Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rufinolorenzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
MN
I was going to update to 10.8 soon but am reading all over the 10.9 will be coming soon. Can I update to 10.9 from 10.7 or am I going to have to update to 10.8 first?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Most likely you can just update to 10.9 when it arrives, but only Apple knows, it could also be a few months away, rumours said engineers where transferred to the iOS team.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
To update to OS X 10.9, you will need a compatible computer, the Mac App Store application, and access to the Mac App Store. OS X 10.7 does nothing to hinder any of these conditions. With OS X 10.7 installed, you should be fine if the other conditions are met.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I was going to update to 10.8 soon but am reading all over the 10.9 will be coming soon. Can I update to 10.9 from 10.7 or am I going to have to update to 10.8 first?
Based on Apple allowing you to upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8 directly, I suspect they will allow 10.7 to 10.9 upgrades and probably 10.6.8 to 10.9 as well.

The only caveat is which machines if amy will Apple drop support wise from 10.9?

To update to OS X 10.9, you will need a compatible computer, the Mac App Store application, and access to the Mac App Store. OS X 10.7 does nothing to hinder any of these conditions. With OS X 10.7 installed, you should be fine if the other conditions are met.
That doesn't answer the question that was asked and we can't know what Apple will allow upgrade wise until they announce it. We can only speculate what will be allowed.

Most likely you can just update to 10.9 when it arrives, but only Apple knows, it could also be a few months away, rumours said engineers where transferred to the iOS team.
Of course this is only speculation, but I suspect Apple will do the same WWDC announcement and then July launch that they did for 10.8. Unless they run into issues with 10.9 that prevent that. Apple's best bet to make sure people upgrade OS X regularly is to keep the upgrades on a fixed schedule. I skipped 10.8 for various reasons, however some of the already leaked 10.9 features makes me lean towards upgrading to 10.9.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

That doesn't answer the question that was asked and we can't know what Apple will allow upgrade wise until they announce it. We can only speculate what will be allowed.

To the contrary, it is remarkably similar to what you posted here in your triple response.

rufinolorenzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
MN
Thanks for the replies. I understand fully... wait until 10.9 as there is no significant advantage to update to 10.8 first is what I suspect.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
there is no significant advantage to update to 10.8 first is what I suspect.
There are plenty of advantages in running 10.8 over 10.7. But there is no need to do so to get to 10.9.

10.9.0 will no doubt have loads of great features, but .0 builds often have many bugs. Many people prefer to wait for .1, .2 or even .3 releases before upgrading.

Last edited:

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia

As a mac noob, are there any preparations required before upgrading to 10.9 for third party applications such as Parallels 7 etc?

Going by the Apple iDevice experience, the new/restored iOS completely wipes the iDevice clean and starts afresh as a new iDevice, is this also the case when upgrading the mac OS?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As a mac noob, are there any preparations required before upgrading to 10.9 for third party applications such as Parallels 7 etc?

Going by the Apple iDevice experience, the new/restored iOS completely wipes the iDevice clean and starts afresh as a new iDevice, is this also the case when upgrading the mac OS?

No,it won't, you can update without anything gets erased.

BUT, always keep a backup, it sometimes can go "wrong".

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yes, you need to make sure the third party software you have is compatible with whatever version of OS X you are upgrading to. Parallels in particular has tended to need updates for new versions of OS X. It all depends on what changes happen to the core of OS X.

Some software won't have any issues - it all depends on what the software is. And some software may have one or 2 quirks or features that may not work right, but otherwise be useable.

If you're upgrading, your data remains intact, however as it has been mentioned, backups are always a good idea. Especially as you never know when a disk might fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.