PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Really considering switching from iOS to android.

gc15
May 8, 2013, 10:20 AM
I don't know why, but ever since the GS4 was announced; I have constantly had my eye on it. It just looks like an awesome phone; however, I love my apple ecosystem with everything that makes it work. I'm currently due for an upgrade, I want to wait to see what apple does with the next iPhone, but right now I kinda just want something new and I don't want to wait til September, so I'm considering getting either the iPhone 5 now or to just go ahead and get the GS4. My only problem with the GS4 is no iMessage, I seriously have became to love this feature and all my current apps will not work with it. I'm just wondering has anyone else been wanting to try something different and making the jump to android? If you did, did you want to come back to iOS?

CEmajr
May 8, 2013, 10:34 AM
HTC One my friend.

Chodite
May 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
Almost a week now on my new S4. Never owned an Android product in my life and I own a crapload of Apple products, including every iPhone made since the iPhone 3G. So far I'm loving it. Got the phone tailored to where I'm very comfortable with it and am enjoying the openness of the OS, allowing me to tweak and edit just about anything I want.

Sure, iMessage is great. But I've got unlimited texting with AT&T so all I'm really missing is the "real-time" chat and the blue chat bubbles. So far, the camera, screen, fun with the OS, etc. have more than made up for it.

troutspinner
May 8, 2013, 11:08 AM
I had a 4s and was due an upgrade as well. I figured I would just wait for the 5s (or whatever they are going to call it) and do the upgrade then. But with all the hype and after watching Samsung's keynote, I figured I would give it a look.

Last week while at my dentist, the AT&T store was right next door so I figured I would stop and look. I have to admit, I instantly fell in love with the screen of the S4. I am getting older (42) and my eyes really enjoyed the larger screen compared to my 4s (I tried the 5 as well, longer wasn't better for me). After playing with the phone a bit as well as playing with the HTC One, I was convinced, I was going to switch but unsure of which one.

After some research and reading many reviews and comparing specs, the S4 was the one for me so I went back to the store and got the 16mb version (32 comes out on the 10th). But with an sd slot, I can store as much music and photos to my hearts content and I saved a little bit of cash as compared to what an iPhone would have cost when it was released.

For the record, I have been an iPhone user since the day the first one was released. I have a MacBook and an iPad and I knew I would be losing some sync features as well as iMessage and was worried the switch would be painful but it was not at all. Mostly because I've always used google for calendars, managed my own contacts, photos and music and never got too deep into storing things into the apple cloud. With that said, YMMV but you have to give google credit, they handle cloud stuff pretty nicely.

As for the device, this phone rocks! It is fast, iPhone fast is the best way to compare it. You don't wait for anything, it just works, like the iPhone. That tells me that both Samsung and Google have their acts together finally (I've tried android before a few years ago) and these devices are "iPhone" refined. The screen is once again, iPhone refined but the camera is way better than the iPhone which is very important to me.

In hand, I still like the feel of the iPhone better but IMO the screen size makes the device much more useful. So useful that this is the first time I am on my iPad since I bought the S4 last week and truthfully, it's only because the phone is charging right now. Whereas with the iPhone, the iPad was mandatory when you wanted to do something involved other than a quick email, FB, Twitter or text message.

Feature for feature, I've found nothing that the S4 can't do that the iPhone does but I can tell you the S4 does MANY things the iPhone can't do. I won't give examples, just go see for yourself, I don't want to play the "but you can get this app or that app" game. It also feels a little more free. Whenever you want to change something to be just to your liking, there is an option for it whereas you were confined to what apple let you do. All of the options are a little intimidating when you first get the phone but after a week, you will come to know and enjoy them.

In closing, it's a keeper and I do not miss my iPhone at all. I thank apple for creating the real smartphone market and am happy that the rest of the market is now fully involved.

troutspinner

ValerieDurden
May 8, 2013, 01:35 PM
I went from my iPhone 5 to an S3 last week, this week I am back on my iPhone 5. Yes it was that quick, the iPhone is just superior.

cynics
May 8, 2013, 01:42 PM
I went from my iPhone 5 to an S3 last week, this week I am back on my iPhone 5. Yes it was that quick, the iPhone is just superior.

