PDA

View Full Version : Typing on my brand new 15 inch pb!!!

themacman
Oct 28, 2005, 08:34 PM
Just went down to the apple store today to pick up my 15'' pb. I love it its so amazing. The new screens are really good, and it is so much faster then my old imac. These computers are amazing.

katie ta achoo
Oct 28, 2005, 08:38 PM
Just went down to the apple store today to pick up my 15'' pb. I love it its so amazing. The new screens are really good, and it is so much faster then my old imac. These computers are amazing.

Heck yea!

PBs are the most awesome of all awesome computers, hand down!

Now, you can get the GREATEST accessory... a PowerMac G5! :)

the 15" can drive a 30" screen now, right?
Get one of those! :)

broncoball
Oct 28, 2005, 11:59 PM

Congrats on the new pb. im gunna go down to the apple store tommarrow and get either the 12 or the 15 still undecided but have fun with the new machine.

slooksterPSV
Oct 29, 2005, 12:15 AM
WAY TO GO!!! Don't you love new computers. Got mine a week ago. I've amazed people on this forum by playing Doom 3 Demo on this beautiful machine. Good luck with it, and if you do Graphics or Photos or that, get the 30". OMG those things are just, WOW

Deepdale
Oct 29, 2005, 12:40 AM
The new screens are really good, and it is so much faster then my old imac. These computers are amazing.

I'm glad the love affair with your new 15" PowerBook is in full bloom. When you mention the screens, are you only referring to the increased resolution on the latest models versus the prior ones? Is there a difference in screen brightness as well? Thanks.

themacman
Oct 29, 2005, 08:59 AM
i only have one problem i ran xbench for the first time and it said i got like a 40 and my imac got a 68????!!!???

kretzy
Oct 29, 2005, 09:07 AM
Congrats!!!! Make sure you show it off to as many people as you can so you can watch them stare at it in awe. hehehe ;) (but don't let them touch it! - it's yours, your own, your precious).

The xbench results are interesting, not sure how to explain those.

maverick808
Oct 29, 2005, 09:53 AM
People on the official apple discussions powerbook forums are saying the 15" screen has problems. Apparently you can see thin horizontal lines between each row of pixels. Can you verify if yours is the same? Thanks.

themacman
Oct 29, 2005, 09:57 AM
People on the official apple discussions powerbook forums are saying the 15" screen has problems. Apparently you can see thin horizontal lines between each row of pixels. Can you verify if yours is the same? Thanks.
nope i dont see that but if it starts ill be shure to let you know.

themacman
Oct 29, 2005, 10:12 AM
i only have 512mb of ram, do you think tahts why my xbench score is so low.

G5Unit
Oct 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
Cool. I am posting this from my Mom's NEW 17inch iMac!

maverick808
Oct 29, 2005, 10:15 AM
I have a 1.5GHz PowerBook. I'd STRONGLY recommend you upgrade to at least 1GB. 512MB is simply not enough. You'll notice a massive improvement if you get another 512MB.

I find the best place to buy is from crucial.com. They are cheap, deliver fast and if there are problems they are good at giving refunds. Memory is so cheap now you might even consider buying a 1GB chip to bring your total to 1.5GB.

themacman
Oct 29, 2005, 10:20 AM
I have a 1.5GHz PowerBook. I'd STRONGLY recommend you upgrade to at least 1GB. 512MB is simply not enough. You'll notice a massive improvement if you get another 512MB.

I find the best place to buy is from crucial.com. They are cheap, deliver fast and if there are problems they are good at giving refunds. Memory is so cheap now you might even consider buying a 1GB chip to bring your total to 1.5GB.
i have an apple gift card so i think im going to buy some ram from them. i just bought applecare and would like to keep my waranty

maverick808
Oct 29, 2005, 10:26 AM
i have an apple gift card so i think im going to buy some ram from them. i just bought applecare and would like to keep my waranty

It's up to you but I think Apple really charge too much for the RAM. Note that you do not void your warranty by installing RAM by yourself. It's a user-installable part and if you check the manual you got with you PowerBook it tells you this and also gives you a step-by-step guide on how to install RAM.

