Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I posted this on my site, but I thought it would nice posting it here as well.

I’ve finally taken the plunge into the Mac world. I’ve been using my new 15? PowerBook for almost a week now, and it doesn’t just look good, it does a great job as well. You could say that this is the reason why there have been a lot of Apple related posts on my site recently. This is the story of a recent switcher.

The Prelude

’ve used Windows as my main operating system my entire life, and frankly I’ve been quite happy with it. I’ve never had any serious issues with virus, spyware or security holes. Sure I have had some problems with drivers, programs unexpectedly freezing and forcing me to reboot the entire computer, as well as some hardware related issues, but no major ones. For that I’m lucky I guess. I’ve always managed to sort the problems out. Then why Mac? Why did I chose to switch if I was more or less happy with the Windows platform? Why bother learning something new, when I can be safe and sound? Good questions.

This decision was not so much about spyware, virus or security holes, but rather about approaching your computer with a different attitude. I was searching for a better computer experience basically. Many Windows related problems you can solve with a decent firewall, an anti-virus program installed, and updating Windows on a regular basis – then you’ll be quite safe. SP2 fixed many of security holes, and in fact my PC has never crashed since I installed it. But all of this requires time and knowledge. To keep your computer clean and reasonable safe takes a fair amount of time. Time I could use to work on a paper, read my mail, or browse the web. Yeah, you get the picture. I shouldn’t be bothered with issues like virus and spyware.

So I decided to look into what options I had instead of using Windows. I could buy a PC laptop and install a Linux distribution on it, but that of something would require a great deal of knowledge and particularly time, or am I wrong? No, I wanted something to work right out of the box, with a safe and stable OS. I wanted something that just works.

The only option left that could give me all of that was Apple. I had never thought about if before, but now the thought appealed more and more to me. So I started to research, to find out as much as possible about Mac computers and OSX in particular, that didn’t just look great, but also is based on UNIX. A rock-solid operating system that is safe and on top of that gorgeous. So I discovered the great community surrounding Apple - a cult of Mac, if you wish.

The Cult of Mac

I read tons of forum threads, articles, reviews, rumors, everything I could find about Apple. The place to find this information was of course MacRumors.com, and am I glad that I found it? You bet I am. I searched through the forums, and of course I wasn’t the first to ask questions about making the switch, so I found a great deal of information covering most of my questions.

I had already decided to go with a laptop, but I was torn between the 12? iBook and a 12? PowerBook. I posted a thread about this and the nice people at MacRumors.com were more than happy to answer all of my remaining questions. I finally decided to go with a 15? PowerBook, mostly because I don’t need that much portability that what justify a 12? laptop, but rather a desktop replacement. I had finally made my choice – I was going to switch to a Mac! Now comes the worst part of the story – the almost endless waiting game.

Playing the Waiting Game

When I had made my decision and had all my money in my hand ready to buy a brand new 15? PowerBook I read countless of rumors indicating that an update to the PowerBook line was due. I didn’t want to buy a new computer one week, just to discover that it was updated the next. No this was a game between the need and of the want of a new computer. I had set the target for Apple Paris Expo and my expectations was sky-high. But the expo came and went without any hint of a PowerBook update. I was upset to say the least, and very disappointed about the .Mac update. Apple could have at least given me a hint when an update was due, I thought. But I kept waiting.

When Apple finally announced the “One More Thing…” I thought this is it, they’re finally going to give me that bloody update. Both the blogosphere and the forums buzzed with speculations and expectations about this event. I wrote a rumor roundup and on the day of the event I sat and refreshed rumor sites reading bits and pieces on the forums to find a hint of an update. But this wasn’t my lucky day either. What was I going to do? Should I buy one when I’ve waiting so long? I decided to wait another week and when Apple announced that they was going to hold another press event about their latest “pro innovations” I knew that this was it, despite my previous predictions.

It was a long a week, and the day before the event I even counted the hours until the keynote, and then they announced the update. Some was very disappointed about it performance wise, but I was happy. And there is a reason why Apple is moving to Intel – Freescale obviously can’t deliver. I put an order for a 15? PowerBook merely a couple of hours after the event, and I can say that I had a hard time sleeping that night. I entered phase two of the waiting game, but this game had a delivery date.

