a little less IMO.

Why? Because ios 7 will be there on iPhone 5 and hopefully it will get all the features (4s got all the ios 6 goodies). Hardware doesn't matter as much anymore. Even high end 3d mobile games cannot push the hardware considering they are perfectly playable even on the 4s.

Software counts more and in the case of the iPhone 5, you will be fine when it comes to software.

With gs4, you HAVE to get gs5 when it is out because Samsung will forget you or give you updates much later. Look at the gs3 stuck at 4.1 since December while gs4 owners enjoy 4.2.2.

Or buy nexus if that is your cup of tea.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
With gs4, you HAVE to get gs5 when it is out because Samsung will forget you or give you updates much later. Look at the gs3 stuck at 4.1 since December while gs4 owners enjoy 4.2.2.

How dare Samsung keep the S3 (released with ICS) on 4.1 which almost every newly released phone comes with including the HTC One. ;)

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Agreed, if you chasing specs don't bother with apple. Go android.

No sense to get the 5s at all especially if you have a 5 already.

Dont have a ip5. I have a two year old samsung droid charge (one of the first 4G phones) which is quite laggy and judging by the scattered reports of lag on s4, seems like samsung has invested more manpower in blitzy ad campaigns than optimizing software. Nonetheless, I'd like to try the s4 but I am also willing to try the iphone for the more 'fluid' experience.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
How dare Samsung keep the S3 (released with ICS) on 4.1 which almost every newly released phone comes with including the HTC One. ;)

That doesn't kill the fact that the gs3 is one version behind and without a solid update schedule already competed to the new phone that Samsung wants to sell, and that iPhone and nexus are the only two devices that are worth having if one is content with the hardware they have but would appreciate upto date software.

I can keep a nexus 4 or an iPhone 5 for 12 more months if I am very content with the hardware and still be happy because I know all the KLP and ios 7 goodies will be there respectively for me.

Can't say the same about the rest.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
That doesn't kill the fact that the gs3 is one version behind and without a solid update schedule already competed to the new phone that Samsung wants to sell, and that iPhone and nexus are the only two devices that are worth having if one is content with the hardware they have but would appreciate upto date software.

I can keep a nexus 4 or an iPhone 5 for 12 more months if I am very content with the hardware and still be happy because I know all the KLP and ios 7 goodies will be there respectively for me.

I really don't care much for updates the very minute it's released. Would it be nice if non nexus phones were synced to receive updates the very second it's available? Sure it would, but I never held my breath for any update just to tote a higher version number on my phone. And if for some off the wall reason I really need the latest update now, I can always head to XDA and load a rom or just root and load any specific feature.

At least Google or Samsung doesn't nitpick features away from previous/older phones that are obviously capable, like Apple does with iOS. What's the point in knowing your older iPhone can still update to the latest iOS when the main attraction features will be excluded?

Samsung as already stated the S3 will get 4.2 along with the non hardware related software features of the S4. Even if they didn't state that, I purchased the S3(released June) in August with ICS and now have JB. That's 10 months with a major upgrade. What is there to complain about? You really expect lifetime support?

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

I have an S3 and have been on 4.2.2 longer than the Nexus 4 has officially had it.

As Android users, we are not tied to the carriers. There is absolutely nothing restricting Android users of the S3 from getting 4.2.2.

Additionally, 99% of iPhone and Android users haven't a clue what an OS is, much less what version they are on. And they all seem to survive just fine not being on the latest and greatest OS. Quite frankly, I don't give a crap about what update manufacturers or carriers put out. I'm always on the latest and greatest within days of Google releasing it. This is such a non-factor and not sure why it is even brought up? I mean I had an iPhone 4 and got screwed by Apple when they refused to allow 4 owners from having Siri. The only reason Apple did that was to force owners to upgrade to the 4s.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I have an S3 and have been on 4.2.2 longer than the Nexus 4 has officially had it.

As Android users, we are not tied to the carriers. There is absolutely nothing restricting Android users of the S3 from getting 4.2.2.

Additionally, 99% of iPhone and Android users haven't a clue what an OS is, much less what version they are on. And they all seem to survive just fine not being on the latest and greatest OS. Quite frankly, I don't give a crap about what update manufacturers or carriers put out. I'm always on the latest and greatest within days of Google releasing it. This is such a non-factor and not sure why it is even brought up? I mean I had an iPhone 4 and got screwed by Apple when they refused to allow 4 owners from having Siri. The only reason Apple did that was to force owners to upgrade to the 4s.