For you and your uses.

That statement could go either way depending on what you are doing with the phone.

ValerieDurden
May 8, 2013, 01:52 PM
For you and your uses.

That statement could go either way depending on what you are doing with the phone.
Yeah that's true but for me it's the hardware that is the problem I don't mind Android.

chagla
May 8, 2013, 01:58 PM

Sure, iMessage is great. But I've got unlimited texting with AT&T so all I'm really missing is the "real-time" chat and the blue chat bubbles. So far, the camera, screen, fun with the OS, etc. have more than made up for it.

Goto the stock messenger app, right click and settings. from there u can choose the bubble style and colors.

of course there are tons of 3rd party sms apps too.

tjl3
May 8, 2013, 02:05 PM

Not really sure what the OP meant by 'his current apps will not work with it' but the beauty of iMessage is not texting between two phones. It's the integration between Apple devices on a system level. Like GChat or Talk.

Tikatika
May 8, 2013, 02:08 PM
Went from the 4S to the S4. No words to say how much I love this phone. I agree with everything Troutspinner had to say! So many fun things to do that just can't be done on the iPhone. Phone call quality is exceptional.

I have the 16gb and a 32gb microSD card installed. Works well for my needs.

Highly highly recommend this phone :)

lbros360
May 8, 2013, 02:44 PM
Left 4s and got a note 2. Month later, came running back to at&t store because I could not stand the note and bought an iphone 5 like I should have in the first place. Apple knows they need to so something different in ios 7 or else many people will be switching. If I were you, I would wait for the next iphone or get the iphone 5. And yes, I did miss imessage and the quality of the apps.

JaySoul
May 8, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've an iPhone 5 and I just want 2 things:

1) Bigger screen

2) iOS 7 to substantially improve.

I tried the HTC One and LOVED it but not enough just yet to deal with a couple of differences.

Maybe the end of year Android phones will lure me back.

cynics
May 8, 2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah that's true but for me it's the hardware that is the problem I don't mind Android.

Really? What didn't you like about it? I don't have a problem with Apple hardware (I'm an iPhone user) but I kind of have an issue with the price of the hardware you do get.

When the S3 came out the 4S was the best iPhone. But the S3 had a larger screen, LTE, NFC, bigger battery (regardless of how long it last), SD slot, barometer, etc at the same or lower price point.

Being that my Apple ecosystem only includes an iPhone and iPad (soon a Mac Mini) its hard to justify Apples hardware in my opinion. Then of course their extremely high profit margin says a lot. I think I'll appreciate it more once I get a Mac.

ValerieDurden
May 8, 2013, 04:18 PM
Really? What didn't you like about it? I don't have a problem with Apple hardware (I'm an iPhone user) but I kind of have an issue with the price of the hardware you do get.

When the S3 came out the 4S was the best iPhone. But the S3 had a larger screen, LTE, NFC, bigger battery (regardless of how long it last), SD slot, barometer, etc at the same or lower price point.

Being that my Apple ecosystem only includes an iPhone and iPad (soon a Mac Mini) its hard to justify Apples hardware in my opinion. Then of course their extremely high profit margin says a lot. I think I'll appreciate it more once I get a Mac.
The user experience is not as smooth, things are choppy like scrolling for example. Things are generally a lot faster on the 5 such as opening apps, editing, gaming etc.

cynics
May 8, 2013, 04:37 PM
The user experience is not as smooth, things are choppy like scrolling for example. Things are generally a lot faster on the 5 such as opening apps, editing, gaming etc.

I would consider that software though not hardware.

While I have experienced what you mentioned (however never in games) it only when the device gets older. For example my Xoom is noticeably slower and stutters compared to my Nexus 10 (now sold). It's identical to the experience of my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 which are or at least can be very laggy. Here are a couple examples I've taken screen shots of.

