PDA

View Full Version : Different RAM?

PowerMike G5
Oct 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hey,

With my Quad on the way, I want to make sure I have more RAM on hand when it comes it. I was going to purchase it from crucial.com, but the RAM kind for the G5 is sold out. The one that comes with the Quad is this:

DDR2 PC2-4200 CL=4 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR2-533 1.8V 128Meg x 64

They list all other kinds of their RAM that is compatible with the Quad including this one:

DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR2-667 1.8V 128Meg x 64

If I was to buy this one, would it mix with the other stock RAM the G5 comes with. Should I assume that the Quad will just run this RAM at a lower speed to match its stock RAM? Thanks.

Mhaddy
Oct 28, 2005, 01:10 PM
If the 5300 is going to run it at a lower speed anyways, why not get the 4200 where you know its compatible?

CanadaRAM
Oct 28, 2005, 01:25 PM
The DDR-2 G5's are specced for PC-4200 533 MHz RAM. There is no indication so far (or historically, ever) that the Mac motherboard will 'overclock' itself to take advantage of faster RAM.

However, the increase of the CAS Latency from 4 to 5 may well be significant -- although traditionally Apple has not exploited lower latency RAM, increasing the latency would almost certainly slow the machine down. One assumes that the 667 MHz module at CAS Latency 5 would be able to run CL 4 at the slower 533 mHz speed, but that is not a given.

All this is to say --- stick with the specification and don't pay more for 'faster' RAM.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

PowerMike G5
Oct 28, 2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. The only reason I am considering this RAM is the other is sold out on crucial.com, but crucial is stating that the faster RAM will work in the G5. I just want to have more RAM to put in the machine once it arrives.

Anyone suggest any other brand? I have always bought from crucial and they have been great!

CanadaRAM
Oct 28, 2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys. The only reason I am considering this RAM is the other is sold out on crucial.com, but crucial is stating that the faster RAM will work in the G5. I just want to have more RAM to put in the machine once it arrives.

Anyone suggest any other brand? I have always bought from crucial and they have been great!
If you are in the USA, go with Data Memory Systems (http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1179). If you are in Canada, umm.. gee I dunno ;)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

PowerMike G5
Oct 28, 2005, 01:51 PM
If you are in the USA, go with Data Memory Systems (http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1179). If you are in Canada, umm.. gee I dunno ;)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Thanks alot! I've never heard of them but I've checked online for reviews, and they all seem to be highly positive. Anyone else have experience with this company?

mr_matalino
Oct 28, 2005, 03:04 PM
Viking Components is a good brand as well. I've purchased RAM from them before and it works great...

dmachine
Oct 28, 2005, 03:24 PM
I would check out newegg.com too. I have gotten RAM there for my past two PB's and I am very satisfied with them. I got Viking RAM from them for my current PB and it was a lot cheaper than getting it from crucial or anywhere else.