PDA

View Full Version : Netflix for iOS Updated with Movie Recommendations and Auto-Play for TV Shows

MacRumors
May 9, 2013, 11:42 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/09/netflix-for-ios-updated-with-movie-recommendations-and-auto-play-for-tv-shows/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/netflix.jpgNetflix has updated its iOS app to version 4.1, adding several options to encourage continuous content viewing like auto-play for television episodes and post-movie recommendations.

With the new features, after watching an episode of a television show, the next episode will automatically begin to play. Additionally, after a movie ends, Netflix will offer three recommendations for similar movies. The update also includes enhanced second screen options.- Added post-play feature where, when one episode of a TV show ends, the Netflix app automatically cues and then starts the next episode

- In post-play for movies, the three best movie recommendations are displayed at the end of the movie currently being watched

- Added enhanced second screen optionsThe universal Netflix app (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/netflix) is available for download from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/netflix/id363590051?mt=8)]

Article Link: Netflix for iOS Updated with Movie Recommendations and Auto-Play for TV Shows (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/09/netflix-for-ios-updated-with-movie-recommendations-and-auto-play-for-tv-shows/)

Behindthelens24
May 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
The PS3 version of Netflix has been doing this for a while now. Glad apple finally caught up.

QCassidy352
May 9, 2013, 12:06 PM
The PS3 version of Netflix has been doing this for a while now. Glad apple finally caught up.

Apple didn't catch up - It's netflix's app, and they decide when to update it.

pnoyblazed
May 9, 2013, 12:08 PM

I prefer this UI than what comes with my bluray player.. it's less cluttered and just flows

peteullo
May 9, 2013, 12:14 PM
All Netflix needs now is some good content to recommend.

From A Buick 8
May 9, 2013, 12:26 PM

IMOHO
For TV they have a very good selection, and for movies if you like the lower budget or B movies they have a good selection of those as well.

SeanMcg
May 9, 2013, 12:27 PM
One thing I like about the Netflix app on the :apple:TV is the ability to search on an actor or director, not just the film title. I wish they would bring that to the iOS app.

I hope the :apple:TV app is updated to include the new TV show continuous play feature. Consider it a playlist for TV shows. It is sooooo tiring to have to click the two or three times just to get the next episode to play :D Seriously, though, it can come in handy if you are otherwise occupied.

cpatterson1177
May 9, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm glad that Netflix finally added this feature to "i" devices. I love the auto-play feature on the PS3 and have been waiting for them to add it to the "i" devices.

apptactics
May 9, 2013, 12:55 PM
I love this feature on my PS3, and is one of the reasons I prefer using that instead of my Apple TV.

My question: who made the Netflix app for the Apple TV? I assume it wasn't actually Netflix, but rather was Apple, and this is why it isn't as functional as other platform versions. It's like the whole YouTube for iOS thing all over again. Hopefully there is a "real" Netflix app coming in the near future!

lepeos
May 9, 2013, 01:11 PM
So how do you use the whole second screen thing and what shows support it?

rootyb
May 9, 2013, 01:28 PM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. My iPad Netflix app has automatically queued up and played the next episode of a TV show for as long as I can remember.

Hell, usually, it doesn't even finish the credits before playing the next episode.

Am I losing my mind?

FirePhantom
May 9, 2013, 01:31 PM
And still no HD content for Retina iPads. :rolleyes:

ArtOfWarfare
May 9, 2013, 01:33 PM
I like that it automatically plays the next episode and then stops a minute or two into the second episode that it automatically plays... It's good for keeping track of time and realizing "already watched two episodes - time to do something productive."

John.B
May 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
AirPlay support would be great, for those of us who travel. Yeah, no, I didn't think so...

tonyr6
May 9, 2013, 02:00 PM
I hate the stupid auto play feature. Was ticked of when the PS3 and then the Windows 8 app added it now the iPhone app has it. Thad is one advantage of the Roku that it does not have it.

I rarely watch episodes of the same series after each other. At least give us a option in your account to turn off this annoyance. I like opening sequence and the end credits. Remember when TV networks use to do that.

