PDA

View Full Version : One iOS feature that I wish Android had

nyc999
May 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
Screen notifications...I know there are android apps out there that can do so, but I haven't been able to find an app that would display useful information that I am looking for.

For example when I get an email, I would like a pop up screen notification that describes who the email is from and what the subject is...and I would also like to be able to configure how long the notification stays on the screen. Is there an app out there that can do so?

mattopotamus
May 9, 2013, 02:00 PM
Screen notifications...I know there are android apps out there that can do so, but I haven't been able to find an app that would display useful information that I am looking for.

For example when I get an email, I would like a pop up screen notification that describes who the email is from and what the subject is...and I would also like to be able to configure how long the notification stays on the screen. Is there an app out there that can do so?

What phone do you have? I think samsung phones do turn on and display a notification in the form of a scroll at the top. I know the nexus displays it the same way, but does not turn the screen on.

nyc999
May 9, 2013, 03:28 PM
What phone do you have? I think samsung phones do turn on and display a notification in the form of a scroll at the top. I know the nexus displays it the same way, but does not turn the screen on.

have the samsung droid charge. i do get a notification in the notification bar, but would like an email pop up noification on the screen like iOS does with info about the subject/sender.

same issue with text messages, but i have found that using Go SMS has solved that problem (gives me a pop up text msg).

Dr McKay
May 9, 2013, 05:46 PM
I wish I could tap the status bar to jump back to the top, faster scrolling in Android lessens the need but its still nice at the bottom of a really long page.

blackhand1001
May 9, 2013, 06:09 PM

There's an app called iPhone notifications in the play store that does exactly that.

torana355
May 9, 2013, 06:19 PM

Yes Lightflow can do just that....

mattopotamus
May 9, 2013, 06:21 PM
have the samsung droid charge. i do get a notification in the notification bar, but would like an email pop up noification on the screen like iOS does with info about the subject/sender.

same issue with text messages, but i have found that using Go SMS has solved that problem (gives me a pop up text msg).

Something I like better with android notification and emails is that I can archive an email right from the notification menu. If you have 4.2.2 or maybe just jelly bean you just do a "two finger split" and it brings up email options right from the notification menu.
Here is an example

3bs
May 9, 2013, 06:28 PM
Something I like better with android notification and emails is that I can archive an email right from the notification menu. If you have 4.2.2 or maybe just jelly bean you just do a "two finger split" and it brings up email options right from the notification menu.
Here is an example

Wasn't it changed to one finger?

onthecouchagain
May 9, 2013, 06:44 PM

Yes.

3bs
May 9, 2013, 06:47 PM
Yes.

Haven't used my Nexus 4 in a while so I wasn't sure :p

Dr McKay
May 9, 2013, 06:50 PM
Here is an example

Oh Stock Android how I've missed you so, I can't wait for Cyanogenmod to come to my model of S4.

nyc999
May 9, 2013, 06:53 PM
There's an app called iPhone notifications in the play store that does exactly that.

so I tried out that app. but I am still having the same issue where it just displays a generic 'mail notification' pop up. What I am looking for is a little more detailed info such as sender name/subject line...does the paid version do so, or any other app out there for such a purpose?

Assault
May 9, 2013, 07:16 PM
I wish I could tap the status bar to jump back to the top, faster scrolling in Android lessens the need but its still nice at the bottom of a really long page.

Use Boat Browser if you want that feature for both quick scrolling all the way down and all the way up a webpage.

3bs
May 9, 2013, 07:20 PM
so I tried out that app. but I am still having the same issue where it just displays a generic 'mail notification' pop up. What I am looking for is a little more detailed info such as sender name/subject line...does the paid version do so, or any other app out there for such a purpose?

Sorry this doesn't directly answer your question but you can buy it and see for yourself. If it doesn't, you have 15 minutes to click the refund button on the apps page.

blackhand1001
May 9, 2013, 08:24 PM

I found a better one. This one displays the info you want and as an added bonus looks more like stock android so its fits the design better.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nlucas.popupnotificationslite&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ubHVjYXMucG9wdXBub3RpZmljYXRpb25zbGl0ZSJd

TacticalDesire
May 9, 2013, 08:47 PM
The one feature I miss is tap to top. I keep finding myself doing it from time to time on my nexus 4. Especially right after I've used my ipad or ipod.

mattopotamus
May 10, 2013, 05:24 AM

Yes.

did not know this. I have been using two fingers this whole time!