Personally, I would keep the gift card to buy something better and get the cheap RAM elsewhere.

BWhaler
Oct 29, 2005, 09:42 PM
Congratulations.

puckhead193
Oct 29, 2005, 11:26 PM
i'm posting this from my old rev c powerbook :rolleyes:
Have fun with it, its a sexy computer....

generik
Oct 29, 2005, 11:39 PM

By the way does it has that new iPod smell? :D

slooksterPSV
Oct 29, 2005, 11:41 PM
The "New Computer" smell, its like the "New Car" smell, but better sometimes. My iBook smells soo good still =P. Lol

generik

Can post a link to that forum?

I might want to check when mine arrives in 3 days :(

generik
The "New Computer" smell, its like the "New Car" smell, but better sometimes. My iBook smells soo good still =P. Lol

I wish Apple sells the smell in a can sometimes :D

slooksterPSV
Be sure to check your battery part # with the Apple Recall list just to be safe.

maverick808
Oct 30, 2005, 04:26 AM
Can post a link to that forum?

I might want to check when mine arrives in 3 days :(

It's not looking good. Looks like it's just a crappy display they are using and all the new 15" PowerBooks have these lines. I've read the new 17" screen is worse than the previous one too. It's brighter but has dim edges and an awful viewing angle.

I love Apple products but they really seem to be dropping the ball over the place at the moment. Initial Tiger release was buggy as hell, new iPods are scratching and now even the pro line is experiencing quality standards worse than you'd see on a Dell. What has happened to Apple quality control? Please Apple, get a grip.

Here's the link to the one in the Apple forum...
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@710.vRHxaGiYSrs.1@.68bd0112

A topic in MacNN forums too...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=274170

BWhaler
Oct 30, 2005, 06:12 AM
It's not looking good. Looks like it's just a crappy display they are using and all the new 15" PowerBooks have these lines. I've read the new 17" screen is worse than the previous one too. It's brighter but has dim edges and an awful viewing angle.

I love Apple products but they really seem to be dropping the ball over the place at the moment. Initial Tiger release was buggy as hell, new iPods are scratching and now even the pro line is experiencing quality standards worse than you'd see on a Dell. What has happened to Apple quality control? Please Apple, get a grip.

I could not agree more.

Apple really needs to get their act together. (And I _hate_ being so negative about them. But this is getting pathetic. I, unfortunately, am a new owner of one of the defective 17" PB. I hope 10.4.3 fixes the issues, or this sucker is going back.)

cyberone
Oct 30, 2005, 06:42 AM
the new PB's are Rev E - so you mean one needs Rev E of Rev E?...

themacman
Oct 30, 2005, 07:33 AM
sorry dont think so, but it has the new pm smell. Ik what smell you are talking about, and btw this is comptley random but i was at JFK airport and it smells exactly like an apple store, i think they use the same type of wall. Just something to point oiut.

themacman
Oct 30, 2005, 07:35 AM

i guess i got lucky my display is working perfectly. No lines here.
:p

TheIguana
Oct 30, 2005, 11:43 PM

This is all and dandy but where are some bloody pictures of these lines? I don't know what is worse, the supposed lines or people not posting pictures of them!

Iggy :)

pdpfilms
Oct 31, 2005, 02:24 AM
Oh poop. I was 100% set on purchasing a 15", but now i'm VERY hesitant. Is this issue significant enough for apple to address soon?

generik
Oct 31, 2005, 03:44 AM
Oh poop. I was 100% set on purchasing a 15", but now i'm VERY hesitant. Is this issue significant enough for apple to address soon?

Why the **** is Steve so bloody greedy :mad:

nomad01
Oct 31, 2005, 03:54 AM
Oh poop. I was 100% set on purchasing a 15", but now i'm VERY hesitant.

