PDA

View Full Version : Panther and WPA(2)

mccjim12
May 9, 2013, 09:03 PM
I have a question about Panther and its ability to work with WPA/WPA2 encrypted networks.

Several months ago after replacing a bad logic board and installing a new HD in my PowerBook G4 I used the restore disks and brought it back to its factory install of 10.3.4. I did this because I did not have a Leopard disk at the time.

Before the logic board/HD issues I was running Leopard, which I first upgraded to in March 2011.

Long way around the barn, when the 10.3.4 install was complete I attempted to connect to my home network which to the best of my knowledge had WPA2 security. I was picking the network up fine but upon entering my password I was greeted with the 'the wireless network does not support this encrytion method' message.

I did some digging and found that Panther should have no problem with WPA2 and this made sense to me because I used Panther with the same router and encryption for over 2 years. Only after the re-install did it give me any problem.

This is not a problem now as I've upgraded the machine back to Leopard. I'm merely curious as to why WPA2 would not have been a problem before but it was after a reinstall. Just prior to upgrading to Leopard the first time I was running 10.3.9. Would this have made a difference as compared to 10.3.4?

Thanks much!

Intell
May 9, 2013, 09:05 PM
Panther only supports WPA and WPA2 if it is running 10.3.9.

mccjim12
May 9, 2013, 09:43 PM
Well, that was easy. :) Thanks so much.