PDA

View Full Version : Apple Targets Android Source Code Search Documents in Suit Against Samsung

MacRumors
May 8, 2013, 10:22 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/08/apple-targets-android-source-code-search-documents-in-suit-against-samsung/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/android.jpgAs the ongoing court battles between Apple and Samsung continue, Bloomberg reports (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-07/apple-seeks-android-source-code-records-in-samsung-suit.html) that Apple has become more aggressive in pushing for Google to turn over Android-related documents that may be pertinent to the case. Apple argues that Google's refusal to reveal the search terms it is using to find documents requested by Apple as part of the pretrial discovery phase of the latest lawsuit between Apple and Samsung suggests that Google may not be finding certain relevant documents.Apple, as part of its second patent-infringement lawsuit against Samsung in the same court, argues that Android is used in all of Samsung's allegedly infringing products and "provides much of the accused functionality" in Apple's claims, according to a court filing.

"It's a question of transparency," Mark Lyon, a lawyer for Apple, told Grewal yesterday, referring to the documents. "We have concerns that they're not doing a full search."Google lawyer Matthew Warren has argued that Apple is seeking an unfair advantage, keeping Google out of the formal case in order to prevent reciprocal discovery efforts while still prying into Google's internal documents through third-party discovery. According to Warren:Turning over the search terms Apple wants may lead to "future discovery that we don't think they're entitled to" and give Apple "ideas about how to proceed that they wouldn't have had."The case at hand relates to some of Apple's and Samsung's latest handsets, including the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. It is a followup to a previous case that saw a jury award Apple $1 billion (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/24/jury-reaches-verdict-in-apple-vs-samsung-trial/), although the judge in the case has voided nearly half of that judgment due to jury errors and a new trial (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/30/new-damages-trial-in-apple-v-samsung-set-for-november/) to determine corrected damages is set for November.

Article Link: Apple Targets Android Source Code Search Documents in Suit Against Samsung (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/08/apple-targets-android-source-code-search-documents-in-suit-against-samsung/)

vmachiel
May 8, 2013, 10:23 AM
When will this end?

shaunp
May 8, 2013, 10:24 AM
Apple, I'd be more impressed if you created some new products. Ones people actually want like a new Mac Pro!!

genovelle
May 8, 2013, 10:32 AM
They clearly make products people want or Sammy wouldn't find the need to copy then fight for the right to do so. Apple is rightly holding their cards long enough to prove they will fight and to limit the anount of time Sammy and others have to react before the holidays.

M-O
May 8, 2013, 10:39 AM
When will this end?

When Google switches it's Nexus line to Chrome OS.

madsci954
May 8, 2013, 10:47 AM
Every time I see an article about the tech company lawsuits, all I picture anymore is a massive free for all pie fight between them. :D

Oletros
May 8, 2013, 10:51 AM
I think that Bloomberg has made a mess with this report and Apple is not asking for Android source code.

Apple filled a motion at the end of April asking Google what term was using for searching some discovery evidence.

guzhogi
May 8, 2013, 11:05 AM
[sarcasm] Why not use the all the money used for lawyer & court costs & instead use it to invest in R&D for new products? We've heard how the iOS team pulled developers from the Mac OS X team. Why not hire more developers?

Also, why not spend more money on the Mac Pro and other products to make them more competitive with the $500 DIY computers? There are a lot of spec wh*res (by that I mean people who only care about specs) in the world. If the Mac Pro had leading edge graphics, CPUs & other things, a lot more people would seriously look at the Mac Pro. I don't want it to end up like the xServe.

ALange
May 8, 2013, 11:19 AM
android is open source. they can simply get code from repository.

needfx
May 8, 2013, 12:12 PM
Google should buy Singapo... wait what?

onirocdarb
May 8, 2013, 12:17 PM
These lawsuits will never end unless Apple buys samsung.

needfx
May 8, 2013, 12:19 PM

at that scale I hardly believe it would ever be called a buy-out.
maybe a merger

just saying

Oletros
May 8, 2013, 12:28 PM

Or Samsung buys Apple

Laird Knox
May 8, 2013, 12:35 PM
When will this end?

When the world no longer revolves around money.

Mr.damien
May 8, 2013, 12:36 PM
Apple, I'd be more impressed if you created some new products. Ones people actually want like a new Mac Pro!!

Bla bla bla. Just as the lawyer team of Apple were working on new products...

BornAgainMac
May 8, 2013, 12:59 PM

Samsung should make the Mac Pro.

jonAppleSeed
May 8, 2013, 01:05 PM
If a search/ad company can't find something, maybe it doesn't exist?

LOL

samcraig
May 8, 2013, 01:17 PM
Perhaps Apple thinks that Google's search works like Apple Maps and wants to double down on accuracy :eek:

rmwebs
May 8, 2013, 01:22 PM

Which would likely never be allowed, nor ever be an option for either companies shareholders.