Oh nice try to lie by assuming I might be a clueless iphone user who doesn't know anything about the rom scene. I am sorry but none of the ROMs in the original android development section of the s3 were updated to functional 4.2.2 before the nexus 4 even got it. This is the silliest thing I have ever heard. They took a good couple weeks before cm 10.1 was even good to use as a daily driver AFTER 4.2.2 was out for nexus devices.

And I ran an aosp rom on my s3 too. Except the instability and those bugs felt more like a trade off than a perfect solution.

That is the reason I bought a nexus 4 and found that 4.2.2 on it was worlds apart from 4.2.2 on the s3.

----------

I really don't care much for updates the very minute it's released. Would it be nice if non nexus phones were synced to receive updates the very second it's available? Sure it would, but I never held my breath for any update just to tote a higher version number on my phone. And if for some off the wall reason I really need the latest update now, I can always head to XDA and load a rom or just root and load any specific feature.

At least Google or Samsung doesn't nitpick features away from previous/older phones that are obviously capable, like Apple does with iOS. What's the point in knowing your older iPhone can still update to the latest iOS when the main attraction features will be excluded?

Samsung as already stated the S3 will get 4.2 along with the non hardware related software features of the S4. Even if they didn't state that, I purchased the S3(released June) in August with ICS and now have JB. That's 10 months with a major upgrade. What is there to complain about? You really expect lifetime support?

I will give one good example.

Project butter. Available on gnexus in summer 12. Available on gs3 in late November (December from our carrier).

The gnexus felt like a much faster phone and able to go toe to toe with gs3 and one x for 3-4 months. That alone is enough to start hating the OEM skinned crap out there.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I will give one good example.

Project butter. Available on gnexus in summer 12. Available on gs3 in late November (December from our carrier).

The gnexus felt like a much faster phone and able to go toe to toe with gs3 and one x for 3-4 months. That alone is enough to start hating the OEM skinned crap out there.

Sure updates usually make things faster, smoother, etc. But unless I had a problem with the S3, why would I care much to the point of being so impatient? Your making untimely updates seem like it should be a deal breaker for most when it's really not.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Oh nice try to lie by assuming I might be a clueless iphone user who doesn't know anything about the rom scene. I am sorry but none of the ROMs in the original android development section of the s3 were updated to functional 4.2.2 before the nexus 4 even got it. This is the silliest thing I have ever heard. They took a good couple weeks before cm 10.1 was even good to use as a daily driver AFTER 4.2.2 was out for nexus devices.

And I ran an aosp rom on my s3 too. Except the instability and those bugs felt more like a trade off than a perfect solution.

That is the reason I bought a nexus 4 and found that 4.2.2 on it was worlds apart from 4.2.2 on the s3.

I don't use AOSP ROMs, I use AOKP and custom kernels that I optimize. Ive been running 4.2.2 since mid to late Feb. And I didn't say 4.2.2 ran perfect out of the gate, but within 30 days it was pretty close. Thanks for calling me a liar. Here's a nice screen shot from goo.im showing Feb 23rd as the earliest release date for 4.2.2 on the ROM I have always used. Next time you might want to use facts instead of personal opinions.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
would just keep the money and wait until next month and see what you here from Apple. I see no point in getting a new phone now when Apple is about to come out with iphone 5s news. I wouldn't want to get stuck in a 2 year contract and regret it.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
3 points that will affect S4's price:
1)by that time samsung will be busy rolling out it's next flagship phone (note3) which means s4 price will decline.

2)S4's price will also be affected by "how much it sells". samsung is expecting that 100 million S4 will be sold by the end of the year, which means the current price point is great and they wont think of dropping the price much.

3) iphone 5S will only be a minor update over iphone 5, which means it wont affect s4's sales much.

so my guess is that by Sep/Oct GS4 16GB will be around $400-$500.

1) The Galaxy S line and the Galaxy Note line are not competitors. They are different product lines on different release schedules. One will not affect the other.

2) The S4 will sell well - Whether that means the price will change or not remains to be seen.

