Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Went to install X-Plane 10 and it kept crashing when loading. Discovered it was most likely a display driver issue. Sure enough it was as I went to load up diablo 3 and it wouldn't start either and got the no video or whatever error. I'm guessing my nvidia drivers got corrupted somehow? Tried to reinstall the nvidia drivers and reboot but nothing. Went into an infinite boot loop.

Booted up to windows 7 and everything was working. Removed my drive sled and hooked it up to usb and Then booted up to 10.8.4 and deleted all the nvidia kexts off the drive hooked up via USB. Verified the drive and repaired permissions, which of course all the nvidia files were borked.

Now I put my drive back in and it all works except for a black screen. I thought I had screen sharing enabled so I could just reinstall the nvidia drivers but I can't see what I'm doing.

I am using 2 GTX-670 PC GPUs but with lack of driver support since I deleted the kexts, I guess they won't work and just display no video.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
You could try booting in safe mode and install the latest 10.8 combo update, that would reinstall the drivers.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You could try booting in safe mode and install the latest 10.8 combo update, that would reinstall the drivers.

Oh perfect. Never thought of installing the combo update... It worked. Thanks!

Didn't have to boot to safe mode, just downloaded the 10.8.3 combo update and installed. Rebooted and my screen came back on. Guess that put all the drivers back in place.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.