Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jt2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2013
San Francisco
I just came across this on Kickstarter and thought I'd share it here. The Aluminum Case looks pretty cool, but their packaging is the part that is unique. I've never seen a package that lets you dock the phone. Their case is called Atrio. Anybody here have any experience with Kickstarter projects?
http://kck.st/12VA1YZ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 3.00.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 3.00.43 PM.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 123

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
With a new iPhone on the way, I wonder if it is wise to back a project that is a good few months from shipping to early adopters. It could still be the same design or apple could change something so minor making this number obsolete.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I don't see any reason why this case wouldn't kill reception like at least a dozen similar aluminum cases. The only idea they have is the glass back. they don't mention the Faraday cage effect of surrounding the antenna with metal. The only successful aluminum cases I've run into after years of interest and study of aluminum cases, are cases that incorporate polymer or plastic parts that allow a signal to reach the antenna. There would have to be a great deal of proof presented and verified in reviews that this case is somehow an exception to this rule for me to buy one.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Probably because the signal is transmitted out the glass back of the phone and not the bumper

The glass back contains antennas for Bluetooth and GPS. The perimeter band has antennas for cell and wifi. I believe these antennas are duplicated so that the death grip doesn't occur but believe me an uninterrupted perimeter metal band will loose probably two bars of reception. In weak areas you will have dropped calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.