PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Storage Problem?

FullMetalx117
May 8, 2013, 07:27 PM
I recently bought a 2012 macbook air 128gb version. When I first started i checked the storage it had 120gb available in total storage. I downloaded ilife, iwork, itunes stuff, etc. Now when I am checking the storage I only have 60gb available? My suspicion is that it has something o do with itunes. have several movies on my itunes account and about 30gb being used is from movies. I haven't actually downloaded any movies though. I usually just stream them. Music also taking up 800 megabytes even though i only actually downloaded one song. And finally about 22 gb is being taken by "other" which i really don't know. I am a former pc user and this stuff was usually easy to figure out for me. Anyone know what the problem is?

Pharmscott
May 8, 2013, 08:37 PM
If you suspect iTunes, open Finder and go to Users -> Your username -> Music -> iTunes and use Get Info to see how much space the folders are taking up. Then you'll know.

FullMetalx117
May 8, 2013, 09:26 PM
just did that. itunes not taking up more than 3 gbs

maxosx
May 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
Just took delivery of my Passport Air from WD. Barely larger than a credit card, all aluminum premium finish, its outstanding.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1040

Virtual Steve
May 8, 2013, 10:36 PM
You might want to take a look at Daisy Disk (http://www.daisydiskapp.com/) - you can download it and use the free trial version, which I believe has no expiration date - it will help you see where your largest files are located. Since you're a former Windows user, it's pretty close to windirstat, if you ever used that in your past life. Also check for local Time Machine backups - they can also take up a good chunk of storage.

Pharmscott
May 9, 2013, 08:18 PM
just did that. itunes not taking up more than 3 gbs

So, we know it's not iTunes. What else could it be? I'll assume you've emptied the trash. Did you install Windows/Bootcamp? How about browsing around in finder and see which main folders are bloated and then drill down from there?

nissan.gtp
May 9, 2013, 08:39 PM
time machine backup to internal drive ?