PDA

View Full Version : Quell my Fear!

neoelectronaut
Oct 28, 2005, 11:19 PM
I took apart my iPod just now to change the battery, and now it's charging.

Now, make me feel better. I could have sworn I put the HD back on correctly. I could have sworn I felt the connection "click", but do me a favor and make me feel better anyway:

Would the dang thing even start if the HD wasn't connected? Am I worrying for nothing? It's not worth my taking it all back apart to check, y'know?

clayj
Oct 28, 2005, 11:23 PM
I gotta think that the iPod's OS is loaded from the HD, so no HD connection = no boot. (Makes sense to me...)

virus1
Oct 29, 2005, 05:41 PM
once for fun i wiped my ipod's hd (including the hidden os files), and it just booted with an error message telling me to go to the ipod support page.

jimsowden
Oct 29, 2005, 06:58 PM
The OS is HD dependent, but functions like charging and the do not disconnect icon are run from firmware. It's kinda hard to put a HD back in correctly, theres so little space I doubt it would fit if the connector wasn't secure.

neoelectronaut
Oct 29, 2005, 08:42 PM
Anywho, battery's in and it seems to last a bit longer.

However, now the iPod case on the right edge "clicks" slightly when I squeeze it. It doesn't look bad, but it's just one of those nagging things that only you notice.

Ah well, it works fine, it obviously isn't going to open up without me prying it open again, so, well, I shouldn't complain.

Lacero
Oct 29, 2005, 08:45 PM
I have to yet crack open my old 2G iPod. The battery doesn't seem to be lasting as long as before. I'm going to do a run-down test when I have time. Did you visit any website for tips to open your iPod?