PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.8.4 Build 12E47 Seeded to Developers

MacRumors
May 8, 2013, 03:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/08/os-x-10-8-4-build-12e47-seeded-to-developers/)

As noted by 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/08/apple-seeds-os-x-10-8-4-beta-build-12e47-to-developers/), Apple today seeded*build 12E47 of OS X 10.8.4 to developers. The release comes eight days after the previous build 12E40 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/30/apple-seeds-build-12e40-of-os-x-beta-10-8-4-developers/), and marks the sixth beta iteration of OS X 10.8.4.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/12e47.jpg
As with previous beta releases, Apple continues to ask developers to focus on Wi-Fi, Graphics Drivers, and Safari.

The update is available through the software update tool in the Mac App Store and Apple's Developer Page (https://developer.apple.com/).

Article Link: OS X 10.8.4 Build 12E47 Seeded to Developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/08/os-x-10-8-4-build-12e47-seeded-to-developers/)

komodrone
May 8, 2013, 03:24 PM
INB4: If Apple can fix ______________________________________ I'd be sooooo happy.

joshhedge
May 8, 2013, 03:29 PM
Omg iz safari snappier?

tdtran1025
May 8, 2013, 03:30 PM
12E40 graphics drivers are buggy and affect both ATI and NVidia platform. I don't know anout Intel since not available.

keysofanxiety
May 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
INB4: If Apple can fix ______________________________________ I'd be sooooo happy.

COOL, so you want Apple to fix their underscores as well? I thought I was the only one. ;)

Parasprite
May 8, 2013, 04:00 PM
12E40 graphics drivers are buggy and affect both ATI and NVidia platform. I don't know anout Intel since not available.

They are still buggy.

I mean I don't have a developer account nor have downloaded any 10.8.4 build, but yes they are certainly still buggy.

They are always buggy.:(

JoeyCloverfield
May 8, 2013, 04:04 PM

Is this the new "first!"?

Scellow
May 8, 2013, 04:09 PM
As usual, focus on Wifi, Safari and Graphics driver, this is too large ! we need detail apple, what you already fixed ? which thing needed to be fixed.. Apple wont pay for engiener and let developer find bugs for free ... sad

Prof.
May 8, 2013, 04:28 PM
Hoping this fixes the "random falling asleep" of my MacBook Pro.

cole01
May 8, 2013, 04:49 PM
Another "hope this fixes..." post but I sincerely hope this update fixes the ridiculously long time it takes my top-spec late 2012 iMac to wake from sleep using Bluetooth inputs. It drives me crazy.

Also, my computer rarely goes to sleep automatically like all my previous Macs have done even though I have it set in System Preferences.

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 04:51 PM
I just wish they'd tell us what these are actually going to fix... or is supposed to fix.

komodrone
May 8, 2013, 05:05 PM
Is this the new "first!"?

only if it says "INB4: first"

Sonic
May 8, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hope this fixes the following (on RMBP)...

1. Constantly super-choppy Mission Control
2. Occasional weird graphical glitches in Safari (flickering images when scrolling, usually when quite a few tabs open)
3. The Safari 'super text slowdown' bug, not sure what triggers it, makes typing virtually impossible

oneMadRssn
May 8, 2013, 05:16 PM
I was planning to do a clean reinstall this weekend and downgrade to 10.8.2 because 10.8.3 has brought on some terrible wake from sleep crashes. I'm tempted to try this build beforehand just to see if it will help.

cmChimera
May 8, 2013, 05:28 PM

What programs are you using? I've noticed lagginess in mission control only when using certain programs (Word). I currently have the App store, contacts, mail, calendar, reminders, notes, messages, safari, iTunes, and Preview up and there's no lag whatsoever. Obviously, one can't help using programs they need, but I'm just curious if people are noticing this too.

milo
May 8, 2013, 05:30 PM
I'm tempted to try this build beforehand just to see if it will help.

If you can get your hands on it, no harm in trying it out if you're planning on downgrading your system anyway.

dkouts
May 8, 2013, 05:35 PM
Steadily approaching OS XI.

Wonder if they'll re-engineer it new from ground up or keep tweaking X as it is.

I have an uneasy feeling 11 is going to be the OS they finally ditch a file-based system.

blacktape242
May 8, 2013, 05:37 PM

wow im not the only one having that problem!?!?!

Ddyracer
May 8, 2013, 05:52 PM

Wonder if they'll re-engineer it new from ground up or keep tweaking X as it is.

I have an uneasy feeling 11 is going to be the OS they finally ditch a file-based system.

