PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 First Impressions

biohazard6969
Oct 28, 2005, 10:30 PM
ok, i just felt the need to do this. i'm now currently typing on my brand spankin new 20" imac G5 2.1 ghz that i got TODAY. and upgrading frrom the 12" powerbook 1.33 is a BIIIIG difference. for starters THE SCREEN WOAH! i love it, its so damn big, so much screen real estate, i just love it, and whenever i go b ack to my powerbook i feel cramped....really really cramped...

anyways, the remote and photobooth i feel are complete novelties, i used photobooth once, the minute i turned on the iMac, i took a picture of myself with every effect, picked my fav for my login picture (stretch lol) and put eh rest into iphoto. i doubt i'll ever use it again, except for showing off my iMac. Front row is sluggish, when i push the button on the remote, it will take as long as 5-10 MINUTES for it to show up on the screen (if i'm busy at the moment) and even if i'm not, its like it takes forever to register with the computer...i hope it will get worked in over time cause this is a real nuisance.

POWER!! woah fast fast fast. i played halo, and i was able to do it on the HIGHEST settings. wow wow wow it looks absolutely stunning

i still have yet to try out things like my new superdrive but theres time for that, cause this baby is finally MINE i own her forever!!

it feels so good to vent the GOOD feelings

thx guys :D

EDIT: i forgot to add how much i LOVE the mighty mouse, i like that whnen i squeeze the sides it activates exposť, i'll be using it a LOT more now, its just so much easier, i also LOVE this apple keyboard, i think its amazing! i didn't expect such attention to detail in a keyboard and mouse. i'm very impressed....though thats more than i could say about the applestore customer service :mad:

Oryan
Oct 28, 2005, 10:59 PM
Congratulations! You've got some pretty nice specs on that system. God I wish I had more hd space...

biohazard6969
Oct 28, 2005, 11:03 PM
yeah, i love the HD space, now all the data a had spread over my powerbook, old imac and external HD can fit onto one computer :D i'm still waiting on my 1GB of crucial memory though, then this thing will really soar :cool:

pionata
Oct 28, 2005, 11:14 PM
You could you try to set front row to load with your user preferences to see if it remove the 5 minutes wait after when you activate it with the remote.

jmurray
Oct 28, 2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks Bio for the review. I am most interested in fans noise, or lack thereof and superdrive smoothness/noise, or lack thereof. Other early reports suggest no "ramping" up and down like a twin prop turbine. And, have you done any internal temp readings? Just looking for an update on problem issues of the two previous versions of the iMac G5.

Thanks in advance.

JM

Danksi
Oct 28, 2005, 11:19 PM
Nice one. I'm very happy with my 17inch, which I've had a few days now.

I've enabled the screen spanning hack for a second LG 19inch LCD, but only because I like to see my email and IM clients on the second screen, however I'm getting used to Expose now, so I may leave the second screen switched off.

EDIT: Fan noise is hardly noticeable, although I've never had another Mac to compare to. Temp I think was running at 60'. I'm in the market for at least a 1Gb stick soon I think.

pknz
Oct 29, 2005, 12:18 AM
ooozing with jealousy here for that extra .1GHz, actually just for the graphics card.

XIII
Oct 29, 2005, 06:06 AM
I've written up my first thoughts here (http://www.applesplash.com/home/2005/10/28/mac-expo-first-thoughts-imac-g5/) if anyone is interested. :)

Deepdale
Oct 29, 2005, 06:13 AM
i'm very impressed....though thats more than i could say about the applestore customer service :mad:

Enjoy it for years to come. What in particular happened to sour you on the Apple Store customer service?

biohazard6969
Oct 29, 2005, 05:37 PM
to be honest, the fan i thought would be a lot quieter....not that its loud at all, its very quite, with only a few apps open i can just hear it, but i'm alone and the house if very quiet. as for the customert service, they had to run a background check on the visa, which took about 15 minutes. but thats not where it started. i walk in the store (which was appallingly empty for a friday afternoon) found someone and said "i need a new iMac" she went back to get it........20 minutes later, after a second clerk goes in to find the first one i sent to get my computer, they fin ally bring it up front. then the 15 minute call with people to verify visa. it was a real hassle considering i needed to be in and out of there in under 15 :o but i couldn't be happier with the result! :D

Loke
Oct 30, 2005, 09:46 PM
Im wondering about these issues:

If Im to connect the video signal from the iMac to a plasma TV or projector, and connect the audio signal to an external stereo.

1. In clone mode, can you make the display on the iMac blank out - so just the plasma/pj shows the screen?

2. What happens to the internal speakers on the iMac when you have connected an external stereo? Do they mute? Can you mute them and still keep playing on the external stereo? What if the external stereo is shut off, can you get the internal speakers playing?

3. How is the iSight angle working out? Can the monitor be tilted, or does it have to be vertical in order to capture your face?