Scarpad
May 9, 2013, 02:07 PM
I hate the stupid auto play feature. Was ticked of when the PS3 and then the Windows 8 app added it now the iPhone app has it. Thad is one advantage of the Roku that it does not have it.

I rarely watch episodes of the same series after each other. At least give us a option in your account to turn off this annoyance. I like opening sequence and the end credits. Remember when TV networks use to do that.

The is a way to tell it not to do that On the PS3 I think its the triangle button

Bill Killer
May 9, 2013, 02:44 PM
Just in time for an Arrested Development rewatch before the new season drops.

SeanMcg
May 9, 2013, 03:02 PM
Just in time for an Arrested Development rewatch before the new season drops.

I was just reading something about "binge viewing" and how it is starting to have an effect on TV programming. As more original content is developed for the Internet, like Arrested Development, House of Cards, and Hemlock Grove, people now have the option to take an entire weekend to watch an entire new series in one day or weekend. No waiting for it to come out each week, or after it has been broadcast on a weekly schedule and then released in digital form of some sort.

If people do it for any movie series with multiple installments, why not a "TV" show? Thinking about it, I kinda wish there were playlists in Netflix to allow you to do the same thing with movies. The pause button is always there when Mother Nature, hunger, or the significant other calls.

milo
May 9, 2013, 04:02 PM
IMOHO
For TV they have a very good selection, and for movies if you like the lower budget or B movies they have a good selection of those as well.

Exactly. People got spoiled by the selection of discs by mail, which allowed them to offer any dvd that was commercially available without needing to negotiate contract rights.

For a streaming service, there's a ton of great TV content and an OK movie selection. People complain it's not enough, but I have yet to see anyone suggest an alternative that has unlimited streaming at that price with a better selection (or really, at any price).

lepeos
May 9, 2013, 04:54 PM
I was just reading something about "binge viewing" and how it is starting to have an effect on TV programming. As more original content is developed for the Internet, like Arrested Development, House of Cards, and Hemlock Grove, people now have the option to take an entire weekend to watch an entire new series in one day or weekend. No waiting for it to come out each week, or after it has been broadcast on a weekly schedule and then released in digital form of some sort.

If people do it for any movie series with multiple installments, why not a "TV" show? Thinking about it, I kinda wish there were playlists in Netflix to allow you to do the same thing with movies. The pause button is always there when Mother Nature, hunger, or the significant other calls.

Something tells me you don't need to worry too much about that last one

SeanMcg
May 9, 2013, 07:07 PM

Wow! Are you the same psychic that said Amanda Berry was dead?

Tiger8
May 9, 2013, 07:38 PM
IMOHO

Indie / Foreign movies selection is great

michaelant
May 9, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'd like the auto-play feature on the PS3 if it didn't cut off the last few seconds of whatever you're watching before jumping to the next episode. It's fine if it's just credits, but some shows have a punchline at the very end after credits, and you miss it. Hitting the circle button doesn't work because it backs you out; you still miss the end, even though it doesn't skip to the next.

jw2002
May 9, 2013, 10:41 PM
Is there a way to permanently disable the post auto-play? I don't like having to tell Netflix every single time to NOT play the next episode when I'm trying to watch the credits of the episode that just ended.

And similarly, I've noticed that with streaming that sometimes Netflix inserts previews instead of playing what I asked to play. NO THANK YOU. They need a way to permanently disable such previews as well.

ArmCortexA8
May 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
Good old Net****z - another pointless overpriced, DRM laced piece of software where people pay to watch material because they want "convenience". I hate streaming services, wont accept any DRM measures, and prefer physical copies of blu-ray movies, instead of having to have a large downloaded quota which they expect me to pay on top of to access their fee based service - talk about a con job.

lepeos
May 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
Wow! Are you the same psychic that said Amanda Berry was dead?

Why? Are you the guy that took her?

Nightarchaon
May 10, 2013, 09:30 AM

I am one of those people, this year ive been recording Game of Thrones, Person of interest, Elementary etc, etc and when i get the full season ill sit and watch them over a weekend whilst doing other things.

