PDA

View Full Version : iBook and external monitor

andrewheard
Oct 29, 2005, 08:59 AM
Is it possible to use an external monitor at 1280x1024 with an iBook. I don't care if I can't have the iBook LCD on at the same time but when I get home I want to be able to use my 17inch LCD screen instead of the iBook's.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

-If I bought a powerbook, how hard is it to add RAM later and would it void my warranty? I've got experience putting RAM in PCs but I've never had a laptop before.

20rogersc
Oct 30, 2005, 10:02 AM
Is it possible to use an external monitor at 1280x1024 with an iBook. I don't care if I can't have the iBook LCD on at the same time but when I get home I want to be able to use my 17inch LCD screen instead of the iBook's.Try Screen Spanning Doctor (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) which I use to run my external 21" from my iBook. It works fine and have had no problems with it at all.

However it is a hack so it could clash with warranty claims.

::20ROGERSC::

Chundles
Oct 30, 2005, 10:40 AM
And DO NOT allow it run in clamshell mode - the iBook is designed to vent heat through the keyboard and if you operate it whilst closed, well, we know what that will do.

And just a word of advice, you can remove screen spanning doctor by resetting the PRAM, I'd do this before you apply any OS updates (10.4.2, 10.4.3 etc.). I can't be sure but I think my computer had an issue with SSD when I updated to 10.4.2 and since then it can't output video to my TV, when I plug in the proper adaptor it thinks a monitor is plugged. Damned if I can find a fix either, I've tried everything.

But SSD did work an absolute treat and should run a 17" LCD in extended desktop mode very well.

w_parietti22
Oct 30, 2005, 10:51 AM
wtf? How'd this happen? :p
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1369/img26709og.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img26709og.jpg)
'22's Setup

I use the Screen Spanning Docker on my iBook and it works great. No problems. Just reset the PRAM if something happens to your iBook becuase sending it in with the hack, could cause Apple to not service your iBook :eek:

pionata
Oct 30, 2005, 01:08 PM
How can you set the other monitor as the primary display?

I got the sph installed and never found it out, its clamshell mode right?

NM just found out, DUH!

andrewheard
Oct 30, 2005, 03:47 PM
When you guys said that I needed to reset the PRAM I thought I'd have to open up the machine or something but I googled and found that its just a couple keystrokes. Yay! Now I can be cheap and buy an iBook instead of a PowerBook without worrying about not being able to get the screen spanning doctor off.

w_parietti22
Oct 30, 2005, 04:46 PM
How can you set the other monitor as the primary display?

I got the sph installed and never found it out, its clamshell mode right?

NM just found out, DUH!

yeah, I couldn't figure it out first, then once I did, it was so obvious. :rolleyes:

Dreadnought
Oct 31, 2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know what SSD precisely does, but there is also an app from a German guy, the second monitor is then an extension of iBooks monitor. It also works with iMacs.

solvs
Oct 31, 2005, 12:19 PM
I don't know what SSD precisely does, but there is also an app from a German guy, the second monitor is then an extension of iBooks monitor. It also works with iMacs.
It's the same thing. ;)

slooksterPSV
Oct 31, 2005, 12:33 PM
Wow I want to use SSD, but my monitor I have upstairs only supports 1024x768 so wouldn't help there. I would love to get a Flat LCD Monitor (I hate plasma with a passion) and use SSD to span my iBook, but I would only do that after a year or till my AppleCare goes out.