Same here. I ordered a refurb Powerbook (last rev) from Apple and it came with a load of problems. This is the second dud I've bought from the refurb store so I just thought I'll get a new one and save any more hassle... now I read this! :(

generik
Oct 31, 2005, 04:03 AM
Same here. I ordered a refurb Powerbook (last rev) from Apple and it came with a load of problems. This is the second dud I've bought from the refurb store so I just thought I'll get a new one and save any more hassle... now I read this! :(

My PB is coming on wednesday... perhaps it will be the LAST EVER apple product I will buy.

Edit: I'm bloody sick of their obscene profiteering. Charge premium, fine, at least deliver, and not deliver shoddy products like these. If you want to market to fool go ahead, but while a sucker is born each day, I'm pretty sure Apple will go down with quite a lot of consumer backlash if they keep at it.

MacNoobie
Oct 31, 2005, 05:37 AM
Blah and I just blew 6k on a new Canon 1D Mark II N setup.

Wombert
Oct 31, 2005, 07:11 AM
I'm sitting here in the Gravis store in Munich, Germany and looking at a brand new 15in PB. It does not have the lines. I even created some test images in Photoshop and looked closely to verify this. All pixels have the same spacing, no matter whether the image is red, green or blue. It does look a _bit_ like there are stripes, but that's not really the case. Definitely no black lines in between pixel rows. I guess this is just the way the LCD panel is built. If you look closely, you can see something that looks a bit like stripes, but it definitely isn't annoying or anything. My first posting here by the way. Will buy a 15in PB soon ;)

-edit-

Just saw the screen flicker. b00000h!

Abstract
Oct 31, 2005, 07:34 AM
I can't believe Apple made a screen that flickers. Ridiculous.

Hey Apple, here's a crazy method to QA all new products BEFORE you ship them out: Use them for a day. Oh man, that's just crazy! I should stop talking this crazy before someone locks me up!!

Wombert
Oct 31, 2005, 09:22 AM
Another thing wrt "lines" in the 15" display: As I said, there's no spacing or black lines between pixel rows. However, it seems like the translucency of the different pixels in a row is slightly uneven. It really is only noticeable if you look closely; in fact I only saw it because I was specifically looking for this problem. I believe this has to do with the panel manufacturing process. Some people might feel there are lines or something, but actually there aren't any. Despite that, I definitely can recommend this display; it's awesome. Viewing angle is very nice, too, everything's looking bright and crisp. Gotta love that much screen estate on such a beautiful laptop ;)

nomad01
Oct 31, 2005, 10:28 AM
I can't believe Apple made a screen that flickers. Ridiculous.

Hey Apple, here's a crazy method to QA all new products BEFORE you ship them out: Use them for a day. Oh man, that's just crazy! I should stop talking this crazy before someone locks me up!!

I know... I dread ordering a new PB and having problems. In the last couple of months I've returned a Powermac and refurb Powerbook. <sob>

Just trying to decide if I should give another refurb Powerbook a whirl or just plump for the new PB. :confused:

Deepdale
Nov 1, 2005, 01:47 AM
Oh poop. I was 100% set on purchasing a 15", but now i'm VERY hesitant.

While it is true that the overall percentage of messages dealing with assorted problems is small compared to people with systems that work fine and have no reason to voice a complaint, there sure seems to be a growing chorus of discontent from those who are hesitant to buy and also more concerned about Apple's quality control. The CA powers-that-be need to get a handle on things.

Chrispy
Nov 1, 2005, 03:10 AM

I could not agree more! I had 4 bad powermacs in a row over the summer and I just recently got rid of a new 15" powerbook becuase of backlighting issues :eek: Now my 17" iMac has screen issues with backlight bleeding so that parts of the screen are overly bright... grrr Apple grrrr...