This weekend, i intend to sit down and watch American Horror stories second series, maybe, right after i finish watching arrested development (which i missed 1st time around).

To me this is the perfect way to watch a TV show, i recently finished encoding my Fraiser box set, and was watching it as i went over the period of a few weeks, it was the only TV i consumed over that period.

I wouldn't call it "binge" viewing, but it is "concentrated" viewing, no need to keep multiple shows/plots in your head at the same time.

----------

Good old Net****z - another pointless overpriced, DRM laced piece of software where people pay to watch material because they want "convenience". I hate streaming services, wont accept any DRM measures, and prefer physical copies of blu-ray movies, instead of having to have a large downloaded quota which they expect me to pay on top of to access their fee based service - talk about a con job.

um, i don't think you understand DRM at all.

milo
May 10, 2013, 09:38 AM
Is the auto play really enabled all the time with no way to turn it off? That's really annoying and enough to not update the iOS app (at least until they break support for the previous version). Seems to be getting a pretty negative response, hopefully they listen to user reviews and make it a preference.

And what happened to the multiple user queues the announced a while back? Those should be great, when is that going to arrive?

I hate streaming services...

Hard to tell if this post is serious or satire. Eight bucks a month is "overpriced" for unlimited streaming on demand? So what alternative (legal) service offers as much for that price?

And it's a streaming service, DRM doesn't really enter into the equation since files aren't copying over. Or are you whining because you can't record streamed content to a DVR or something? If you prefer discs, that's fine, but you're going to end up paying a lot more or doing a lot less watching.

i recently finished encoding my Fraiser box set, and was watching it...

We just did exactly that. Except that since Frasier is all on NF, we just streamed it all instead of having to buy and rip all the discs.

Rychy
May 10, 2013, 12:31 PM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. My iPad Netflix app has automatically queued up and played the next episode of a TV show for as long as I can remember.

Hell, usually, it doesn't even finish the credits before playing the next episode.

Am I losing my mind?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I'm pretty sure it used to have this feature ... but I think it might have disappeared in one of the redesign updates.

... but maybe we're both losing our minds. lol.

rootyb
May 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I'm pretty sure it used to have this feature ... but I think it might have disappeared in one of the redesign updates.

... but maybe we're both losing our minds. lol.

Thank you! I wish I hadn't updated, so I could test it.

ArmCortexA8
May 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
Hard to tell if this post is serious or satire. Eight bucks a month is "overpriced" for unlimited streaming on demand? So what alternative (legal) service offers as much for that price?

And it's a streaming service, DRM doesn't really enter into the equation since files aren't copying over. Or are you whining because you can't record streamed content to a DVR or something? If you prefer discs, that's fine, but you're going to end up paying a lot more or doing a lot less watching.

Im serious believe me, if I'm paying for something I want a physical copy, a copy I can play on anything, and without any DRM BS and not forced to do things their way. I don't support streaming because of their enforced control features - Im effectively subsidising the company which I will not do, and will not support any draconian control measures under the guise of "convenience". The same reasons I don't support of use ****ify, Pandora etc.

rootyb
May 12, 2013, 01:07 AM
Im serious believe me, if I'm paying for something I want a physical copy, a copy I can play on anything, and without any DRM BS and not forced to do things their way. I don't support streaming because of their enforced control features - Im effectively subsidising the company which I will not do, and will not support any draconian control measures under the guise of "convenience". The same reasons I don't support of use ****ify, Pandora etc.

Yeah! I hate it when the money I pay to a company helps them to provide a service that's if value to me!

Gah! What *******s!

SlCKB0Y
May 12, 2013, 07:42 AM

Why? Are you the guy that took her?

What a "charming" personality you have there. :eek:

ArmCortexA8
May 13, 2013, 06:15 AM
Yeah! I hate it when the money I pay to a company helps them to provide a service that's if value to me!

Gah! What *******s!

