Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesdrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
sJfMvoK.png

My early 2011 MBP has recently been frustratingly sluggish whenever I watch high quality video (even 480p or less, occasionally). After a shot time viewing youtube videos I get very bad frame rate drops, fans going mad and CPU spikes. Pausing the video and allowing buffer time doesn't seem to have any discernible effect either.

Here's an activity log of when it happens;

mVSt11F.png

Occasional when viewing youtube videos, my mouse speed also becomes super-sensitive for no apparent reason. It returns back to normal after closing the video down and waiting a few minutes.

I've updated flash, reset SMC and PRAM tried HTML5 - nothing. Any ideas?

jamesdrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Try using Safari for the same video to see whether it again happens. It looks like Firefox and Flash mess up the kernel task.

Sorry, forgot to mention; the same thing happens in both Chrome and Safari.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
"High-quality" and Flash video is very close to being an oxymoron. Now you know why Jobs hated it.

jamesdrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Hello,

First, you're in the wrong forum section. This section is for the desktop Mac Pro.

Second, this post might help you, describing issues with kernel task and heat (videos tend to heat our computers up).

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17841142#17841142

Good luck

Loa

Apologies, could a mod please move this to the correct sub-forum?

Also, I'm not sure if it is just related to video. It occasionally happens just through regular web browsing when I have multiple tabs open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.