I thought so too, before the rumor of a improved finder for 10.9 came up. Why in God's name would they revamp it and then ditch it one year later? It doesn't make sense, it really does not.

Apple does giveth then taketh, but so soon? Nah, they will get rid of it for something like iOS has but it's further off.

needfx
May 8, 2013, 06:31 PM
OMG!! I have nothing to say!!

ghostface147
May 8, 2013, 06:47 PM
OMG!! I have nothing to say!!

Except that you just did....

needfx
May 8, 2013, 06:55 PM

do you mean that literally, philosophically or semantically?

demetr1
May 8, 2013, 07:03 PM
I hope this fixes the slow shut down times...

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 07:08 PM
I hope this fixes the slow shut down times...

This has been beaten to death.

It's not a bug, it's a "feature". It has to do with the fact that some Apple processes don't just shut down. According to a lot of people, that's by design.

Saladinos
May 8, 2013, 07:11 PM
OK, this bug has annoyed me for ages - it's a massively obvious one so I'd like to know if you all experience it too.

1. In Safari, type some text in a text field (it can be any text field - the reply box on this forum, Google search box, Facebook status field, whatever).

2. Zoom in to the page by pinching your fingers apart on a multi-touch trackpad.

3. Now try and use the arrow keys to move the text cursor around - on my system, you can't see the cursor move at all.

Everyone else experience that? Annoys the hell out of me. I always zoom in to text fields.

----------

It's not a bug, it's a "feature". It has to do with the fact that some Apple processes don't just shut down. According to a lot of people, that's by design.

Link for more information? I'm interested.

needfx
May 8, 2013, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=Saladinos;17247009]OK, this bug has annoyed me for ages - it's a massively obvious one so I'd like to know if you all experience it too.

1. In Safari, type some text in a text field (it can be any text field - the reply box on this forum, Google search box, Facebook status field, whatever).

2. Zoom in to the page by pinching your fingers apart on a multi-touch trackpad.

3. Now try and use the arrow keys to move the text cursor around - on my system, you can't see the cursor move at all.

Everyone else experience that? Annoys the hell out of me. I always zoom in to text fields.[COLOR="#808080"] [/QUOTE=Saladinos;17247009]

actually arrow keys allow the page movement left & right when zoomed-in and not over the text field. not sure if it's a bug or an overrule. you can always click the cursor where you want it until & if they address this

palmharbor
May 8, 2013, 07:22 PM
Do not expect Apple to Fix Mail by restoring rejection, send back....add a draft button.
Do not expect Apple to expand copy/paste, unchanged since about 1994.
Do not expect Apple to improve and quicken forced quit.
Do not expect Apple to speed up S L O W Safari.
Do not expect Apple to improve the week function of finding files
Do expect more things that interface with Twitter, Facebook, Cloud Storeage,
iPhone, iPad....stuff most people care nothing about.
Sorry.

Saladinos
May 8, 2013, 07:29 PM
actually arrow keys allow the page movement left & right when zoomed-in and not over the text field. not sure if it's a bug or an overrule. you can always click the cursor where you want it until & if they address this

The cursor stops blinking, which makes me think its a redrawing issue.

Clicking doesn't help too much - you still get all kinds of rendering artefacts - chopped up bits of characters between lines and in empty space, double cursors, etc.

Like this one:

Prof.
May 8, 2013, 07:37 PM
wow im not the only one having that problem!?!?!
A small number of people are having this issue.

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 07:41 PM
OK, this bug has annoyed me for ages - it's a massively obvious one so I'd like to know if you all experience it too.

Everyone else experience that? Annoys the hell out of me. I always zoom in to text fields.

----------

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16162261&postcount=103

with a potential fix

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16163178&postcount=105

Apple services shutting down slowly for whatever reason. I ended up doing the method, but it was a temporary fix.

----------

Do not expect Apple to Fix Mail by restoring rejection, send back....add a draft button.
Do not expect Apple to expand copy/paste, unchanged since about 1994.
Do not expect Apple to improve and quicken forced quit.
Do not expect Apple to speed up S L O W Safari.
Do not expect Apple to improve the week function of finding files
Do expect more things that interface with Twitter, Facebook, Cloud Storeage,
iPhone, iPad....stuff most people care nothing about.
Sorry.

Errr... Safari is snappier in this seed.

>_>;

Every build it gets faster. If you wanted it to be really fast, though, you'd use webkit nightly. It has an updater for OS X.

