Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byrdieep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2013
I would like to find a way for my 82 yo mother to print to an airprint printer (Canon) from her 3G Ipad. I installed a wifi network that is NOT connected to internet (IPAD has 3g). I AM ABLE to print when the network I created is joined. BUT when the network is selected I dont have internet connection,. I assume the ipad is trying to get internet through the wifi (which is not connected to the internet), and is not using the 3g. I COULD turn the wifi off on the ipad except when I want to print, but that is too convoluted for my mom.
Is there anyway I can make the ipad use the 3g when connected to the internetless wireless network so she would be able to both surf AND print?
Thanks, Byrdie

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I would like to find a way for my 82 yo mother to print to an airprint printer (Canon) from her 3G Ipad. I installed a wifi network that is NOT connected to internet (IPAD has 3g). I AM ABLE to print when the network I created is joined. BUT when the network is selected I dont have internet connection,. I assume the ipad is trying to get internet through the wifi (which is not connected to the internet), and is not using the 3g. I COULD turn the wifi off on the ipad except when I want to print, but that is too convoluted for my mom.
Is there anyway I can make the ipad use the 3g when connected to the internetless wireless network so she would be able to both surf AND print?
Thanks, Byrdie

Unfortunately, no. I'd see if you can get her a cheap home internet plan with something like CLEAR 4g or Ting mobile, 4g providers that offer very cheap service. (BTW If you want a $25 rebate with ting, I can hook you up!)

byrdieep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Ting?

I looked at Ting... looks like another service for the IPAD (granted... a cheaper service). How would this help me with the problem I'm having? She currently has internet through Sprint on the IPAD. Sorry if this appears dense, I'm probably not seeing something.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.