3bs
May 10, 2013, 05:32 AM
did not know this. I have been using two fingers this whole time!

Lol yeah they changed it but I forgot in which version exactly. To minimize it you can swipe down then up.

sk1wbw
May 10, 2013, 06:20 AM
Built in support for app badges. And a proper backup solution, because Android backup sucks.

Sylon
May 10, 2013, 06:31 AM
EDIT: Stupid symbols on the top of the damn screen! What ever happend to Copy, Cut, and Paste? Why do you need stupid symbols that all look similar?

Anyway, the thing I was trying to say was agreeing with TacticalDesire about the "tap to scroll up" feature on iOS. Stupid Android icons.

adnbek
May 10, 2013, 06:52 AM
I saw in a video on YouTube that DICE has postponed this weekend's double XP event due to the server attacks. It also said that some folks have been able to play online, but don't expect not to see some connectivity issues. DICE is also using this outage to implement some software updates to the servers as well, so don't be surprised if you see some changes to gameplay when this is all said and done.

I wonder what they are going to do for those who rented servers before this happened.

Wrong thread?

Sylon
May 10, 2013, 07:07 AM
Wrong thread?

No, well yeah, but the mistake came from the stupid "copy/cut/paste" icons on the top of the screen on my phone. They all look too damn similar and I tapped the wrong one. Second time today that I've done that.

sentinelsx
May 10, 2013, 09:51 AM
i thought that Cyanogenmod wasn't coming to S4.

Not to exynos (i can gaurantee you though that an unofficial CM rom WILL come though to exynos if official doesn't), but the S600 CPU variant will probably see an official port considering it has a much more "open" CPU vendor and shared it with many devices.

Also, be prepared to wait a couple months before the camera is as good as it was on touchwiz ROMs.

3bs
May 10, 2013, 09:57 AM
EDIT: Stupid symbols on the top of the damn screen! What ever happend to Copy, Cut, and Paste? Why do you need stupid symbols that all look similar?

Anyway, the thing I was trying to say was agreeing with TacticalDesire about the "tap to scroll up" feature on iOS. Stupid Android icons.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this either.

unlinked
May 10, 2013, 10:04 AM

Pretty sure that was just the internet rumour mill. They started releasing nightly builds about a week ago.

https://plus.google.com/100275307499530023476/posts/L976oRiPYSi

sentinelsx
May 10, 2013, 10:23 AM

I agree. Just yesterday tried the copy paste thing on my brother's nexus 4. The method is pretty solid. No cursor jumping, word selection went great, but after the selection was done, i remember how i used to stare at the icons on the top when i had my nexus 4 and trying to figure which is copy, cut, and paste?

I still am not sure lol.

Why is it so hard to just write the name or the action instead?

viskon
May 10, 2013, 11:00 AM

+1. The symbols are totally unintuitive. Still confuse me even after an year on my GNex.

unlinked
May 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
I agree. Just yesterday tried the copy paste thing on my brother's nexus 4. The method is pretty solid. No cursor jumping, word selection went great, but after the selection was done, i remember how i used to stare at the icons on the top when i had my nexus 4 and trying to figure which is copy, cut, and paste?

I still am not sure lol.

Why is it so hard to just write the name or the action instead?

Google seems in love with label less icons these days.
If you want to know what one of them is then long press on it (press and hold) or put the phone in landscape.

sentinelsx
May 10, 2013, 11:41 AM
If you want to know what one of them is then long press on it (press and hold) or put the phone in landscape.

Ah did not know the long press thing. Thanks a bunch.

Hopefully Matias Duarte will further refine the UI this year with 4.3.

Will also like if they figure the icon situation so we don't have to go buy icon packs to not be annoyed.

3bs
May 10, 2013, 11:56 AM
Ah did not know the long press thing. Thanks a bunch.

Hopefully Matias Duarte will further refine the UI this year with 4.3.

Will also like if they figure the icon situation so we don't have to go buy icon packs to not be annoyed.

I'll probably still buy icon packs because some of them look great! I'm using Minimal MIUI currently.