This was the long wait for my new PowerBook to arrive. I don’t know how many times I checked the tracking site for updates. I almost addictively clicked that damn refresh button every five minute or so. I called TNT to make sure my package was on its way and safe. And then on Monday morning my shipping status changed to “Out For Delivery”. Yes!! I’m going to get my computer today. I was thrilled to say the least. I didn’t know how a computer could affect me this much, but it did.

It's here!

After months of waiting, hours of reading forum posts, articles, and a great deal of money, I finally unwrapped the beautiful black package, with the Apple logo in its side. I cleaned my desktop and put my stunning 15? PowerBook down. I was greeted by the introduction video, which was nice, but I had seen it before. Some configuration and I was staring at a blue desktop, a dock and some icons – OSX. It just looked plain smooth and gorgeous.

My first encounter with a better computer experience though, was during the first startup when OSX had found my wireless network and asked me if I wanted to connect to it. I clicked yes, and OSX connected without any hassle. I kept telling myself – there has to be something more for me to do to make it work. But the answer was no, it just worked. I was impressed to say the least. I loved it already! When using Windows you expect that there will be problems and after some configuration you’re fine again. But not this time – OSX had done the job for me. Beautiful!

Some Initial Thoughts

OSX doesn’t just look good, it does the job as well. Take for example Exposé, it looks nice, but it also has improved my workflow and despite me cluttering down the desktop I in an instant can find a particular program or get rid of everything and show my desktop. Exposé is a great example of the strength and beauty of OSX.

When talking about eye-candy, mentioning Dashboard would be suitable. Same thing here, it looks good, but also fills a great function. Dashboard keeps me updated on the weather, my site statistics, and other basic stuff, without interfering me in my work. Simply great!

And Spotlight, what can I tell you that you haven’t heard before. Probably nothing, but I can say that I’m getting used to search for things on my computer. In Windows, search was something you did if you absolutely couldn’t find the particular file, and then you went to make some tea or something when Windows performed the search. Spotlight has in a serious way changed my habits and made my work more effective.

The spell checker, where have you been all my life? This is just a small thing, but it is so nice to write an entry like this or a forum post, or whatever, and then have it all nice and correct. Invaluable!

OSX shows one great thing as well when you installing applications – I could not believe it was this simple! In Windows there was always a long installation guide, which put a great deal of junk everywhere; shortcuts, auto start, and so on.

One more thing, I love the sleep mode, and that it jumps back again in a matter of seconds when I wake it up.

Final Words

To sum it up – I couldn’t be more happy with my choice to switch and of laptop. I’m already spoiled with the functionality and beauty of OSX and the PowerBook looks stunning and performs well. To all others who think about switching to a Mac – what are you waiting for? It just works.

I would also like to thank everybody here on MR for their answers when I've asked dumb or evidently easy questions!

Thank you! :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Nereus said:
I’ve finally taken the plunge into the Mac world. I’ve been using my new 15? PowerBook for almost a week now, and it doesn’t just look good, it does a great job as well. You could say that this is the reason why there have been a lot of Apple related posts on my site recently. This is the story of a recent switcher.
Congrats on switching. Welcome to the world of Mac!

Thanks for your story. It will be interesting to see how much time you really have to pursue what you want vice maintaining your PC.

Macs can truly be liberating. :D

Sushi

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Despite the standard argument against Windows of being to spyware/virus prone I believe that there are a lot of windows users out there who have been using windows for long enough now to be able to avoid these problems.

Having said that, I still believe that it is these, you might say more 'advanced users', who have just as much to gain in switching to the Mac platform as does the average Joe. A lot of windows users I think are just plane bored with the lack of innovation from MS and Apple is benefitting immensely from this. Not to mention beautiful hardware that comes from Apple as well.

However, I believe Apple will not see a significant jump in Market share until they make the Intel switch. Why? Simply because there are too many applications availalble for the windows platform that people are dependant on that prevent them from doing so.

Once the Intel switch is complete I think people will be able to choose Apple machines that are able to dual boot both Windows and OSX. Why would people not want the best of both worlds. And since Apple hardware will be the only hardware that is capable of running both platforms logic dicatates that professionals and consumers alike will make the Apple move.

However all this depends on Apple successfully being able to keep OSX from running on non-Apple hardware. If they aren't able to do so, the consequences for Apple's business model will be dire.

happy.buddha

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2005
New Hampshire
Nereus to be honest I thought I was alone in the world but by reading your initial post that could have been me writing the initial post...great post and great site :)

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
kkapoor said:
Despite the standard argument against Windows of being to spyware/virus prone I believe that there are a lot of windows users out there who have been using windows for long enough now to be able to avoid these problems.

