Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just tried to install the new Thunderbolt update from the mac app store and my macbook air restarts but then when it gets to the white screen with the grey progress bar it just goes black and restarts and then you can see the update back in app store again! does anyone know whats going on here?

Jake

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
that worked! thank you !

Ah yeah, you should always connect it to the power, it's a safety measure, if your machine would run out of juice while updating you would likely end up with a non bootable Air, reason, this updates firmware, firmware is essential for any mac too work correctly.

I advise you and others to never update a Mac without a battery to update firmware while there is a bigger chance of power cuts like nearby thunderstorms.
The best way is to have it connected to a UPS while updating firmware.(Non battery powered Macs).
And on battery powered devices be sure the battery is full before updating firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.