PDA

View Full Version : Apple Maps for iOS Adds 3D Flyover Coverage in Paris

MacRumors
May 9, 2013, 10:50 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/09/apple-maps-for-ios-adds-3d-flyover-coverage-in-paris/)

As noticed by iGeneration (http://www.igen.fr/app-store/paris-enfin-en-3d-flyover-dans-plans-106175) [Google translation (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&langpair=auto%7Cen&rurl=translate.google.com&tbb=1&u=http://www.igen.fr/app-store/paris-enfin-en-3d-flyover-dans-plans-106175)], Apple has added new Flyover imagery and 3D buildings for Paris, France. The new imagery, which extends into the Paris suburbs, marks a significant enhancement for Apple's 3D maps in France given that the only previous coverage in the country was for the city of Lyon.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/paris_3d_flyover.jpg
Apple maintains a list of cities (http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-3d-buildings-in-navigation) for which it offers 3D building coverage, as well as other iOS 6 features, but it has yet to update the list with mention of Paris or any other potential recent additions.

Article Link: Apple Maps for iOS Adds 3D Flyover Coverage in Paris (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/09/apple-maps-for-ios-adds-3d-flyover-coverage-in-paris/)

johnnyjibbs
May 9, 2013, 10:53 AM
This was one of the most notable omissions.

Now we just need them to do DC, or does the Pentagon object?

Nitrocide
May 9, 2013, 11:04 AM
Why does it take so long? How are they supposed to keep this all up to date?

petsk
May 9, 2013, 11:05 AM
Unbelievable that they keep working on this worthless function for no good reason what so ever. Apple must really suffer from a severe brain drain these days.

What about adding something useful for a change, how about street view, or speeding cameras, or something else USEFUL!

Christoffee
May 9, 2013, 11:13 AM
Apple Maps Processes Your Corrections

Can't wait to see that headline.

matty.p
May 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
Wow this makes me want to go back to Paris so bad, you can tell they put some detail into the Eiffel tower too.

I think it's interesting that at first we saw lots of cities all at once and now it's been months between one or two cities. I think that speaks to the attention they are paying to satellite data and POI index. Now that it's starting to get a bit better they'll move resources back to flyover.

ToomeyND
May 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
To find this flyover, search for "Chicago."

pezj
May 9, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hope 3D maps dont get flatter in iOS7

lincolntran
May 9, 2013, 11:31 AM
Unbelievable that they keep working on this worthless function for no good reason what so ever. Apple must really suffer from a severe brain drain these days.

What about adding something useful for a change, how about street view, or speeding cameras, or something else USEFUL!

I found this fly over feature most useful. It gives me a general view of the environment that I'm about to visit. It makes my brain retain detail info easier.

FirstNTenderbit
May 9, 2013, 11:37 AM
Magnifique!!

- Jean Claude Bouvier
Parisian Board of Tourism
Helicopter Division

uptownnyc
May 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
I'd choose StreetView over this every time.

Radio
May 9, 2013, 12:28 PM
Useless function

Apple must believe we customers buy into gimmicks

nekonari
May 9, 2013, 12:50 PM
I'd choose StreetView over this every time.

I find Street View only sometimes useful. It doesn't particularly give you a sense of direction, and a lot of times (esp. suburban areas) what I'm looking for is obscured by trees and what not, I often get lost if I rely strictly on it.

Aldaris
May 9, 2013, 01:03 PM
It's nice in the classroom to go on 'field trips' to these distant lands for those if us that couldn't go, but gives students a way to become a little familiar to see certain sites and what not.

As for myself, It's a gimmick but a fun gimmick.

needfx
May 9, 2013, 01:21 PM
I'm making a note in calendar with an annual reminder to commemorate this glorious day! I only wish iPhone had bump so I could share the calendar note with all my friends.

g-7
May 9, 2013, 01:34 PM
Street View works almost everywhere. Flyover works in several selected cities.
Case closed. ;)

carlgo
May 9, 2013, 01:55 PM
Add this to Amazon's 3D screen. That would be interesting.

Mc1gers
May 9, 2013, 02:24 PM
It might not be a "useful" feature per se, but I find it enjoyable having a browse about some of the worlds famous landmarks with this feature.

jamesjingyi
May 9, 2013, 02:40 PM
Is it just me or do all the sides of the buildings look melted??? Shouldn't this be sorted out?

ufwa
May 9, 2013, 03:21 PM
For those who have never been that view doesn't do the Louvre justice. It makes the place look small.

The place is huge. You can spend an entire day there and won't see everything. There's place to sit in every corridor.

In terms of sheer size, standing the garden @ the Palace of Versailles wins it for me. Its endless. I can't imagine how many people they employ and how long it takes to maintain things. Today or even hundreds of years ago.

psharp
May 9, 2013, 03:22 PM
It's a shame they still haven't added most of the metro lines to Paris....

Mr.damien
May 9, 2013, 03:40 PM

I love this feature. It beats hands on any street view. The problem is the number of city covered...

toby00001
May 9, 2013, 08:51 PM
To people questioning the value of this feature - you've clearly never used Google Earth. Software and features like this are indispensable to professionals in my industry (architecture & urban design), which makes up more than what I would refer to as a niche in Apple's professional sector.