Oletros
May 8, 2013, 01:28 PM
Which would likely never be allowed, nor ever be an option for either companies shareholders.

And none of both has the money to buy the other

blackcrayon
May 8, 2013, 02:42 PM

And Apple would be more impressed if Samsung did... I think that's the point of these, no?

shaunp
May 8, 2013, 03:01 PM

If it ran OS X I'd buy it

----------

Bla bla bla. Just as the lawyer team of Apple were working on new products...

And you so miss the point ...

OrangeSVTguy
May 8, 2013, 06:29 PM

I think it's best to leave Samsung as a competitor. :) Competition is good.

ijohn.8.80
May 8, 2013, 06:45 PM
Every time I see an article about the tech company lawsuits, all I picture anymore is a massive free for all pie fight between them. :D

http://www.standard.co.uk/competitions/article7213239.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/Bugsy+Malone

----------

I sure hope it's also a foot-bath and popcorn machine too... :cool:

iGrip
May 8, 2013, 06:49 PM
[sarcasm] Why not use the all the money used for lawyer & court costs & instead use it to invest in R&D for new products? We've heard how the iOS team pulled developers from the Mac OS X team. Why not hire more developers?

Apple has more money than they know what to do with. The invest some into products, and they invest other money into litigation. Both are intended to turn a profit.

----------

There's not enough money in that platform for a company like Samsung to even bother with it.

batchtaster
May 8, 2013, 08:21 PM
I find it ironic that Google doesn't want their search terms revealed, when they record and use all of mine.

samcraig
May 8, 2013, 09:01 PM
I find it ironic that Google doesn't want their search terms revealed, when they record and use all of mine.

ha. Although (in all seriousness even if you weren't being) the difference is yours is anonymized. Your searches also don't affect Google's bottom line in the same way as their search terms.

I understand both sides though and why they want what they want (and don't want what they don't want)

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Tknull
May 8, 2013, 11:20 PM
android is open source. they can simply get code from repository.

As an earlier commenter said... the article has a very poorly worded heading. It is a discovery request relating to search terms used to retrieve internal documents pertaining to the case... nothing to do with the OS source code.

batchtaster
May 8, 2013, 11:40 PM
the difference is yours is anonymized. Your searches also don't affect Google's bottom line in the same way as their search terms.

They're not anonymized if I'm logged into Google (https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/54068?hl=en&ref_topic=3037039). And my search terms certainly don't do them any harm (http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html).

BvizioN
May 9, 2013, 05:29 AM

What's the big deal with this Mac Pro thing that keep hearing a lot lately? Is this some snapier safari kind of joke? It has to be!

Imhotep397
May 9, 2013, 10:30 AM
You know...all of this would have been resolved years ago if Apple had given in to Google's desire to merge the companies. Apple should start finding the hire ups and largest Google investors that feel like and Apple/Google merger would work for both groups and move forward from there. Yes, of course that would most certainly mean the end of Android. With Apple growing closer to Yahoo and Marissa Mayer they may have the one ally that could help broach the deal even in today's hostile tech environment.

Oletros
May 9, 2013, 10:56 AM
You know...all of this would have been resolved years ago if Apple had given in to Google's desire to merge the companies. Apple should start finding the hire ups and largest Google investors that feel like and Apple/Google merger would work for both groups and move forward from there. Yes, of course that would most certainly mean the end of Android. With Apple growing closer to Yahoo and Marissa Mayer they may have the one ally that could help broach the deal even in today's hostile tech environment.

Apple Google merger? No way

By the way, when had Google any desire to merge with Apple?

winston1236
May 9, 2013, 03:22 PM

Except apple cant afford too. Samsung builds products from ships to phones and it pays well.

Taz Mangus
May 9, 2013, 05:47 PM
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/09/judge-orders-google-to-hand-over-search-documents-in-samsung-patent-case

"The court cannot help but note the irony that Google, a pioneer in searching the Internet, is arguing that it would be unduly burdened by producing a list of how it searched its own files"

LOL!

pirg
May 10, 2013, 06:49 AM
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/09/judge-orders-google-to-hand-over-search-documents-in-samsung-patent-case

"The court cannot help but note the irony that Google, a pioneer in searching the Internet, is arguing that it would be unduly burdened by producing a list of how it searched its own files"

LOL!

Yeah that was a funny quote from the ruling

Imhotep397
May 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
Apple Google merger? No way

By the way, when had Google any desire to merge with Apple?

The negotiations and the rumors surrounding the started about a year before the iPhone was released maybe before that. They should just move forward with this now.

http://www.dbms2.com/2007/04/01/oracle-google-apple-merger-possibilities/

Oletros
May 15, 2013, 12:01 AM
The negotiations and the rumors surrounding the started about a year before the iPhone was released maybe before that. They should just move forward with this now.

http://www.dbms2.com/2007/04/01/oracle-google-apple-merger-possibilities/

"UPDATE: some people didnít get that this entire post was an April Fools joke. Sorry for being too realistic."

