PDA

View Full Version : IMessage alternative for Samsung s4

Dlcinnc
May 11, 2013, 08:55 AM
I am going to make the switch from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung galaxy S4 on e Verizon gets them in stock. My husband and two kids all have iPhones and the one thing I think I will miss is iMessage particularly the ability to see when they have read a message and being able to follow messages on my MacBook Air and iPad. Is there a comparable app on android that would accomplish this? Especially the "read" feature on messages.

Finally, is there anything else app related that I should consider when all my other tech gadgets are Apple?

Thanks!!!:)

MacRumorUser
May 11, 2013, 09:07 AM
WhatsApp. Download it on all the other iphones and onto your android phone and you'll be able to still message each other in a similar manner to iMessage including sending photos etc...

http://www.whatsapp.com

gaiao
May 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
You can also download viber. It doest everything whatsapp does plus allows you to make phone calls...
and its free.

soulreaver99
May 11, 2013, 09:49 AM
Line or Facebook chat. Line also has a desktop application for Mac and pc

jeffe
May 11, 2013, 06:17 PM
Google is rumored to announce something next week but why not just use the Google Talk app that is pre-installed on the phone?

There is a google talk client that runs on top of the google chrome browser, you can google talk in your gmail account and you can google talk on your phone.

----------

I am going to make the switch from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung galaxy S4 on e Verizon gets them in stock. My husband and two kids all have iPhones and the one thing I think I will miss is iMessage particularly the ability to see when they have read a message and being able to follow messages on my MacBook Air and iPad. Is there a comparable app on android that would accomplish this? Especially the "read" feature on messages.

Finally, is there anything else app related that I should consider when all my other tech gadgets are Apple?

Thanks!!!:)

Before getting your phone I'd recommend adding your contacts to your google account and setting up your computer to upload your music to the google play music cloud.

Then when you get your device, your music and contacts will be available immediately.

Dlcinnc
May 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks! These are great suggestions. Now to sit back and wait until the Galaxy S4 is released by Verizon. Keeping my fingers crossed it happens before May 30th.

LIVEFRMNYC
May 11, 2013, 06:36 PM
Try ChatOn (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.chaton&hl=en). It's pretty good and cross platform. Samsung really needs to market it like they do for Galaxy devices.

adder7712
May 11, 2013, 06:37 PM
WhatsApp, LINE, WeChat, ChatOn.

All of above are multiplatform.

0dev
May 12, 2013, 07:29 AM
WhatsApp is the most widely adapted and since it uses your phone number and contacts it's closest to the functionality of iMessage.