PDA

View Full Version : Tips to make iMac G3 run faster on the Internet?

LOLZpersonok
May 8, 2013, 08:53 PM
I have an iMac G3 slot loader with a 350MHz processor and 512MB of RAM. It's a summer of 2000 iMac.

Before I accidentally murdered Mac OS X 10.2 and put OS 9 on it, it used to run oddly quickly on the Internet. Despite a couple incorrectly rendered sites every here and then and the normal slow site, it was much faster than it is now. It was even able to tackle Omegle perfectly fine and functionally.

Now that I have installed Mac OS X 10.2.8 again (alongside OS 9.2) so I could play all of my M4A and M4P music again, it's significantly slower on the Internet now, I have no clue why. Most of the time I can't even get a new stranger on Omegle! Pages load much slower than they did before. It's also not any better under Mac OS 9.2

Can anyone provide me with any optimization tips? Sorry if there is any misspellings or incorrect words. I'm using my iPod right now.

Lil Chillbil
May 8, 2013, 10:37 PM
I have an iMac G3 slot loader with a 350MHz processor and 512MB of RAM. It's a summer of 2000 iMac.

Before I accidentally murdered Mac OS X 10.2 and put OS 9 on it, it used to run oddly quickly on the Internet. Despite a couple incorrectly rendered sites every here and then and the normal slow site, it was much faster than it is now. It was even able to tackle Omegle perfectly fine and functionally.

Now that I have installed Mac OS X 10.2.8 again (alongside OS 9.2) so I could play all of my M4A and M4P music again, it's significantly slower on the Internet now, I have no clue why. Most of the time I can't even get a new stranger on Omegle! Pages load much slower than they did before. It's also not any better under Mac OS 9.2

Can anyone provide me with any optimization tips? Sorry if there is any misspellings or incorrect words. I'm using my iPod right now.

I would like to add that the internet changes every second and is evolving if this was more than 3 months ago then that is why it feels like night and day.

MisterKeeks
May 9, 2013, 04:32 PM
I would like to add that the internet changes every second and is evolving if this was more than 3 months ago then that is why it feels like night and day.

So it is because the internetz has changed in 3 months so that every site is slower. Nah, I don't think so.

AlbertEinstein
May 10, 2013, 06:28 AM
Browsers man... which were you using on OS 9 and which are you using in 10.2?

Albert

rjcalifornia
May 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

Internet is the same, it is the websites that changes. For some odd reason now we want to have more heavy web apps. HTML5 was made for make things easier to load, unlike flash... Oh well...

LOLZpersonok
May 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
Browsers man... which were you using on OS 9 and which are you using in 10.2?

Albert

In OS 9 it's this weird browser called Mozilla or I'm using iCab.

For 10.2 it's Camino. It was waaaay (actually not that much, but still) faster before when it ran OS 10.2 before I erased the hard drive.

G4TheWin
May 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
I'd just keep that thing on OS 9. It's much too slow for anything beyond that, and there's no updated web browser for Jaguar, the operating system you're running now. For web browsing, use Classilla. It's pretty much Mozilla but updated for the web standards of about Firefox 2, with security updates coming out regularly.

spyguy10709
May 11, 2013, 09:34 PM

Use classilla for OS 9.

It's really the best browser for those old macs, especially when running on such old software

Imixmuan
May 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
sorry double posted, damn Chromium.

Imixmuan
May 12, 2013, 10:40 PM
Amen to those who say use Classilla, its the only browser you should use on OS 9. You can use Classilla in Classic in Jaguar, it may be the most secure browser for Jaguar these days.

Tiger is not completely out of the question even at 350 mhz, it may actually run as well as Jaguar with your 512 MB of RAM. Tiger opens up a ton of modern browser choices. Tenfourfox (will be slow, but pages will render correctly), Omniweb, an even more modern Camino. Just sayin...

Ken Watanabe on the Lowendmac OS 9 user group list posted that he discovered he could actually stream youtube on his Pismo pretty decently using Classilla in Classic with Tiger, and the mobile youtube site. It launches the video (3gp I think) in OS X's Quicktime. In Tenfourfox in OS X 10.4 this little tick doesn't work. Score one for Classilla! Here is the thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/macos9/7pRonFArJ14

People have put mintPPC 9.3 on machines slower than yours and still report decent speed. Just another option.

SawyerTHEBEST
May 13, 2013, 12:28 AM

300mhz good luck > Webkit