Deepdale
Nov 1, 2005, 03:34 AM
I could not agree more! I had 4 bad powermacs in a row over the summer and I just recently got rid of a new 15" powerbook becuase of backlighting issues :eek: Now my 17" iMac has screen issues with backlight bleeding so that parts of the screen are overly bright... grrr Apple grrrr...

And the drumbeat goes on and on. More posts like those in this thread and there will be a greater chill in the air, and not just limited to seasonal changes.

Chrispy
Nov 1, 2005, 03:43 AM
And the drumbeat goes on and on. More posts like those in this thread and there will be a greater chill in the air, and not just limited to seasonal changes.

Haha I agree... there is a cold chill to the air. I also agree with your prior post that Apple needs to take a good look at quality control... it seems to be slipping.

Deepdale
Nov 1, 2005, 04:02 AM
Haha I agree... there is a cold chill to the air. I also agree with your prior post that Apple needs to take a good look at quality control... it seems to be slipping.

I have money to spend on new hardware and I wanted to buy for the upcoming holidays, but at this point my confidence may be heading south more rapidly than the workmanship evident in recently introduced Apple products.

generik
Nov 1, 2005, 04:46 AM

Maybe Dell will be our salvation.. hey, Micheal Dell did say he would be very keen to ship OSX on their machines if Steve were willing to license them...

Chrispy
Nov 1, 2005, 04:50 AM
Maybe Dell will be our salvation.. hey, Micheal Dell did say he would be very keen to ship OSX on their machines if Steve were willing to license them...

What is interesting about Dell is when something goes wrong with a Dell it usually takes down the entire computer. When something is wrong with an Apple machine it is usually something annoying like uneven backlighting or a dead pixel... I guess if you have to pick one haha. I just with there were no problems period.

Sic
Nov 1, 2005, 04:54 AM
Blah and I just blew 6k on a new Canon 1D Mark II N setup.

i...hate....you :eek:

Deepdale
Nov 1, 2005, 04:58 AM
What is interesting about Dell is when something goes wrong with a Dell it usually takes down the entire computer. When something is wrong with an Apple machine it is usually something annoying like uneven backlighting or a dead pixel.

Very important distinction. Problems on Dells can be of the Titanic variety ("You are sunk, buddy, and we cannot get you up from the ocean floor"), while Apple related woes are more comparable to a rocky landing on a airliner (you may curse the pilot or weather conditions, but at least you made it home safely).

generik
Nov 1, 2005, 04:58 AM
i...hate....you :eek:

I'll be looking out for the 30D at next year's PMA :D

Or maybe if I'm feeling loaded the 5D is just as nice :rolleyes:

Sic
Nov 1, 2005, 05:01 AM
I'll be looking out for the 30D at next year's PMA :D

Or maybe if I'm feeling loaded the 5D is just as nice :rolleyes:

that 1D mk2 is the only Canon i'd ever buy...i'm a bit of a Nikon fanboi. got a D70 myself as i'm just starting out. if i were going to spend 6k on a camera, it'd be a 1DmkII though. cant see it happening in the near future.

i wish i could get out shooting more often :(

currently waiting for Aperture to start shipping...im dying to see what it's like

generik
Nov 1, 2005, 05:02 AM
What is interesting about Dell is when something goes wrong with a Dell it usually takes down the entire computer. When something is wrong with an Apple machine it is usually something annoying like uneven backlighting or a dead pixel... I guess if you have to pick one haha. I just with there were no problems period.

True..

But in marketing these is something we call "purchase involvement" and "post purchase dissonance".

When I buy a Dell laptop I just go "Pfft". When I pay twice that of a Dell, and it creaks in its hinges, and batteries refuse to stay flush, and has a processor that is (factually) probably a fraction of the speed, and looking really piss poor.... :mad:

And hence Apple should really watch it. Especially going by the looks at the number of Nano people having issues with (probably their first) Apple device... and now these other issues.. Consumers may be dumb but they aren't that dumb, they will remember.