Password entered and then I wait.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/4ymyjary.jpg

Scrolling to the player and it stops here, and I wait

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/zynehyqu.jpg

Spotlight search and the keyboard didn't pop up, took 5+ seconds

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/eqybu4e9.jpg

Point being it seems that when its the latest phone running on the latest OS its fine. But iOS devices aren't immune to lagging, stuttering, etc. Once again Facebook sucks on iOS for me. Not as bad as it used to be but it got better then much worse again. Point being it has a lot to do with the apps not the OS.

ValerieDurden
May 8, 2013, 06:02 PM

While I have experienced what you mentioned (however never in games) it only when the device gets older. For example my Xoom is noticeably slower and stutters compared to my Nexus 10 (now sold). It's identical to the experience of my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 which are or at least can be very laggy. Here are a couple examples I've taken screen shots of.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/4ymyjary.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/zynehyqu.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/eqybu4e9.jpg)

Point being it seems that when its the latest phone running on the latest OS its fine. But iOS devices aren't immune to lagging, stuttering, etc. Once again Facebook sucks on iOS for me. Not as bad as it used to be but it got better then much worse again. Point being it has a lot to do with the apps not the OS.
That lag with opening Spotlight has always been there on every single iPhone, but it's not an issue on the iPhone 5 for some reason I have literally never seen the 5 slow down and lag with anything, I base that purely on hardware for the most part as iOS 6 and all the previous versions has always lagged on the 4s/4 etc, but for the 5 it doesn't.

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 06:14 PM
The grass is not always greener on the other side.

More often it's just slightly different grass.

There is no definitive 'better' as there are so many variables, and time with both android & ios will actually give you an appreciation of both.

For every 'good' thing there is a balanced 'bad' thing / compromise with either OS.

After using android for a while I am pretty confident you will find parts of iOS that you took for granted but now wish were the same in the android world (such as the rollout of software updates), and likewise there will be things on android you wish iOS would incorporate too.

If you feel like a change, go for it. If iMessage is the only hindrance - consider whatsapp.

If it turns out android isn't for you - sell the device or return it and buy and iphone 5S when they finally arrive.

Chodite
May 8, 2013, 06:20 PM

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/4ymyjary.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/zynehyqu.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/eqybu4e9.jpg)

In your text convo screenshot - is that Sean Bolan's... by chance? :cool:

AppleAlfred
May 8, 2013, 08:05 PM
I see lots of good replies, and as many have pointed out it really is a matter of personal preference and uses. That being said, I would absolutely recommend that if it's within your means, you should try Android. It will be new, fun, and give you an idea of what everyone is talking about.

Personally, I've owned every iPhone since 3GS, and I've owned the Droid Razr, GS2, S3, Note, Note 2, and One X, and I have the S4 on the way, so I consider myself fairly experienced as far as iOS and Android go. I can honestly say that what it comes down to for me, is widgets, lock screen shortcuts, and a bigger screen. These things on Android make my own experience much nicer, and are the reason I have repeatedly switched back to android. I'm also a fan of having the most powerful processors, even though I know it doesn't necessarily make an Android faster than an iOS device.

All that being said, I do absolutely miss iMessage. I loved being able to use my Macbook and iPad to text most of my friends and coworkers, which of course now I can't do. There is also something to be said for how nice the small screen fits in one hand when you need it to, although that's rare enough that I still prefer the additional real estate vs. easier handling.

Just my two cents, again... I would definitely recommend you give android a shot, even if it's an older one!

durant35
May 9, 2013, 12:34 PM

This is because of Samsung's TouchWiz UI laying on top of Android. If iOS had a custom UI laying over top of it, you would experience the same thing. You can either go into settings and change the transition speed and/or animation, or you can try a pure Android device like a Nexus with no skin over Android.

To the OP. Not sure why you have to "make the jump". I have a Note 2 and I use iMessage all the time on my iPad mini and iPod Touch. You dont need an iPhone to enjoy iOS.