PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 PSU compatibility

jpcoelho
May 9, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hello!

does anyone now if a PSU from a 17 inch 1.8GHz G5 iMac will fit a 20 inch 1.8GHz G5 iMac?
I've seen this add (http://shop.mac-resource.com/1-888-MAC-RESOURCE/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4663), but am unsure if they are compatible...

Thanks in advance!

666sheep
May 10, 2013, 01:06 AM
Yes, it's compatible with one downside: plug socket in 17" PSU does not line-up with hole in 20" rear cover. You'd need to use it without rear cover or cut a hole in right place.

jpcoelho
May 10, 2013, 04:13 AM
Yes, it's compatible with one downside: plug socket in 17" PSU does not line-up with hole in 20" rear cover. You'd need to use it without rear cover or cut a hole in right place.

thanks for the feedback! that's unfortunate... considering that fact, I don't think it's really fair that they sell the same PSU stating that it fits both models, given that you would have to mod the case to make it work...

Cheers!

jpcoelho
May 10, 2013, 05:13 AM
I have been checking online images for both PSU, and I've confirmed the different positions of the power socket... my question is, would it be possible to change the outer case of the 17 to the 20 inch PSU, so that the socket does align? or is soldered?

rabidz7
May 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
I have been checking online images for both PSU, and I've confirmed the different positions of the power socket... my question is, would it be possible to change the outer case of the 17 to the 20 inch PSU, so that the socket does align? or is soldered?

It may be, but you would need to have the 20" cover around.
It is not soldered.
But the power contacts are.
So probably impossible.

jpcoelho
May 10, 2013, 09:08 AM
It may be, but you would need to have the 20" cover around.
It is not soldered.
But the power contacts are.
So probably impossible.

that's exactly it, i have a 17 inch G5 with a dead logic board and a 20 inch with a dead PSU, and wanted to know if would be possible to have a working machine out of the two...