MACRM32
May 8, 2013, 08:03 PM
Are we going for another 8.3, or is this the breaking of a new record altogether?

bedifferent
May 8, 2013, 09:07 PM

My current gen Mac Pro w/ ATI Radeon 5870 was all over the place w/ 12E40; scrolling stuttered, moving Finder/Safari/etc windows created ghosting, et al. I checked Quartz Debug, and noticed Quartz Extreme and GL were no longer enabled. I checked them both (again) in HW Acceleration and for some reason everything was back to good. Installing this update now.

Anyone else notice that bluetooth keyboard kext's don't load quick enough to use the keyboard to reset PRAM or option boot into other drives? No matter the Mac model/year, I have to keep a wired keyboard around. Isn't that odd given Apple's push for bluetooth keyboards? Is there something I'm missing?

MrNomNoms
May 8, 2013, 09:08 PM
It appears that Apple is really pushing the envelop when it comes to testing; Safari has been upgraded to 6.0.5 so does that mean 10.9 will see 6.1 and shortly after a jump in version numbers to 7.x - kind of depressing IMHO that there are a tonne of features in the public source code of Webkit that haven't made their way into Safari but I'm sure there is a legitimate reason.

As for what others have been experiencing, I must be the luckiest man on earth but then again when 10.8.3 came out I did a clean install on my iMac and MacBook Pro with neither showing the problems that are present by some here; all I can suggest is maybe a clean install of OS X 10.8.3 and then work up from a clean base until the problem starts to appear and if a problem appears after installing an application or drive then it is time to contact the vendor to inform them about how their product is disrupting your work flow.

akac
May 8, 2013, 09:30 PM
kind of depressing IMHO that there are a tonne of features in the public source code of Webkit that haven't made their way into Safari but I'm sure there is a legitimate reason.

I'm curious like what?

MrNomNoms
May 8, 2013, 09:40 PM
I'm curious like what?

There have been some on here noting the performance issues with Safari on their Retina MacBook Pro but those performance issues having been addressed on the publicly available Webkit builds.

slime73
May 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
Can someone check (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) whether any new OpenGL extensions are exposed with this build?

For reference, these are the extensions exposed in 10.8.3 (in the Core 3.2 OpenGL profile, viewable in the 'Extensions' or 'Report' tab of the OpenGL Extensions Viewer)

http://i.imgur.com/7kZzTuh.png

moderngamenewb
May 8, 2013, 10:12 PM

Which MacBook Pro are you using? I just got the Retina back in December, but on my 2010 MacBook Pro that I had before that, it would do the "random falling asleep" as well.

bedifferent
May 8, 2013, 10:22 PM
Can someone check (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) whether any new OpenGL extensions are exposed with this build?

For reference, these are the extensions exposed in 10.8.3 (in the Core 3.2 OpenGL profile, viewable in the 'Extensions' or 'Report' tab of the OpenGL Extensions Viewer)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/7kZzTuh.png)

Not much has changed since the last build

slime73
May 8, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for checking! The driver version number increased at least (from 1.6.37 on my 10.8.3 system with an AMD GPU to 1.8.18 on yours.) :)

Prof.
May 8, 2013, 10:52 PM
Which MacBook Pro are you using? I just got the Retina back in December, but on my 2010 MacBook Pro that I had before that, it would do the "random falling asleep" as well.
I have the mid-2012 15" MBP.

Eithanius
May 8, 2013, 11:47 PM
Not much has changed since the last build

That Ferengi is incompetent... Die Mountain Lion Die...!!! :mad::mad:

Now who wants to let go of their MBPs that are capable of Snow Leopard...? :D:D

koban4max
May 8, 2013, 11:51 PM
Omg iz safari snappier?

what's snappier? that's so retro.

ArmCortexA8
May 9, 2013, 12:11 AM
Installed latest build onto my MacBook Air 2011 model, no issues. Bear in mind I have never had to do a clean install of the OS, and the system came with Lion when purchased then upgraded to 10.8 and then installed the developer builds after I registered - no major issues whatsoever.

bradhs
May 9, 2013, 12:12 AM
I just tried this in Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) and it seems to be working just fine. The cursor actually stops blinking and stays solid so that you know the exact position of it. You can then click anywhere within the text box to move the cursor which will start blinking again if you zoom back out.