3) By this point I don't really think that the 5S will sway sales one way or another.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I think it really just depends on what the update brings. Many of the updates are already things that samsung have built into their phones. For example, I see 4.3, KLP, or whatever is released next having the "do no disturb feature." This is great for some people; However if you own a recent samsung device they did this with block mode.

On the other hand, project butter was really important and you needed the latest OS.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

Additionally, 99% of iPhone and Android users haven't a clue what an OS is, much less what version they are on. And they all seem to survive just fine not being on the latest and greatest OS.

Quite frankly, I don't give a crap about what update manufacturers or carriers put out. I'm always on the latest and greatest within days of Google releasing it. This is such a non-factor and not sure why it is even brought up?

I mean I had an iPhone 4 and got screwed by Apple when they refused to allow 4 owners from having Siri. The only reason Apple did that was to force owners to upgrade to the 4s.

You've brought up some excellent points that highlight the influence & control Apple has over its customers.

By controlling when the harware becomes obsolete it assures more profit which is just one reason Apple makes so much off each customer.

It also reveals the hypocrisy. One minute they're bragging "it just works" & it's not about specs, the next their bashing Android by claiming fragmentation.

Out in the real world of the average user... they're perfectly happy with either their Android phones or the iPhones. Most only use a fraction of a smartphones capabilities anyway. They don't know what an Operating System is, nor do they care.

Most are more concerned what it looks like & what kind of case they're going to choose. Just look at the massive accessory industry out there.

----------

1) The Galaxy S line and the Galaxy Note line are not competitors. They are different product lines on different release schedules. One will not affect the other.

By this point I don't really think that the 5S will sway sales one way or another.

Apple has made a decision to recycle the same "look & feel" that they've been selling for three, going on four release cycles now. Many buyers are looking for a fresh new experience.

It will be interesting to see if iPhone 5S ends up being in less demand that the rather boring iPhone 5 I have.

One things for sure, I'm not wasting my money for a 5S. I've already been down that road. Owning the 4, then 4S, and now 5, I'm very disappointed that Apple got lazy, greedy, and only cares about milking their customers.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
1) by the time Note 3 will be released s4 will be around 6-8 months old, by that time there will be new and better hardware available, which will affect the price of the old hardware. note 3's rumoured specs (http://www.sammobile.com/2013/05/01/rumor-galaxy-note-iii-to-have-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu/) this link tells that samsung is already busy building better hardware as well as a better software, dont you think new and better devices make the older devices decrease their price?

2)GS4 is selling really well, they are having shortages due to demand "Samsung says GS4 supply shortages due to 'overwhelming demand (http://www.examiner.com/article/samsung-says-gs4-supply-shortages-due-to-overwhelming-demand)(http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s4-demand-galaxy-s3-sales-197892/)(http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s4/19941/samsung-galaxy-demand-so-high-its-memory-division-cant-keep)" s4 is already 1-2 months old, if it would not be selling well they would have already decreased the price.

3)iphone5 wasn't even the phone of the year (http://www.cnet.com/8301-33506_1-57557848-306/galaxy-s3-beats-iphone-5-for-best-device-of-2012/), how can you expect much from iphone5S, many people dont think iphone5S would have significant changes (http://matttalkstech.com/2013/03/26/dont-expect-big-changes-from-the-iphone-5s/) when it wont have all the latest features how would it affect the sales of GS4.

1) Oh, I agree the Note 3 will have better hardware, but again I don't really see them as competitors. As far as I recall, the S3 didn't drop when the Note 2 came around.

2) Good point.

3) I don't expect much from the 5S :p I expect almost the exact same phone with the exception of iOS7 and slightly bumped hardware.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I don't use AOSP ROMs, I use AOKP and custom kernels that I optimize. Ive been running 4.2.2 since mid to late Feb. And I didn't say 4.2.2 ran perfect out of the gate, but within 30 days it was pretty close. Thanks for calling me a liar. Here's a nice screen shot from goo.im showing Feb 23rd as the earliest release date for 4.2.2 on the ROM I have always used. Next time you might want to use facts instead of personal opinions.
Most iPhone users that attack those of us that are both Apple & Android enthusiasts have little if any knowledge about Android.

They're comments reveal that many have no understanding of Android, other than its a competitor that's pushing Apple hard as Android becomes more dominating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.