Im willing to pay for a service, on the condition I use what I pay for any way I wish without any DRM or draconian measures to restrict the purchaser of the items as a method of control, and something tangible. Hence, I will always work to bypass any methods in place.

adnbek
May 13, 2013, 06:50 AM
Im willing to pay for a service, on the condition I use what I pay for any way I wish without any DRM or draconian measures to restrict the purchaser of the items as a method of control, and something tangible. Hence, I will always work to bypass any methods in place.

You go dude. Fight the power. Anarchy for life. :rolleyes:

Now, without resorting to vague generalizations, would you explain exactly what your complaint about Netflix is about? You pay a monthly fee and in return you have unlimited access to viewing their content. So what's the issue?

milo
May 13, 2013, 01:33 PM
if I'm paying for something I want a physical copy...

So I guess you never would rent a car since you're paying but they don't let you keep the car? And "play on anything" - what device would you want to play Netflix streaming from that you can't currently? It's hard to imagine a service that's as universally supported as Netflix.

Basically you're asking for unlimited content at Netflix's "rental" pricing, and for them to let you have a copy of the content and just trust you to delete it after you're done watching it instead of keeping it forever.

Not that there would be any point in them trying to please a customer like that anyway since with that point of view you're probably not paying anything and pirating most of your content anyway.

ArmCortexA8
May 14, 2013, 05:49 AM
You go dude. Fight the power. Anarchy for life. :rolleyes:

Now, without resorting to vague generalizations, would you explain exactly what your complaint about Netflix is about? You pay a monthly fee and in return you have unlimited access to viewing their content. So what's the issue?

The issue is if Im paying for movies / music I want physical copies without DRM / draconian restrictions where I can play for what I pay anywhere I wish on any device. I don't agree with streaming because Im effectively paying for access via my download quote to access their service which I am charged. I only pay for something where I get a tangible copy in return.

ArmCortexA8
May 14, 2013, 06:04 AM
So I guess you never would rent a car since you're paying but they don't let you keep the car? And "play on anything" - what device would you want to play Netflix streaming from that you can't currently? It's hard to imagine a service that's as universally supported as Netflix.

Basically you're asking for unlimited content at Netflix's "rental" pricing, and for them to let you have a copy of the content and just trust you to delete it after you're done watching it instead of keeping it forever.

Not that there would be any point in them trying to please a customer like that anyway since with that point of view you're probably not paying anything and pirating most of your content anyway.

I am only referring to Movies / Music services. I don't want DRM / special player software (DRM laced), and will only only tangible copies of movies / music (either digital non DRM or DVD disc or BD disc), not only streamed. I am not going to subsidise the "industry" on top of what I pay for to pay for a streaming service on top of my internet quota - no thanks. If I want rentals I go to my local video store and hire BD movies - again physical copies - no restrictions.

Use the correct term "copy" not "pirate". If someone copies something the original copy still exists, you are not taking it away from circulation - might pay for you to read the true origins of copyright to learn the industry lies that most people believe - http://questioncopyright.org/promise

Excerpt "They have managed to substitute the loaded terms "piracy" and "theft" for the more accurate "copying" as if there were no difference between stealing your bicycle (now you have no bicycle) and copying your song (now we both have it). Most importantly, industry propaganda has made it a commonplace belief that copyright is how most creators earn a living that without copyright, the engines of intellectual production would grind to a halt, and artists would have neither means nor motivation to produce new works."

Excerpt 2 "None of this will happen, however, if the industry has its way. For three centuries, the publishing industry has been working very hard to obscure copyright's true origins, and to promote the myth that it was invented by writers and artists. Even today, they continue to campaign for ever stronger laws against sharing, for international treaties that compel all nations to conform to the copyright policies of the strictest, and most of all to make sure the public never asks exactly who this system is meant to help."

Excerpt 3 "To read the true history of copyright is to understand just how completely this reaction plays into the industry's hands. The record companies don't really care whether they win or lose these lawsuits. In the long run, they don't even expect to eliminate file sharing. What they're fighting for is much bigger. They're fighting to maintain a state of mind, an attitude toward creative work that says someone ought to own products of the mind, and control who can copy them. And by positioning the issue as a contest between the Beleaguered Artist, who supposedly needs copyright to pay the rent, and The Unthinking Masses, who would rather copy a song or a story off the Internet than pay a fair price, the industry has been astonishingly successful."