Having said that, I still believe that it is these, you might say more 'advanced users', who have just as much to gain in switching to the Mac platform as does the average Joe. A lot of windows users I think are just plane bored with the lack of innovation from MS and Apple is benefitting immensely from this. Not to mention beautiful hardware that comes from Apple as well.

However, I believe Apple will not see a significant jump in Market share until they make the Intel switch. Why? Simply because there are too many applications availalble for the windows platform that people are dependant on that prevent them from doing so.

Once the Intel switch is complete I think people will be able to choose Apple machines that are able to dual boot both Windows and OSX. Why would people not want the best of both worlds. And since Apple hardware will be the only hardware that is capable of running both platforms logic dicatates that professionals and consumers alike will make the Apple move.

However all this depends on Apple successfully being able to keep OSX from running on non-Apple hardware. If they aren't able to do so, the consequences for Apple's business model will be dire.

I always just feel better using osx its kind of unexplainable it feels less like work and far more enjoyable

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Hey man great story, you feel the same way i did a month ago.
I never had a problem with spyware/virus either, i once got infected and did have to replace my hardrive, but i mean hardrives could fails for many reasons.. i decided to switch to learn a new comptuer experiance as well

the FIRST thing after i was set up, just like you, my powerbook deteceted the wireless interent! Keep in mind, we have the wireless set up but no1 uses the second computer, so i was astonished it worked..why was i astonished? B/c the day when my brother was about to beat me up unless i installed the stupid router for him, i was up for about 6-8 hrs trying to do so between the two windows comps, and about 2-3 of those hours calling up both D-link and SBC (isp)..

so when my mac detected the wireless connection.. i was just blown away!

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
My small story

I've always wanted a mac but they were too expensive until recently (like 1-2 years ago with osx release (imacs-ibooks-macmini))... I've been waiting for an apple computer to do music for almost 10 years.

Now, about games, who cares, the ps3 will own everything, and It will look quite nice beside my next mac.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Welcome!
Nereus said:
This decision was not so much about spyware, virus or security holes, but rather about approaching your computer with a different attitude. I was searching for a better computer experience basically.
That sums up what I tell hardcore Windows people all the time, "Think Different", but still do everythng you need to do. Unlike Linux, where the desktop environment and the apps are still only 90% there.

The spyware/virus/security thing is a nice bonus though. ;)

B

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
excellent posting from sweden, many thanks. may convince me to switch as well without waiting for the mactels ...

what machine did you work on before? desktop? size of screen?

whats your main work on the mac?

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
cyberone said:
excellent posting from sweden, many thanks. may convince me to switch as well without waiting for the mactels ...

what machine did you work on before? desktop? size of screen?

whats your main work on the mac?

Thank you all to the very warm welcome! And I'm glad you appreciate my site. Thanks!

I previously worked on a desktop, a Compaq Presario to be more precise. I have a 19" screen to it - you know the old CRT type, so I'm very happy to have a slim laptop in my desktop right know.

I'm a student so there will be a lot of word processing, and the usual stuff; browsing, checking mail, listening to music, photos etc.

But I will also use it for web-development; Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver etc.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
kkapoor said:

The same reason why Mercedes and BMW cars uses pixie gasoline; gasoline that is laced with trace elements of fairy dust! Oh wait, it doesn't happen that way. Come on, everyone knows OS X won't run on PCs because of artificial restrictions, it is not gonna make sales explode because all of a sudden people can dual boot Windows on macs.

The concept of dual booting exists for the most long time, I do not see it being used in most people systems though. Heck, much of the "Joe Sixpack" populace do not even know about "Windows" or "PC" or "Intel" or "Mac", to them it is just a computer, you turn it on, click on the "blue thing" for the "Internet" and the "envelope thing" for mail, and that is it.

They do not know about the existence of choices.

The only true solution will be when MacOS can run Windows binaries natively, and transparently to the user. Got some BFG 3000 game that "requires Windows 98/2000/XP"? Put it in.. MacOS starts the installer and the game installs seamlessly. Likewise for Microsoft Office (the old one they got from their Windows machine), and a whole lot of Windows apps... and Apple has a winner.

Doubt they will be able to pull it off though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.