Dr McKay
May 10, 2013, 12:29 PM

Not to exynos (i can gaurantee you though that an unofficial CM rom WILL come though to exynos if official doesn't), but the S600 CPU variant will probably see an official port considering it has a much more "open" CPU vendor and shared it with many devices.

Also, be prepared to wait a couple months before the camera is as good as it was on touchwiz ROMs.

That was a rumour, the Canadian S4, and the American T-Mobile S4 already has Cyanogenmod for them. The international S4 is next in line.

walie
May 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

that statement was made by devs who port CM to exynos-based devices, highlighting their frustrating in how samsung is not fully supporting the open-source community for their own chipsets. Qualcomm is much better in this regard, therefore CM is supported for snapdragon devices

probably the number one reason why I favour the snapdragon devices over the exynos version, octa-core crap be damned.

jrswizzle
May 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
Here is an example

Is that only from the stock email app or gmail app?

Is it a swipe left? I've never tried this on my N4.....is there the option to delete instead of archive?

mattopotamus
May 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
Is that only from the stock email app or gmail app?

Is it a swipe left? I've never tried this on my N4.....is there the option to delete instead of archive?

I am using the gmail app. It only gives you the option to archive or reply to the message. I archive them all so it works out perfect for me. I guess they have changed it so you can long press and the menu will drop down like in my picture. I still think the two finger split is easier though.

Tinmania
May 10, 2013, 03:35 PM
Nice tip. Could have used that a few months ago but I think by now I have it engrained in my brain.... well "usually" ;).

Michael

demisb
May 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
I am using the gmail app. It only gives you the option to archive or reply to the message. I archive them all so it works out perfect for me. I guess they have changed it so you can long press and the menu will drop down like in my picture. I still think the two finger split is easier though.

There is an option in Gmail that allows you to delete with a swipe in the notification bar :)

3bs
May 10, 2013, 04:03 PM

Or a one finger spilt which is what they replaced the two finger split with. Did you forget about that already? :p

Tinmania
May 10, 2013, 04:42 PM
There is an option in Gmail that allows you to delete with a swipe in the notification bar :)

Where is that option? The only option I see is for the conversation list, which is in the app itself.

Michael

tbayrgs
May 10, 2013, 05:36 PM

Where is that option? The only option I see is for the conversation list, which is in the app itself.

Michael

Yeah, I'd love this option as well but couldn't find it in the settings.

Also want to thank you Michael for your instructions in the email client thread on how to set up Gmail for all of your email accounts--working like a dream (except for inability to send from one of the alternate accounts on my iPad--a limitation of the email app in iOS I suspect). So nice to dump the standard email app.

Tinmania
May 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
Also want to thank you Michael for your instructions in the email client thread on how to set up Gmail for all of your email accounts--working like a dream (except for inability to send from one of the alternate accounts on my iPad--a limitation of the email app in iOS I suspect). So nice to dump the standard email app.

Glad it helped. If you are using the stock email app on the iPad then it actually can be setup to send-as from gmail. It's not a straightforward process but it works. (You can start by going to m.google.com/sync/settings and enable send-as for your iPad.)

Obviously the iOS gmail app will do it too.

Michael

tbayrgs
May 10, 2013, 07:04 PM
Glad it helped. If you are using the stock email app on the iPad then it actually can be setup to send-as from gmail. It's not a straightforward process but it works. (You can start by going to m.google.com/sync/settings and enable send-as for your iPad.)

Obviously the iOS gmail app will do it too.

Michael

I just also set up my other Yahoo account on the iPad. It's obviously empty but can be set up as the default send from account.

Tinmania
May 10, 2013, 07:12 PM
I just also set up my other Yahoo account on the iPad. It's obviously empty but can be set up as the default send from account.
Yes that will do it too. You can also add additional SMTP servers to an existing mail account so you don't have inboxes you won't use cluttering up the Mail app.

Michael

demisb
May 11, 2013, 02:42 AM

Michael

Hmm, this must be a 4.2.2 feature then, because I did have that option on my Nexus 4.
Don't see it on my HTC One either, sorry guys :o

mattopotamus
May 11, 2013, 08:23 AM
Or a one finger spilt which is what they replaced the two finger split with. Did you forget about that already? :p

How do you do a one finger split. That doesn't even make sense =/