To people comparing this to Street View - apples and oranges...no pun intended.

tatonka
May 10, 2013, 04:10 AM
To people questioning the value of this feature - you've clearly never used Google Earth. Software and features like this are indispensable to professionals in my industry (architecture & urban design), which makes up more than what I would refer to as a niche in Apple's professional sector.

This is not a niche feature though. It is the one thing distinguishing Apple Maps from Google Map (besides the horrendous search capabilities of the former, but that is beside the point).

@ontopic
I must admit that I would have expected the whole expansion to go a little faster than it does .. but well. I like flyover, but with the current coverages it is next to useless in my life.

Switchback666
May 10, 2013, 04:37 AM
Looks disgusting ! :(

Keane16
May 10, 2013, 04:53 AM
I love this feature. It beats hands on any street view. The problem is the number of city covered...

Have to agree. I'm a big fan of Flyover.

You are obviously one of the smart ones on this forum. They have different use cases. If I want a detailed view, e.g. looking up a house number on the front of a building - I'll use street view. If I want to navigate a city I don't know then I'd use Flyover hands down.

Street view is detailed, but clunky to navigate. Flyover is less detailed but excellent for getting a quick overview. I'm glad on iOS we get both options. :cool:

I'll be using Flyover for just this reason on Monday in Manchester, England to see where I'm going to stand to watch the Manchester United open top bus parade. :)

MonkeySee....
May 10, 2013, 04:56 AM

Worthless?

I find it fascinating. If you're on an iPad an you want to look at these city's for a lesson in school or to see the famous architecture then its amazing.

Just to go Rome for example and learn something.

Oletros
May 10, 2013, 05:10 AM
Flyover/Google's 3D View and Street view have totally different uses and they complement each other.

SBlue1
May 10, 2013, 07:03 AM
while it surely looks nice and some people may use it i find street view way more informative. i was searching for a hotel in NYC and i was not able to check the loction in flyover cause there was allways a tall building in the way no matter what direction i looked from. street view showed me the front of the hotels and i was able to choose the one i liked most.

so yeah this looks like a gimmick like the gimmicks samsung uses in its phones. :(

Keane16
May 10, 2013, 07:45 AM
while it surely looks nice and some people may use it i find street view way more informative. i was searching for a hotel in NYC and i was not able to check the loction in flyover cause there was allways a tall building in the way no matter what direction i looked from. street view showed me the front of the hotels and i was able to choose the one i liked most.

so yeah this looks like a gimmick like the gimmicks samsung uses in its phones. :(

Apart from the fact you're using 2 products with different strengths inefficiently, I just have to ask...

Who on earth picks a hotel by the way it looks on Street View?!?! :confused:

iMikeT
May 10, 2013, 12:26 PM
Nice, it's like I'm in Paris without actually being there! :D

hafr
May 11, 2013, 11:56 AM
Apart from the fact you're using 2 products with different strengths inefficiently, I just have to ask...

Maybe he was looking at the surroundings to make sure the hotel wasn't located in a shady area? And also, the front of a hotel more often than not gives a pretty good indication of whether it's worth what you're paying...

Toltepeceno
May 11, 2013, 12:20 PM
Maybe he was looking at the surroundings to make sure the hotel wasn't located in a shady area? And also, the front of a hotel more often than not gives a pretty good indication of whether it's worth what you're paying...

We look at hotels on street view when going somewhere here in mexico for the exact same reason you stated. There are some hotels that look nice on the internet that are in very bad areas. Not everyone can afford 5 star hotels in the best locations and Not everyone goes to the typical tourist traps (like most mexican's). Street view is great for this.

SBlue1
May 14, 2013, 10:35 AM

:D

I had to choose between some very cheap hotels and I wanted to check the neighborhood as well as see what the hotels looked like since they had no pictures of the buildings. And yeah one of them was in a ghetto kind of street with the building next to it having broken glass windows while the other hotels looked clean and nice and had all kind of cool cafes, bars and delis next to them. So yeah for me it was helpful. :)

My point was that it should be possible to hide obstacles like tall buildings or trees with a click. Would be a big improvement.

Keane16
May 16, 2013, 10:11 AM
:D

I had to choose between some very cheap hotels and I wanted to check the neighborhood as well as see what the hotels looked like since they had no pictures of the buildings. And yeah one of them was in a ghetto kind of street with the building next to it having broken glass windows while the other hotels looked clean and nice and had all kind of cool cafes, bars and delis next to them. So yeah for me it was helpful. :)

My point was that it should be possible to hide obstacles like tall buildings or trees with a click. Would be a big improvement.

Makes sense for you. My apologies if I sounded harsh.

I like the suggestion about being able to hide/see through buildings. Would be nice addition. :)

paulsdenton
May 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
This is great. All the bozo naysayers out there can kiss my derrière. It's like being right there in my second favorite city. The Place des Vosges is astounding! The Place de la Concorde looks weird without any traffic, however. To me the views I like best are the Butte Montmartre, the river, the Grand Palace area, Champs de Mars and Ecole Militaire, but I could go on and on. Love it!!

toby00001
May 21, 2013, 11:39 AM
This is not a niche feature though. It is the one thing distinguishing Apple Maps from Google Map (besides the horrendous search capabilities of the former, but that is beside the point).

@ontopic
I must admit that I would have expected the whole expansion to go a little faster than it does .. but well. I like flyover, but with the current coverages it is next to useless in my life.

I didn't suggest it was a niche feature...