----------

ctakah
May 9, 2013, 02:19 AM

that was actually pretty good, what he said

TheTissot11
May 9, 2013, 02:46 AM
I don't know what kinds of improvements Apple is making with each beta. Those of you who are testing these betas, can you share your general opinion about the stability, graphics performance without violating your NDAs? 10.8.3 brought lots of improvements for me, but I still believe a bug related to mdworker or Spotlight indexing is still present in 10.8.3. It caused system lockups on my rMBP before, however booting it once in the Safe mode lockups disappeared. Though, Spotlight indexing related bugs has appeared now, e.g. when I download a PDF file using Safari's Download to Stack option, Spotlight refused to assign any date and size information to the PDF downloaded. After I restarted the rMBP, it went away. Apparently, there are changes to Unix in 10.8.3 as well. Some of the unix commands that worked well in 10.8.2, do not work anymore or have to modified slightly in 10.8.3, including the mdfind command for searching the files on my rMBP and defaults command for changing the certain system behaviour. Can anyone share thoughts on these...

iBug2
May 9, 2013, 02:56 AM
I just tried this in Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) and it seems to be working just fine. The cursor actually stops blinking and stays solid so that you know the exact position of it. You can then click anywhere within the text box to move the cursor which will start blinking again if you zoom back out.

Except the cursor can't be moved by arrow keys while you are zoomed in. This would be indeed annoying for someone who zooms into the text fields.

JGRE
May 9, 2013, 03:10 AM

Yes, but wouldn't it be great if they let us choose for this instead of pushing it down our throat? Perhaps a switch in the systems setting as I haven't had any problem at all with the fast close in the past.

leman
May 9, 2013, 03:38 AM
I mean I don't have a developer account nor have downloaded any 10.8.4 build, but yes they are certainly still buggy.

Graphics drivers are always buggy, by definition :)

----------

2. Occasional weird graphical glitches in Safari (flickering images when scrolling, usually when quite a few tabs open)
3. The Safari 'super text slowdown' bug, not sure what triggers it, makes typing virtually impossible

All of these have been fixed for me in 10.8.3

fhall1
May 9, 2013, 05:30 AM

Do you have the Apple software roadmap? Is there a rule that says after 10.9 they have to go to 11? Why not 10.10?
(No Spinal Tap references please)

Michael Goff
May 9, 2013, 08:40 AM
Yes, but wouldn't it be great if they let us choose for this instead of pushing it down our throat? Perhaps a switch in the systems setting as I haven't had any problem at all with the fast close in the past.

You are aware of the company that makes OS X, right?

szw-mapple fan
May 9, 2013, 10:24 AM

Try Insomnia X.

Morris
May 9, 2013, 11:57 AM
Do you have the Apple software roadmap? Is there a rule that says after 10.9 they have to go to 11? Why not 10.10?
(No Spinal Tap references please)

You are right, I don't think 11 or XI is anywhere near. I expect Apple to save that for a really major change such as dropping the X86 architecture (for ARM?) or moving to one OS for 'desktop' and mobile.

That moment is not very close. Perhaps XI will be launched after 10.11 or after 10.12 so they won't have to make a v13. Some people are sensitive about that particular number apparently.

Mike MA
May 9, 2013, 12:31 PM
Will it be double digit again before release?

Saladinos
May 9, 2013, 12:32 PM

The cursor stopping blinking is a bug - the textbox stops refreshing when zoomed with the gesture. You get other rendering artefacts, too.

You can click because that triggers a redraw, but if you use the arrow keys (because you're typing so your hands are already on the keyboard) it doesn't redraw, you can't see where the cursor is, and you get multiple cursors and bits of chopped characters between lines.

needfx
May 9, 2013, 12:41 PM
The cursor stops blinking, which makes me think its a redrawing issue.

Clicking doesn't help too much - you still get all kinds of rendering artefacts - chopped up bits of characters between lines and in empty space, double cursors, etc.

Like this one:

indeed, rendering artefacts and such are apparent.

vanc
May 9, 2013, 12:55 PM
The cursor stopping blinking is a bug - the textbox stops refreshing when zoomed with the gesture. You get other rendering artefacts, too.

You can click because that triggers a redraw, but if you use the arrow keys (because you're typing so your hands are already on the keyboard) it doesn't redraw, you can't see where the cursor is, and you get multiple cursors and bits of chopped characters between lines.

That's definitely a bug. Tried Chrome, it does not suffer from that. But the zooming process is a bit laggy.

GIZBUG
May 9, 2013, 05:01 PM
Omg iz safari snappier?

Got old months ago, bud...

Nomax2000
May 10, 2013, 06:30 AM
And again, what is the nvidia driver version? Thank you.

moderngamenewb
May 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
I have the mid-2012 15" MBP.

