PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 2010 OSX from 10.6.4 to 10.8.3 Question

speedonthemic
May 8, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hi. Not very bright at this stuff so apologies in advance.

I have a Macbook Air 2009 OSX 10.6.4 that I upgraded to 10.8.3 by downloading the App. I'm now selling it and have deleted everything via a reboot but have reinstalled the new OSX, not reset to the original (partly because I don't know how!). So my question is, how will this affect the new owner? It starts up as it did when I bought it new but they won't be able to reinstall the software without purchasing it themselves, so does this mean there's a legal issue?

Any help/advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Dawn

justperry
May 8, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hi. Not very bright at this stuff so apologies in advance.

I have a Macbook Air 2009 OSX 10.6.4 that I upgraded to 10.8.3 by downloading the App. I'm now selling it and have deleted everything via a reboot but have reinstalled the new OSX, not reset to the original (partly because I don't know how!). So my question is, how will this affect the new owner? It starts up as it did when I bought it new but they won't be able to reinstall the software without purchasing it themselves, so does this mean there's a legal issue?

Any help/advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Dawn

10.8 Mountain Lion creates a recovery HD partition, the new owner can startup from it and reinstall the OS if needed, you can easily test if you have this Recovery partition by holding Command-R at startup, hold it until you see the grey screen with the Apple Icon, then release, if you get the Utilities Window you have Recovery so the new User won't have to purchase ML as long as they don't wipe the Recovery partition or a new SSD.

speedonthemic
May 8, 2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Yes, disc utility is there so that should mean the new owner will have no trouble when they login to their iTunes and download software for the new OSX?

Would this also be the case for my 2009 iMac that I've recently upgraded from 10.6.1?

Thanks again.