PDA

View Full Version : Buying iBook... 12" or 14"?

destroyboredom
Dec 16, 2002, 07:15 PM
I'm considering buying an iBook within the next few weeks, any recommendations on screen size? I was going to go with the 12" but the sales guy said they were small bla bla bla. Then i just read someone's post who heard they were flimsy??

Opinions??

I'm not sure I can afford the 14" but if people think its worth it then I'll wait until i have more $$.

medea
Dec 16, 2002, 07:19 PM
the 12" is not that small, the sales guy will always try to get you to spend more money....if your not sure you can afford the 14" then dont do it, it might be a luxury you cant afford right now, plus the 12" ones are even more compact and portable and I havnt heard or seen any issues myself of the screen being flimsy. Was this a live sales guy or one over the phone? if it was in person then did you get a chance to see the screen and decide for yourself?

destroyboredom
Dec 16, 2002, 07:35 PM
Actually its a rather intersting situation. I'm a sales rep for a computer parts Disti here in PA.{ http://www.dandh.com }if anyone is interested. The person I'm purchasing from is actually a customer of mine, and the discussion was over the phone.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 12" Just looking for feedback, before I fork out the dough.

Nipsy
Dec 16, 2002, 07:59 PM
The 12 is as usable, and infinitely more portable than the 14.

The 14 doesn't gain you any pixels.

The $1299 12 inch model is a perfect complement to a desktop.

Once you pay the $ for the 14, you may be better off getting a used or refurb Ti, where the incresed size adds some feautres as well.

G4scott
Dec 16, 2002, 08:15 PM
I'm posting this right now off of my 12" late 2001 model iBook. I love it. The screen, although small, is great, because it has a higher pixel density than the 14" model. The 14" model also looks klunky (in my opinion.) The iBook was definitely designed to have a 12" screen, the 14" model just makes the iBook look and feel bloated. Besides, the 12" model is lighter and more portable. Just a little taller and wider than a letter size piece of paper.

Go with the fastest 12" with the DVD/CD-RW drive. You won't regret it. Just be sure to have at least 256mb of RAM (preferably 384 or more)

I hope you make the decision that's best for you.

destroyboredom
Dec 16, 2002, 10:58 PM
I think I'm going with the 12"

jefhatfield
Dec 16, 2002, 11:25 PM
since it's a portable mac, you're in a win-win situation

at least you are not in the dark like many users and contemplating buying a pc laptop over an ibook;)

MacAztec
Dec 16, 2002, 11:28 PM
Get the 12inch. If you want to use it as a desktop too, get a 17in LCD at DealMac.com for like 360 dollars.

That is the best solution IMO.

zimv20
Dec 16, 2002, 11:34 PM
i just bought the 12" model and love it. definitely not flimsy.

jefhatfield
Dec 16, 2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by zimv20
i just bought the 12" model and love it. definitely not flimsy.

want flimsy...check out most pc laptops...even the pricey ones

the only pc laptops as tough or tougher than the ibook are the ultra expensive panasonic toughbooks or similar outdoor use pc laptops

since i am quite happy with my rev a ibook with its small 12" screen, the current ibook with a 12" inch screen would be my choice

and since i am not a major gamer, the $999 model with 16mb vram is adequate for me

G4scott
Dec 16, 2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
and since i am not a major gamer, the $999 model with 16mb vram is adequate for me

I wish I had that 16mb of vram... Although I don't play games, it would be nice to free up some processor time with quartz extreme... Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait...

maxvamp
Dec 16, 2002, 11:49 PM
Nothing flimsy about my 600 / 12" iBook.

Just one note though..don't be surprised if the CD drawer pops open when picking up the notebook. Still, it has been only a minor annoyance. One of these days, I'll have AppleCare fix it.

Great laptop, and has outlasted two Compaq Laptops Also purchased a year ago...

Max

jefhatfield
Dec 16, 2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by maxvamp

Great laptop, and has outlasted two Compaq Laptops Also purchased a year ago...