Excerpt 4 "Yet a close look at history shows that copyright has never been a major factor in allowing creativity to flourish. Copyright is an outgrowth of the privatization of government censorship in sixteenth-century England. There was no uprising of authors suddenly demanding the right to prevent other people from copying their works; far from viewing copying as theft, authors generally regarded it as flattery. The bulk of creative work has always depended, then and now, on a diversity of funding sources: commissions, teaching jobs, grants or stipends, patronage, etc. The introduction of copyright did not change this situation. What it did was allow a particular business model mass pressings with centralized distribution to make a few lucky works available to a wider audience, at considerable profit to the distributors."

Now stop believing the "industry" lies and repeating their corrupt info to line their own pockets via other peoples creations.

adnbek
May 14, 2013, 06:47 AM
The issue is if Im paying for movies / music I want physical copies without DRM / draconian restrictions where I can play for what I pay anywhere I wish on any device. I don't agree with streaming because Im effectively paying for access via my download quote to access their service which I am charged. I only pay for something where I get a tangible copy in return.

Blame your ISP for the download quota. If you had no quota, would that change your view? And since you'd rather pay to own, can I suppose you buy video and music on iTunes then? If not, the discussion is not about owning vs. renting but rather digital vs. physical which is a whole different issue.

There are a lot of things we pay for which we don't own. Electricity, phone service, internet. Unless you plan on buying a web server with a direct connection to the internet backbone, build a powerplant in your backyard (although solar panels ain't a bad idea if you own a home :P), and start your own cellular network, it's inevitable that we pay for certain things we don't get to own.

That's the nature of service-based industries. And economies are leaning more and more in that direction as traditional sources of revenue (sales to own) dry up. I don't necessarily agree with this trend in all circumstances, but in Netflix's case... You pay the price of 1 DVD to have unlimited access to all their content. I call that a bargain.

Blame the backwards ISPs for their artificially-set download quotas though. Don't forget that those same ISPs are part of media conglomerates that compete with Netflix and don't want it to succeed to begin with, hence in part why they impose quotas to begin with. The last thing they want you to do is disconnect your cable TV or stop buying movies.

Irishman
May 14, 2013, 07:12 AM

Are you kidding? What content do they not have that you want?

milo
May 14, 2013, 09:32 AM
If I want rentals...

Rentals are exactly what Netflix does, so if you're not interested in rentals, you're not interested in Netflix, period. All the rest about DRM, "overpriced", "quotas", whatever is just you blathering because you like to hear yourself blather.

Netflix is a great service for a great price, if it doesn't interest you that's your business but frankly nobody cares about your rants that have nothing to do with it.

While I'm a big fan of their streaming, and they do have lots of good content, there's still a ton of stuff they're missing compared to their discs by mail service. With the discs you can request virtually anything that exists on dvd or bluray. Streaming has a lot of stuff but it's nowhere close to that selection.

adnbek
May 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
Use the correct term "copy" not "pirate". If someone copies something the original copy still exists, .

The revenue from that copy doesn't and THAT is what you're stealing. Unless you don't believe people should earn compensation for their work, in which case you should call your employer and ask that you work for free from now on.

ArmCortexA8
May 15, 2013, 04:30 AM
Blame your ISP for the download quota. If you had no quota, would that change your view? And since you'd rather pay to own, can I suppose you buy video and music on iTunes then? If not, the discussion is not about owning vs. renting but rather digital vs. physical which is a whole different issue..........

If I had not quota, I would not change my view because I refuse to support ANY DRM measures or methods trying to control what I do with moves / music I purchase, no matter the method. I would only change my view with no quota if all draconian DRM measures were removed completely. I don't believe in paying for something where I don't get something tangible in return.