But why would Steve care.. he is probably gonna retire soon anyway, and he probably wants his yacht this quarter :mad:

generik
Nov 1, 2005, 05:04 AM
that 1D mk2 is the only Canon i'd ever buy...i'm a bit of a Nikon fanboi. got a D70 myself as i'm just starting out. if i were going to spend 6k on a camera, it'd be a 1DmkII though. cant see it happening in the near future.

i wish i could get out shooting more often :(

currently waiting for Aperture to start shipping...im dying to see what it's like

I try to think of it like this.. for the price of the 1DMkII I can buy 2 of the next lower model, totally disregard it, and periodically sell/upgrade it :D

Why buy one expensive model and having to polish it after each outing, when you can just buy one "throw away" model that is probably 80% as good? :D

Sic
Nov 1, 2005, 05:15 AM
I try to think of it like this.. for the price of the 1DMkII I can buy 2 of the next lower model, totally disregard it, and periodically sell/upgrade it :D

Why buy one expensive model and having to polish it after each outing, when you can just buy one "throw away" model that is probably 80% as good? :D

i can see your logic...i guess it's a pretty good idea. you could also have 2 lenses ready at once...one for your 100-400L and one for your 20mm f1.4 or whatever you choose :D

if you've got the cash

Deepdale
Nov 1, 2005, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=generik]True..But in marketing these is something we call "purchase involvement" and "post purchase dissonance".[QUOTE]

If there is a PPD acronym shared amongst the top insiders at Apple, please let it not stand for "Premium Price, Dummies."

[QUOTE]But why would Steve care.. he is probably gonna retire soon anyway...[QUOTE]

It would not surprise me if he leaves within 12-18 months.

anthonys
Nov 1, 2005, 05:30 AM
I have money to spend on new hardware and I wanted to buy for the upcoming holidays, but at this point my confidence may be heading south more rapidly than the workmanship evident in recently introduced Apple products.

Same position here. I have had money sitting waiting for new Powerbook but didn't get around to ordering one when they first released it because I was hesitant regarding the lack of CPU/GPU updates - seems like this was a good move. Now I have no desire to buy a new Powerbook. Although I need a Mac, I don't *really* need it until February next year so am back to waiting, or I may pick up a Mini if they ever make the 1.5GHz official, another frustrating Apple performance.. :mad:

Clix Pix
Nov 1, 2005, 10:50 AM
Heh....I'm a little disconcerted because my screen was just gorgeous, no problems, no lines, no flickers....and then I just now updated the OS to 10.4.3 and right away the screen starts flickering to beat the band. I finally resorted to turning off the ambient light thingy and now it seems to be stablized again, but that took me by surprise. Maybe the new software version rendered it more sensitive to ambient lighting conditions?

OTB

Edited on 11/27/05 to add that I have experienced no more problems with flickering. That was (thankfully) apparently a one-off and now I'm using the ambient light thingy again and the machine is working beautifully.

VisualForces
Nov 1, 2005, 11:19 AM
This is all and dandy but where are some bloody pictures of these lines? I don't know what is worse, the supposed lines or people not posting pictures of them!

Iggy :)

Pic
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33933&d=1130818514

Thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=158751

Greenone
Nov 1, 2005, 11:57 PM
Knock on wood...so far my new PB has no problems whatsoever, besides the small gap on the front right corner which doesn't appear to be a big deal and could be worse and still good enough. No lines whatsoever...i really like this machine! I hope nothing goes wrong and I don't end up eating my words! Anyway, I hope that gives some of you hope. I can't get over how awesome this laptop is.

themacman
Nov 27, 2005, 04:13 PM
i think i might have one dead pixel at the top middle right, i cant even tell. It's so fast!!!!!

motherduce
Nov 27, 2005, 10:08 PM
i think i might have one dead pixel at the top middle right, i cant even tell. It's so fast!!!!!

Did you run the pixel test?