Max

the way i have kept my compaq laptop for three years is that i hardly bring it anywhere

even if it were sturdy, which it isn't, it still weighs 7.5 lbs...and last time i checked, with the adapter and case brings the whole package to about 10 pounds, my non weightlifter body does not like carrying that thing around

now if i had a current ibook at 4.9 lbs with its great battery time, i could leave the adapter at home and have a much better mobile experience wieghing in around 6 pounds with case

:D

losfp
Dec 17, 2002, 04:41 AM
Well, I'm currently thinking about getting a 12" iBook.. The 14" model never even crossed my mind. The only advantages the 14" one has, IMHO, are:

1) longer battery life
2) larger screen, could be more comfortable viewing for people with less-than-perfect eyesight.

s'far as I can tell, the 12" model has these advantages:

1) smaller and lighter
2) same screen resolution, so you aren't losing any real-estate
3) same sized keyboard as the 14"

Everything else is exactly the same. For me, portability is the #1 factor with a notebook.

jefhatfield
Dec 17, 2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by losfp
Well, I'm currently thinking about getting a 12" iBook.. The 14" model never even crossed my mind. The only advantages the 14" one has, IMHO, are:

1) longer battery life
2) larger screen, could be more comfortable viewing for people with less-than-perfect eyesight.

s'far as I can tell, the 12" model has these advantages:

1) smaller and lighter
2) same screen resolution, so you aren't losing any real-estate
3) same sized keyboard as the 14"

Everything else is exactly the same. For me, portability is the #1 factor with a notebook.

some people don't like a 12" inch screen regardless of the resolution so the best thing is to see if you can live with a 12" inch screen

the 14" ibook would be much better if it weighed only a half a pound more and was thinner

kylos
Dec 17, 2002, 10:50 AM
The increased battery performance and screen size don't even begin to offset the pure ugliness of the 14 inch model. As already pointed out, the iBook is just meant to be 12.1, the extra 2 inches destroy the visual perfection that catches your attention when you first see the iBook.

zimv20
Dec 17, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Kyle?
The increased battery performance and screen size don't even begin to offset the pure ugliness of the 14 inch model.

right on. it reminds me of those pizza box macs.

pnz999
Dec 17, 2002, 01:17 PM
How is the image quality on the iBook? is it sharp and bright?

and maybe how does it compared to an iMac? (picture quality) because in my local mac store.. they dont display the iBook...mostly either the 15-17 iMac/

jefhatfield
Dec 17, 2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Kyle?
The increased battery performance and screen size don't even begin to offset the pure ugliness of the 14 inch model. As already pointed out, the iBook is just meant to be 12.1, the extra 2 inches destroy the visual perfection that catches your attention when you first see the iBook.

ugly you say???

look at a dell laptop and try to say that again about an apple product:D ;)

destroyboredom
Dec 17, 2002, 09:13 PM
I opted for the 12" with w/ 640 Ram. I also bought the protection plan. I can't wait...it should be here tomm.

kylos
Dec 18, 2002, 01:14 AM
Let me put it this way: the 14" ibook just isn't right. It's a misapplication of great design.

Now the pc laptops out there really do qualify as ugly.:)

destroyboredom
Dec 20, 2002, 07:17 PM
Just thought i'd thrown in an update...i've had this thing for two days now and its spectacular. I plugged in sony digital 8 last night, talk about true plug and play, wow.

Everyone always says how good macs are w/ graphics and video but in order to really appreciate it you have to own it.

BTW- I read the post on the P4 3.0ghz VS G4. Its always going to be a speed race that will go back and forth.

cr2sh
Dec 20, 2002, 08:15 PM
The 12" iBook would certainly be a lot more compelling if they could cram a 1280x1024 into it. The current resolution is just too small to get anything done, I'm still using a 15" apple lcd and I hate it. It looks amazing, great image quality, but try doing photoshop and dreamweaver on it - just not enough space. I'm not sure why anyone would buy the 14"... it doesn't help matters at all.
just my HO.

SilvorX
Dec 20, 2002, 08:54 PM
i have a 12" ibook and its a great machine :), the 14" ibook isnt worth it, $500 CDN more for just only a battery that has an hr more, 128 megs more ram, 10 gigs more hd space, and 2" more screen...which is the same resolution...

jefhatfield
Dec 21, 2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by destroyboredom
I opted for the 12" with w/ 640 Ram. I also bought the protection plan. I can't wait...it should be here tomm.

good choice:D