PDA

View Full Version : Car stereos that work with android devices.

ajumbaje
May 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
There is a Sony head unit that I was looking at(single din) that works over bluetooth with android devices. I was hoping I could set up a unit where I could play the audio over the stereo but take calls over my headset. That would be peachy.

Looking at a s4 or htc one.

Currently have an alpine ida-x305s but the direct access connector is iPod only. Is there a disadvantage of doing mass storage mode?

BoostDeuce
May 10, 2013, 07:15 PM
There is a Sony head unit that I was looking at(single din) that works over bluetooth with android devices. I was hoping I could set up a unit where I could play the audio over the stereo but take calls over my headset. That would be peachy.

Currently have an alpine ida-x305s but the direct access connector is iPod only. Is there a disadvantage of doing mass storage mode?

i have a pioneer double din in my truck and if i want to take calls over the headset, i have to manually switch it over after the call has started

not on your topic, but my HTC thunderbolt displayed the song name and artist when it was on bluetooth audio. My iphone on BT audio doesnt display the name. it just says "no song name" and i have to use the phone to change the track. Previously i could use my trucks steering wheel controls to change the song via BT, but not with the iphone

ajumbaje
May 11, 2013, 01:38 AM
I'm looking at the Sony mex-gs600bt

Assault
May 11, 2013, 11:57 AM

You need to ensure the stereo is A2DP compliant.

ajumbaje
May 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
That it is :)

Tarzanman
May 13, 2013, 06:55 AM
I have a Pioneer double DIN unit. It works via bluetooth, but I have always found this to be a crappy way to stream music (poor quality).

A USB stick or SD card (if your unit supports) is the best way, IMO. I use an aux headphone cable for playing music from the phone because it requires less navigation on the phone and I don't have to remember to unpair or deactivate bluetooth when I am done.

For some things (networking, etc), wired is just better, IMHO.

dapitts08
May 13, 2013, 07:16 AM
several of the sony head units have an app that is compatible with ios and android.

i purchased this one

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BT3100P/Sony-MEX-BT3100P.html

but had to send it back because I need a double din instead of a single din in my car.

mattopotamus
May 13, 2013, 07:30 AM

I think it depends on the particular android phone. For example, the HTC one gives me the option once connected to bluetooth if I want music or calls to come over the bluetooth or both. So you could pair the headset for calls and the radio for music. I had a sony unit in my old car that I got from best buy and it worked with my android phones.

I am not sure how many different bluetooth devices you can have paired at one time. If I remember correctly with the iphone it is only one at a time.

I believe it was this exact one
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+CD+-+Built-In+Bluetooth+-+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-Ready+-+In-Dash+Receiver/7345064.p?id=1218840472775&skuId=7345064&st=sony%20car%20stereo&cp=1&lp=2

Tarzanman
May 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
AFAIK, the way bluetooth is built from the ground up, it only allows one active connection at a time. In order to maintain two seperate, distinct bluetooth connections, you would need a device with two seperate, distinct bluetooth antenna/reciever/stacks.

I think that the PS3 can do this. Never heard of any other devices that does

mattopotamus
May 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
AFAIK, the way bluetooth is built from the ground up, it only allows one active connection at a time. In order to maintain two seperate, distinct bluetooth connections, you would need a device with two seperate, distinct bluetooth antenna/reciever/stacks.

I think that the PS3 can do this. Never heard of any other devices that does

that makes sense. I have never been in a situation where I wanted to pair two difference devices to my phone at the same time. Back to the OP, Unless your car has bluetooth and phone features built in, I have found the quality of 3rd party car bluetooths really poor for phone calls. They always make it so the person on the other end cannot hear me, or it picks up every noise in the world.