PDA

View Full Version : New powerbook battery problems...

NewMacConvertee
Oct 28, 2005, 01:34 PM
I just received my new 15" powerbook yesterday and calibrated the battery according to the owners manual. When i turned it on today, for the first time after the calibration, i only had about 2:45 of batter time remaining?!? Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

g0gie
Oct 28, 2005, 02:54 PM
It's probably fine. The 5.5 hours quoted on the apple website is not guaranteed as it is "up to 5.5 hours" . You can probably get your 2:45 time up tho by turning off a lot of things that you dont need or turning down settings (such as screen brightness). 2 other common things people turn off are blluetooth and airport. Also the 2.45 hours you are quoted is an estimate made by the operating system. The powerbook manual also states to charge your battery to the max and to keep charging it for an addition 5 hours
then which at that thim you run your battery to sleep mode. then you charge once more, for more accurate calibration as well as battery conditioning.

vitus
Oct 29, 2005, 03:53 AM
hi,

ive just received my new pb too, but after calibrating the batterie (or at least charging it fully and letting it run out), it only shows 97% finished when fully loaded and the power cord is glowing green.

the systemprofiler states that my battier has a capacity of 4375mah (could it be better ??) - and it also states a remaining capacity of 4250 ( the 97%) - but my battery is fully loaded (at least i cannot charge it anymore) !!!

what should i do ?
is my battery capacity ok ?

tia. vitus

thomasp
Oct 29, 2005, 04:09 AM
Certainly on the previous generation of powerbooks (my one), if you unplugged the charger when the charge was 95% or more, and then plugged it back in while the charge was still 95% or more, it didn't charge the battery up (and the plug stayed green) until the charge dropped below 95%.

I'm not sure what it's like on the new PB's though

carpe diem
Oct 29, 2005, 04:20 AM
YOu will get around 3 hours from it

vitus
Oct 29, 2005, 04:22 AM
Certainly on the previous generation of powerbooks (my one), if you unplugged the charger when the charge was 95% or more, and then plugged it back in while the charge was still 95% or more, it didn't charge the battery up (and the plug stayed green) until the charge dropped below 95%.

I'm not sure what it's like on the new PB's though

ive completely uncharged my bat and recharged it again - it still stays with the 97% and even the system profiler says that my battery has only 97% but still says "fully charged"