PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] Android or Windows Phone?

Fandroid98
May 8, 2013, 08:20 PM
If you could not use iOS, would you switch to Android or Windows Phone (And W8 for tabs)?
:D

TheMTtakeover
May 8, 2013, 08:30 PM
Android. I'm not a big fan of the live tiles. And I have enough issue with windows as it is. I don't need it on my phone.:P.

In all seriousness though, the openness of android offers a lot of benefits that I couldn't get from windows phone 8.

tbayrgs
May 8, 2013, 08:30 PM
If you could not use iOS, would you switch to Android or Windows Phone (And W8 for tabs)?
:D

I really enjoyed WP when I used 7.5 for a bit and imagine WP 8 is even better. The biggest obstacles, and what led me to skip WP (strongly considered a Lumia 920), are Google choosing not to support it and the inferior app marketplace. As great as the UI may be, a weak app ecosystem kills the experience/usability.

sentinelsx
May 8, 2013, 08:50 PM
Android if I couldn't use ios. Or even bb10. That is because I don't like metro, not a bit. The UI is simply not my cup of tea.

And because of that blocky and large text UI on windows rt/8 as well, I would rather wait for the day when the ipad runs OS X than buy a windows rt/pro tablet. Until then my win 7 machine will be my saviour :)

viskon
May 8, 2013, 08:59 PM
If the UI is the only reason that you are considering Windows, get an Android and install a Windows launcher. Best of both worlds!

MuffCabbage
May 8, 2013, 11:39 PM
I went Windows Phone already and glad I did over Android. Ive had some hardware issues with the 8X though and I really hope MSFT picks up the pace in a few areas. Theyve definitely picked up the pace with the apps lately tho.

ReanimationN
May 9, 2013, 12:52 AM
WP8 and W8 for sure. W8 just needs the next generation Atom hardware to be an almost unbeatable tablet OS.

watchthisspace
May 9, 2013, 03:42 AM
Would be the excuse for me to go Windows Phone.

The-Real-Deal82
May 9, 2013, 04:01 AM
Nokia's sales are reported to be seriously down on what was expected by their shareholders as reported the other day. I think if I was leaving iOS I would go back to Android as I feel in the long run it has a lot more to offer. I would be surprised if Windows Phone is around in 5 years personally. I think they were far too late to the party and are struggling to catch up. Even Blackberry are ahead in market share and they virtually had a year out!

thejadedmonkey
May 9, 2013, 07:23 AM
I'm already in the windows phone /windows 8 tablet camp, and find with a few exceptions it far exceeds iOS in every regard.

Napoleon7
May 9, 2013, 07:29 AM
Please elaborate.

Tough call coming up for me whether I get iphone5, lumia 928, or some droid on VZW.

lobeyonekenobi
May 9, 2013, 07:44 AM
With the exception of the HTC One I'd say Windows Phone 8 as a friend has got a Nokia and it seems a pretty cool OS TBH.

It's really a pity they left it as long as they did to enter the Tablet/Mobile market as they've a lot of ground to make up.

chagla
May 9, 2013, 07:48 AM
while windows phone is different from both Android and Ios, it severely lacks apps. don't get me wrong though. Windows phones are fast, fluid and fun to use.

having said that, I'd go with Android.

Liquorpuki
May 9, 2013, 01:06 PM
I really enjoyed WP when I used 7.5 for a bit and imagine WP 8 is even better. The biggest obstacles, and what led me to skip WP (strongly considered a Lumia 920), are Google choosing not to support it and the inferior app marketplace. As great as the UI may be, a weak app ecosystem kills the experience/usability.

I'm an 8X owner who went back to the Windows ecosystem after 4 years of iOS and these are all valid concerns. I'm watching for iOS7 but if it doesn't get a radical facelift, I'm sticking with WP8.

Nokia's sales are reported to be seriously down on what was expected by their shareholders as reported the other day. I think if I was leaving iOS I would go back to Android as I feel in the long run it has a lot more to offer. I would be surprised if Windows Phone is around in 5 years personally. I think they were far too late to the party and are struggling to catch up. Even Blackberry are ahead in market share and they virtually had a year out!

If I had to criticize Nokia's strategy in the US, I'd rail on them for only releasing their flagship phone on 1 carrier. The 920 is typically considered the the best WP8 phone out there but if you're on Verizon, you're stuck with an 8X or an inferior 820.

I'm waiting for the 928 or the Lumia EOS to hit Verizon. Nokia has always put out premium tech. They just haven't made it accessible.

3bs
May 9, 2013, 03:32 PM
Definitely Android. WP8 is too limiting for me right now and I ended up selling my 8X.