ArmCortexA8
May 15, 2013, 05:01 AM
The revenue from that copy doesn't and THAT is what you're stealing. Unless you don't believe people should earn compensation for their work, in which case you should call your employer and ask that you work for free from now on.

Read my previous post here about the corrupt system: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17265560&postcount=38

milo
May 15, 2013, 09:28 AM
We get it already, you want to pay the low rental prices and then own a copy of the content. Nobody cares. And there's no reason for Netflix to try and pander to deadbeats.

adnbek
May 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
If I had not quota, I would not change my view because I refuse to support ANY DRM measures or methods trying to control what I do with moves / music I purchase, no matter the method. I would only change my view with no quota if all draconian DRM measures were removed completely. I don't believe in paying for something where I don't get something tangible in return.

Well you can't expect to own the entire library of hundreds of movies and tv shows offered on netflix for only 8.99, right? Perhaps if you contact them, suggest that you pay them a one-time fee of a few tens of thousands of dollars, maybe they'll be nice and let you download their content. :D

----------

Read my previous post here about the corrupt system: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17265560&postcount=38

I'm gonna ignore that link because I believe one should be compensated for one's work and anything that contradicts that principle goes against my own principles. While I'm sure there may be corruption in some cases, what you're suggesting is that copying and theft are never synonymous and that is incorrect. And with your line of thinking, you're justifying it in ALL cases regardless of whether it's corrupt or not and that I cannot agree with.

ArmCortexA8
May 16, 2013, 01:54 AM
I'm gonna ignore that link because I believe one should be compensated for one's work and anything that contradicts that principle goes against my own principles. While I'm sure there may be corruption in some cases, what you're suggesting is that copying and theft are never synonymous and that is incorrect. And with your line of thinking, you're justifying it in ALL cases regardless of whether it's corrupt or not and that I cannot agree with.

Proof you follow the industry lies, because your belief is based on the brainwashing of the industry which is trying to retain a state of mind, despite going against the original design of copyright - over 300 years ago. If you have a CD and copy a CD you have to copies, the original is not lost. Ignorance means you fail to understand the truth, and your principles are based on the B.S. of the big music / movie companies - talk about a slanted and biased view. Well if you wish to follow the sheep, you will go to slaughter eventually. I refuse to follow the industry.

Read "To read the true history of copyright is to understand just how completely this reaction plays into the industry's hands. The record companies don't really care whether they win or lose these lawsuits. In the long run, they don't even expect to eliminate file sharing. What they're fighting for is much bigger. They're fighting to maintain a state of mind, an attitude toward creative work that says someone ought to own products of the mind, and control who can copy them.

And by positioning the issue as a contest between the Beleaguered Artist, who supposedly needs copyright to pay the rent, and The Unthinking Masses, who would rather copy a song or a story off the Internet than pay a fair price, the industry has been astonishingly successful. They have managed to substitute the loaded terms "piracy" and "theft" for the more accurate "copying" — as if there were no difference between stealing your bicycle (now you have no bicycle) and copying your song (now we both have it). Most importantly, industry propaganda has made it a commonplace belief that copyright is how most creators earn a living — that without copyright, the engines of intellectual production would grind to a halt, and artists would have neither means nor motivation to produce new works."

Comeagain?
May 16, 2013, 02:18 AM
Netflix isn't selling you anything. They are renting out the media to their customers. Just like if you were to rent a movie at a Blockbuster. And their "draconian" (an annoyingly inaccurate adjective, IMO) methods of control are for their own good. Netflix pays for content for the purpose of streaming to the end user, not providing the user with the media. Allowing you to keep what you've rented from them would be breaking their contracts with providers.

Besides, if they are so angering to you, then fine. Don't pay. That'll show 'em. but you don't need to come here and argue about something that has almost no relevance to them providing new features.

milo
May 16, 2013, 08:48 AM
This is a thread about Netflix, not a personal soapbox for whiny off topic rants.

adnbek
May 17, 2013, 06:54 AM
Proof you follow the industry lies, because your belief is based on the brainwashing of the industry which is trying to retain a state of mind, despite going against the original design of copyright - over 300 years ago. If you have a CD and copy a CD you have to copies, the original is not lost. Ignorance means you fail to understand the truth, and your principles are based on the B.S. of the big music / movie companies - talk about a slanted and biased view. Well if you wish to follow the sheep, you will go to slaughter eventually. I refuse to follow the industry.

