PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Web browser updated to 1.3a

medea
Dec 16, 2002, 06:13 PM
The Mozilla Organization has posted Mozilla 1.3a, the latest release of the popular open-source Web browser. Version 1.3a contains new Mail and Newsgroup features and fixes, as well as a quicksearch for bookmarks. A complete list of improvements can be found here http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.3a/ . Mozilla 1.3a is available for Mac OS X. "We're transitioning the Mac Classic (OS 8.x and 9.x) build to Mozilla Port status. This means that mozilla.org won't be making official Classic builds beginning with 1.3alpha," states the release notes. "For 1.3alpha (but probably not later releases) users of OS 9 with carbonlib can use the OS X (CFM) build."

barkmonster
Dec 17, 2002, 05:19 PM
"For 1.3alpha (but probably not later releases) users of OS 9 with carbonlib can use the OS X (CFM) build."

Well that's just great, I follow the progress of a browser for ages downloading huge files even when I had lame dial up access and just as mozilla is starting to look like a real internet explorer killer, I've got to shell out for OS X and bog down my beige G3 even more than the updates from 8.6 - 9.x.x have done.

Okay, OS 9 is dead, but not for a lot of us who can't afford new macs that handle OS X properly. I'm not happy with this. Maybe there'll be unoffical OS 9 builds aswell. At least there's netscape 7. If they'd sort out the menus in netscape, add the ability to scroll any page with both page up/down and the arrow keys and sort out the glaring Javascript bugs that render loads of DHTML heavy sites useless. Mozilla wouldn't matter anymore apart from offering a sneak peak at what's likely to be in future versions of netscape anyway.

Nipsy
Dec 17, 2002, 05:55 PM
You think you're pissed?

My SE/30 is stuck on Mosaic...

alex_ant
Dec 18, 2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by barkmonster
Well that's just great, I follow the progress of a browser for ages downloading huge files even when I had lame dial up access and just as mozilla is starting to look like a real internet explorer killer, I've got to shell out for OS X and bog down my beige G3 even more than the updates from 8.6 - 9.x.x have done.

Okay, OS 9 is dead, but not for a lot of us who can't afford new macs that handle OS X properly. I'm not happy with this. Maybe there'll be unoffical OS 9 builds aswell. At least there's netscape 7. If they'd sort out the menus in netscape, add the ability to scroll any page with both page up/down and the arrow keys and sort out the glaring Javascript bugs that render loads of DHTML heavy sites useless. Mozilla wouldn't matter anymore apart from offering a sneak peak at what's likely to be in future versions of netscape anyway.
Mozilla is not being discontinued for OS 9, its status has merely been changed to a port. So development on it will continue - it just won't necessarily be synched up to the mainstream releases. And Netscape certainly won't drop OS 9 support anytime soon.