Try again

subsonix
May 15, 2013, 12:50 AM
I don't see why they would not give up the search term they used. Google's argument is odd Android is open source, so no secrets is to be found.

Oletros
May 15, 2013, 01:05 AM
I don't see why they would not give up the search term they used. Google's argument is odd Android is open source, so no secrets is to be found.

It has nothing to do with Android source code

subsonix
May 15, 2013, 01:17 AM
It has nothing to do with Android source code

It makes no difference in this case, the information is supposedly openly available no? Or the search terms would be useless.

Oletros
May 15, 2013, 01:24 AM
It makes no difference in this case, the information is supposedly openly available no? Or the search terms would be useless.

The information asked by Apple is nit open documentation, it is emails, internal reports, etc.

subsonix
May 15, 2013, 01:29 AM
The information asked by Apple is nit open documentation, it is emails, internal reports, etc.

It's openly available to Apple as part of the pretrial information sharing, the issue here is that Google may be withholding information by selectively cherry pick what documentation is given. Of course, Google could prove that it isn't by exposing the search terms.

Oletros
May 15, 2013, 01:47 AM
It's openly available to Apple as part of the pretrial information sharing, the issue here is that Google may be withholding information by selectively cherry pick what documentation is given. Of course, Google could prove that it isn't by exposing the search terms.

Can you tell me in what trial is Google a part?

subsonix
May 15, 2013, 01:55 AM
Can you tell me in what trial is Google a part?

Eh, the whole article evolves around Google's involvement.

Apple told U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal in San Jose, California, that Google is improperly withholding information about what terms it’s using to find the documents Apple has requested in pretrial information sharing.

Oletros
May 15, 2013, 02:02 AM
Eh, the whole article evolves around Google's involvement.

Look, you first said that Android source is open, next that the information is open and now that Google is involved.

Please, stop talking about you don't know.

The information is not open, it has nothing to do with Android source code and Google is not a ducking part in the trial, because of that they didn't want to give the information.

Got it?

subsonix
May 15, 2013, 02:19 AM
Look, you first said that Android source is open, next that the information is open and now that Google is involved.

Please, stop talking about you don't know.

The information is not open, it has nothing to do with Android source code and Google is not a ducking part in the trial, because of that they didn't want to give the information.

Got it?

Are you telling me that Google hasn't given up any information as part of the information sharing? And that this is not only related to what search terms they used when sharing that information, even though that is the entire premise of the article?

Imhotep397
May 28, 2013, 10:11 AM
"UPDATE: some people didnít get that this entire post was an April Fools joke. Sorry for being too realistic."

Try again

Sorry cauliflower fingers, this was actually reported in several tech journals around the same time period.

Oletros
May 28, 2013, 10:18 AM
Sorry cauliflower fingers, this was actually reported in several tech journals around the same time period.

Really? Can you post any single source that is not an April's fool?

Imhotep397
May 28, 2013, 12:36 PM
Really? Can you post any single source that is not an April's fool?

This was the first time the whale almost surfaced:
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1983953/oracle-apple-announce-merger

Now that I remember it was well before the iPhone was released and the rumors reached a fever pitch online after a Google representative intimated (at a WWDC, talking about improvements in Maps, I think) that it would be a great thing if Apple and Google just merged, he even suggested the cheesy name "Goo-apple" or something like that. It wouldn't shock me if more than a few people remember this.

Considering it was probably somewhere between 1999-2006 I think most of the web journals that would have carried the story are probably long since gone.

Oletros
May 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
This was the first time the whale almost surfaced:
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1983953/oracle-apple-announce-merger

Now that I remember it was well before the iPhone was released and the rumors reached a fever pitch online after a Google representative intimated (at a WWDC, talking about improvements in Maps, I think) that it would be a great thing if Apple and Google just merged, he even suggested the cheesy name "Goo-apple" or something like that. It wouldn't shock me if more than a few people remember this.

Considering it was probably somewhere between 1999-2006 I think most of the web journals that would have carried the story are probably long since gone.

I would be very surprised of a rumor about Google and Apple merger on 1997.

When you can find anything that is not a joke or a time travel link it

Never has been any serious rumor of a merge between Apple and Google

Imhotep397
May 28, 2013, 12:43 PM
I would be very surprised...

Whatever cauliflower fingers...the person that picks a forum fight with everyone on Macrumors. (you should be taken oh, so seriously...bwahahahaha)

Oletros
May 28, 2013, 12:48 PM
Whatever cauliflower fingers...the person that picks a forum fight with everyone on Macrumors. (you should be taken oh, so seriously...bwahahahaha)

Perhaps more seriously than one that first has linked an April's fool article and second, has posted an article from a date before Google existed.

I don't have to fight, you lose alone making those ridiculous claims.

Do you feel a bad boy calling me cauliflower fingers? It says a lot about you.