Brainwashing huh? I love how pirates always justify their thievery with the whole "copying doesn't take away the original" argument. So besides music and videos, I suppose you also steal apps, even those NOT produced by major developing studios.

Taking away revenue from the content creator =/ stealing. Got it. :rolleyes:

link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17194272#post17194272)

I thought you didn't mind paying for content if you can own it and if it's DRM-free, yet you admit stealing music instead of buying it on iTunes. Basically, you complain about Netflix's "rental" model simply as an excuse. When given the choice of a DRM-free, purchase-to-own model like you had been asking for instead, you still refuse to pay.

You sir have lost all credibility and respect in my view.

ArmCortexA8
May 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
Brainwashing huh? I love how pirates always justify their thievery with the whole "copying doesn't take away the original" argument. So besides music and videos, I suppose you also steal apps, even those NOT produced by major developing studios.

Taking away revenue from the content creator =/ stealing. Got it. :rolleyes:

link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17194272#post17194272)

I thought you didn't mind paying for content if you can own it and if it's DRM-free, yet you admit stealing music instead of buying it on iTunes. Basically, you complain about Netflix's "rental" model simply as an excuse. When given the choice of a DRM-free, purchase-to-own model like you had been asking for instead, you still refuse to pay.

You sir have lost all credibility and respect in my view.

Yes brainwashing - read: "They have managed to substitute the loaded terms "piracy" and "theft" for the more accurate "copying" as if there were no difference between stealing your bicycle (now you have no bicycle) and copying your song (now we both have it). Most importantly, industry propaganda has made it a commonplace belief that copyright is how most creators earn a living that without copyright, the engines of intellectual production would grind to a halt, and artists would have neither means nor motivation to produce new works."

The "industry" goes against the original design of copyright, in order to profiteer by dubious means.

Internaut
May 18, 2013, 09:44 AM

The temptation is there, but I try to keep to one episode per night. I like Netflix, but I'm presently keeping it (mostly) held back for British TV's summer doldrums.

adnbek
May 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
Yes brainwashing - read: "They have managed to substitute the loaded terms "piracy" and "theft" for the more accurate "copying" — as if there were no difference between stealing your bicycle (now you have no bicycle) and copying your song (now we both have it). Most importantly, industry propaganda has made it a commonplace belief that copyright is how most creators earn a living — that without copyright, the engines of intellectual production would grind to a halt, and artists would have neither means nor motivation to produce new works."

The "industry" goes against the original design of copyright, in order to profiteer by dubious means.

What a surprise. Another copy-pasted reply by the one who's supposedly NOT brainwashed. :rolleyes:

ArmCortexA8
May 19, 2013, 08:20 AM
What a surprise. Another copy-pasted reply by the one who's supposedly NOT brainwashed. :rolleyes:

If you actually took time to read the whole article and the history of copyright and how it was designed to be free and open, before the Stationers of England (aka modern day MPAA) started used the system to pillage and plunder and control creative works for profit, you may realise (hopefully with common sense) that the whole industry is operating on a massive lie to keep the current state of mind, so all the gullible don't question the system. They are afraid of losing control of distribution, and another reason why they hate BitTorrent etc because their are no overheads, no distribution costs etc.

milo
May 20, 2013, 09:15 AM
OK guys, time to stop feeding the troll.

I had been avoiding updating the NF app because of no way to shut off automatically going to the next episode. But unfortunately, it looks like they changed it on the server side so earlier versions do it too. Looks like another one star review for your app NF, now fix it.

peteullo
May 22, 2013, 04:41 PM

Are YOU kidding? How about new releases? It takes almost a year from when a movie is released to show up on Netflix!

Irishman
May 22, 2013, 09:14 PM
Are YOU kidding? How about new releases? It takes almost a year from when a movie is released to show up on Netflix!