I wonder if it's an OS problem then

Prof.
May 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
I wonder if it's an OS problem then
I'm sure it is, it only started happening when I updated to 10.8.3

Areos
May 10, 2013, 12:04 PM
And again, what is the nvidia driver version? Thank you.

8.12.47 310.40.00.05f01

Seems only Geforce Drivers has change, NVDAHal Drivers stays the same

The Deepness
May 10, 2013, 02:43 PM
I hope it fixes whatever causes my iMac and iPhone 5 to spontaneously stop being able to Sync over Wi-Fi.

Michael Goff
May 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
I hope it fixes whatever causes my iMac and iPhone 5 to spontaneously stop being able to Sync over Wi-Fi.

Wouldn't that require an update to iTunes?

sundragon
May 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Omg iz safari snappier?

/rant

I hope your mac implodes into a gravitational singularity and sucks you in... I wish I had a nickel for every time someone uses this "joke"... It's like the Fandroids that think it's funny to keep repeating "You're holding it wrong..."

/end rant

The Deepness
May 11, 2013, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't that require an update to iTunes?

I don't know exactly where the problem lies, but I don't think it's (just) iTunes. I'd sync over Wi-Fi at night when I went to bed and then try to sync again in the morning and it would fail for no apparent reason.

If I initiated the sync from the iPhone, it would just give up "looking for" my iMac after about a minute and stop. If I initiated the sync from the iMac (iTunes), after about a minute the iPhone would disappear from the list of connected devices.

Both the iMac and iPhone had been on and plugged in all night, and iTunes was up and running the whole time. All software on all devices is up to date and seemingly configured correctly. Sync Over Wi-Fi would just stop working like the iMac and iPhone just couldn't see each other.

Restarting iTunes didn't resolve the problem. Restarting the iPhone didn't resolve the problem. Restarting the iMac, usually resolved the problem. I say "usually" because I recently reconnected an old AirPort Express (802.11g) to my Wi-Fi network (all other base stations are 802.11n) and the iPhone connected through that. I couldn't get the Sync Over Wi-Fi feature to work at all until I disconnected the APE(g).

Now, the only thing that seems to guarantee consistent, daily iPhone backups and syncs is scheduling my iMac to shut down during the night (scheduling the iMac to go to sleep and wake up didn't work). Because I have a system password set, I have to manually start it up in the morning and log in. As soon as iTunes auto-launches, it immediately finds the iPhone without fail and executes a backup and sync.

I'd just rather not have to shut down my iMac every night to get this feature to work reliably.

joshhedge
May 11, 2013, 08:09 AM
/rant

I hope your mac implodes into a gravitational singularity and sucks you in... I wish I had a nickel for every time someone uses this "joke"... It's like the Fandroids that think it's funny to keep repeating "You're holding it wrong..."

/end rant

Hehe

Risco
May 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
/rant

/end rant

Unfortunately there are many children ( some of them adults ) on here who think it is funny, quite pathetic really.

Michael Goff
May 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately there are many children ( some of them adults ) on here who think it is funny, quite pathetic really.

It's less pathetic to rant about it, right? :o

milo
May 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
Edit - post I responded to has been removed.

RedGeminiPA
May 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
Does anyone else have a new Mac mini with lingering HDMI display issues?

Since 10.8.3, two different times I noticed my monitor displays a severe pinkish/purple hue when awaking from sleep. I have to put it to sleep again to correct the issue.

Monitor is an HP Pavilion 23bw - 23" IPS display. Same as the 23xi, but matte screen and all black instead of silver.

sundragon
May 14, 2013, 02:11 PM
It's less pathetic to rant about it, right? :o

Bonus points for brevity and use of 'Singularity'? :D

Michael Goff
May 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
Bonus points for brevity and use of 'Singularity'? :D

I do have to say, that word isn't used enough.

Risco
May 15, 2013, 01:12 PM
Final tonight?

milo
May 15, 2013, 01:51 PM
I expect more betas, still some problems that are probably too major to release.

milo
May 15, 2013, 05:16 PM
And sure enough, now 52 is out.

kvnfo
May 15, 2013, 05:20 PM
And sure enough, now 52 is out.

You're right, I'm downloading now.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/spa/k2o5r8rlf8rih9o/zj0_upuq.png

Melbourne Park
Jun 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
High,

I upgraded to the latest Safari, on a MacPro mid 2010 machine using a ATI Radeon HD 5770 card, Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) and I can no longer close a single only Safari web page.

I cannot find a place to close the last page - after I've closed all the tabs. And with a multi-tab page, I also cannot simply close down that page, along with all its tabs.

Can anyone help? It's driving me crazy ...