Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasperNL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

Probably a silly question, but I see that the Apple icon in the menu bar looks different from time to time.

Apple1.png

and
Apple2.png

99% of the time it looks like the 2nd icon, the darker one.

Does anyone know why this changes?

It has nothing to do with the background, it's the same.

Using Mac OSx 10.8.3 on iMac 27" late 2012.

Thanks,
Jasper

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
Hi everyone,

Probably a silly question, but I see that the Apple icon in the menu bar looks different from time to time.

and

99% of the time it looks like the 2nd icon, the darker one.

Does anyone know why this changes?

It has nothing to do with the background, it's the same.

Using Mac OSx 10.8.3 on iMac 27" late 2012.

Thanks,
Jasper

Is it just the color change of the logo or is it the whole screen? If it is the whole screen, do you have SSD in this iMac? Do you have password to enter during start up? If you have SSD, automatical log in and automatical graphic switch enabled, the display changes color when it switches to the discrete graphic card. I remember reading somewhere saying this is due to the fast speed and not enough time to load color profile file during start up. I am not sure whether the explanation is correct but I do experience this. If I have a log in password, then the color change does not show up.

JasperNL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Is it just the color change of the logo or is it the whole screen? If it is the whole screen, do you have SSD in this iMac? Do you have password to enter during start up? If you have SSD, automatical log in and automatical graphic switch enabled, the display changes color when it switches to the discrete graphic card. I remember reading somewhere saying this is due to the fast speed and not enough time to load color profile file during start up. I am not sure whether the explanation is correct but I do experience this. If I have a log in password, then the color change does not show up.

No it's not the whole screen, just that icon. At the moment of writing, it has that light grey color. For one reason it seems that this only happens in the mornings.

Here's a screencapture:
http://youtu.be/ZyoiiA1hqhc

Edit: now, couple of minutes later, the icon is darker again.

Last edited:

davmanypsp

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Mine too

Mine too. This is the normal state:

vr9.png
[/IMG]

And this is what it looks after a while, sometimes a couple hours:

gsk.png
[/IMG]

Mine is a Mac Pro, with just 1 graphic card (so is not related to the canhe from primary to secondary card), and i never have installed any modding software.

Maybe is related to temperature, cpu load, available ram or disk usage?

I'm pretty sure this IS NOT A BUG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.