You must only stream. Only that can explain why you're having such trouble getting new releases in a timely fashion.

We have the 2 Blu-ray subscription, too.

peteullo
May 23, 2013, 08:07 AM
You must only stream. Only that can explain why you're having such trouble getting new releases in a timely fashion.

We have the 2 Blu-ray subscription, too.

We were talking about Netflix for iOS of course :D

milo
May 23, 2013, 09:30 AM

Depends on the title, some take a long time or aren't on there at all, others are fairly quick. But it's a stretch to say that streaming has no good content. And does anyone else offer a better a better selection of "all you can eat" streaming content? From what I've seen the others have even less.

hexonxonx
May 23, 2013, 09:35 AM
I just cancelled my service because I just don't use it. I have an Android tablet and was excited to try Netflix again thinking it would be cool to use it on my tablet. Used it a lot during the free month, second month used it once and now none during the third month. Just cancelled once again. I think this was the third time because like the other times, I just don't use it and prefer to buy my TV shows and movies in iTunes.

I never once watched on my computer and I have an ATV2 but don't have a TV to use it with yet, maybe next tax season. I've had the ATV2 for 1.5 years and not been able to ever use it.

Goodandbad
May 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
I love the auto play except when the Netflix keeps playing when I'm already asleep. I used to just watch one episode and fall asleep to it but now the ipad will continue playing and using my battery life. Can we have an option to turn it off? Or can I revert to an old update?

milo
May 30, 2013, 09:00 AM
An old version probably won't help, they did something on the server side so that earlier versions always autoplay too. They also force updates at some point, after a while older versions give a message saying it's no longer supported and the user has to update.

cphelps
Aug 8, 2013, 08:52 AM
I love the auto play except when the Netflix keeps playing when I'm already asleep. I used to just watch one episode and fall asleep to it but now the ipad will continue playing and using my battery life. Can we have an option to turn it off? Or can I revert to an old update?

I have the same problem. Came up with this solution:

Go to the built in Clock, select Timer at the bottom, then at the top click the Sounds button and select "Stop Playing" at the bottom of the list. Now set the desired time. When the timer goes off it will put the iPad in Lock mode and soon after put to sleep.

jcmeyer5
Aug 16, 2013, 10:40 AM
Does auto-play work for iPhones as well? I am updated, but my iPhone doesn't go to the next episode. iPhone 4S if that matters.

Jim

egoistaxx9
Aug 16, 2013, 10:57 AM
nice, i always liked netflix, i've never seen anything better than the netflix, they just know how to make an app. i'm never leaving netflix.:)

John.B
Aug 16, 2013, 11:25 AM
I have the same problem. Came up with this solution:

Go to the built in Clock, select Timer at the bottom, then at the top click the Sounds button and select "Stop Playing" at the bottom of the list. Now set the desired time. When the timer goes off it will put the iPad in Lock mode and soon after put to sleep.

Just saw this. Great find, works as expected. :cool:

lcom38
Sep 23, 2013, 05:29 AM
Does anyone know how to turn off the autoplay for Netflix on an ipad mini.
I rang Netflix but they say that it is an apple problem and not a netflix problem.

MythicFrost
Sep 23, 2013, 07:07 AM
Wish they would allow it to be downloaded in the Australian store. That way I can cheat ;)

milo
Sep 23, 2013, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know how to turn off the autoplay for Netflix on an ipad mini.
I rang Netflix but they say that it is an apple problem and not a netflix problem.

As far as I know, can't turn it off. And it's ridiculous for them to blame Apple, it's their app and it's a feature that wasn't there until they added it. Whoever you talked to is either just completely clueless or just passing the buck.

Honestly I can't believe they still haven't updated to a version that allows turning that off, it's terrible for watching as you go to sleep and it often cuts of the ends of shows or even the beginning of the next episode.

jcmeyer5
Jan 28, 2014, 08:48 AM
So I am on the lastest version of the app... but on my 4S, it does NOT auto-play. Is there a setting to enable it?