Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Hello everyone. i am going to leave one of my powermac just for photo edition, and now i would like to know wich is the software that powerpc users use to recommend. Some people told me to star¡y with PS 3, and pixelmator. Others just to use Aperture.
Any software suggestion for a newbe in photoedition?

thnaks.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Adobe Creative Suite CS 3 was the last version for PPC. It is a hassle to get it run on a case-sensitive filesystem. Adobe's programmers were never good. Adobe Lightroom 2 was the last version for PPC, if you prefer that software for fast photo editing.

Aperture is very slow and only "usable" on a dual G5.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Adobe Creative Suite CS 3 was the last version for PPC.…
Uhm. No.

I have the Creative Suite 4 installed on a PowerMac G4/450 at work and it was on a G5 until the G5 died. I also have it installed on my 17" PowerBook G4.

We use Photoshop CS4 every day at work. I assure you, ID CS4, Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4 as well as a few other pieces of CS4 run on PowerPC Macs.

And no, they aren't slow either.

kalel77

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
In my opinion Adobe Photoshop Element 6 is the last entry level for Ppc mac and work just great!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
CS4 is a breeze on my Power Mac G5.

I second this. The whole CS4 suite in general is great & runs beautifully on a G5. You didn't mention if have a G4 or a G5 PowerMac though - CS4 requires a G5. On the surface CS3 isn't a big step down & would work well on a G4.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…You didn't mention if have a G4 or a G5 PowerMac though - CS4 requires a G5.…
I repeat my earlier statement. I have CS4, including InDesign CS4, Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4 running on a 450mhz PowerMac G4 AGP (with 1GB ram) with OSX 10.5.8 Leopard at work AND running on my 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook G4.

:D

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I repeat my earlier statement. I have CS4, including InDesign CS4, Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4 running on a 450mhz PowerMac G4 AGP (with 1GB ram) with OSX 10.5.8 Leopard at work AND running on my 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook G4.D

That's odd - I tried installing it on my 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 & it would straight up refuse to. Every time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's odd - I tried installing it on my 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 & it would straight up refuse to. Every time.
Maybe it's the installer?

Were you using a CS4 suite installer? I ask because I didn't. When CS4 came out I went and downloaded every component individually. So, I have installers for InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. IIRC I think that's why I did individual installs.

There were apps I was not able to install because it requires a G5 processor though and AfterEffects also required something the G5 does not have (forget which at the moment). So, maybe if you were using a suite installer it stopped because one or more (but not all) of the apps required more than a G4?

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I used Photoshop CS4 Extended on my G5 and it ran beautifully. I do sort of recall having trouble with the installer refusing to run though, I think it wanted a 2GHz CPU and not a dual 1.8, and I think I ended up installing components individually using Pacifist.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Were you using a CS4 suite installer? I ask because I didn't. When CS4 came out I went and downloaded every component individually. So, I have installers for InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. IIRC I think that's why I did individual installs.

Okay. Unofficially CS4 also runs on G4. :)

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Thanks for the anwers, ill give a try to the version 4, much diffenrence with CS3?
Pixelmator is a complement for PS?

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
If you have it, go with CS4 or 3. However, if you don't, Adobe released CS2 for free a couple months back, and with PowerPC systems this won't cut into their profit margin.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Pixelmator is a complement for PS?

No, it's not a complement - if anything I'd say it is a promising substitute. But I haven't had the pleasure to play around with it personally yet so I can't say anything about it. I'll be more than happy to hear users thoughts on this software - since I value those higher than a "professional" review. So I'll second your request for thoughts on the matter.

I'm getting more and more pissed at Adobe's business strategies by the day so I want to steer clear of their products. So far I haven't been doing all that great - I'm using Photoshop almost every day. ;)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Maybe it's the installer?

Were you using a CS4 suite installer? I ask because I didn't.

Yes, I was the using the suite installer. That's obviously the issue then. At least now I know I'll be able to knock Photoshop CS4 (the only one I use on a regular basis) on the 'new' PowerBook when it arrives. Thanks for the help!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
No way Pixelmator can be considered a replacement for Photoshop, last time I checked, it was no longer development for the PPC, and *still* doesn't even have a magnetic lasso. Even 10.6 has a basic version. Preview.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
No way Pixelmator can be considered a replacement for Photoshop, last time I checked, it was no longer development for the PPC, and *still* doesn't even have a magnetic lasso. Even 10.6 has a basic version. Preview.

I agree. I got the opportunity to try it out shortly after my post and several things were missing. Most of them does appear later on, but by then it's Intel only. For very light work (minor tweaks on images) I'd say it's... okay, but yeah - PowerPC development has ceased so future improvements does not apply. A shame, but understandable!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Pixelmator came out in 2007, so it was way after the Intel transition and therefore PPC support was dropped quickly.

And yeah, it's not a replacement for Photoshop, but it's good for someone who wants a good program that simply isn't gimmicky filters, MS Paint, or with a weird interface like GIMP has.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hello everyone. i am going to leave one of my powermac just for photo edition, and now i would like to know wich is the software that powerpc users use to recommend. Some people told me to star¡y with PS 3, and pixelmator. Others just to use Aperture.
Any software suggestion for a newbe in photoedition?

thnaks.

Adobe is giving CS2 away for free.
It's my choice for G3 systems, and it runs like a charm on the early G4s.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Adobe is giving CS2 away for free.
No. They. Are. Not.
It is NOT free. This is a common fallacy because it was first reported that way.

The link you provide is for registered owners who have already purchased the product and the serials are given there so that registered owners may reinstall CS2 without having to reactivate. Adobe has removed CS2 from the activation servers.

That said however, Adobe seems to be unconcerned about others downloading from that link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.