iPad 3rd generation
iPad 2nd generation
iPad mini

Dropped:

iPhone 4
iPod touch 4th generation
iPhone 3GS

edit:
The source of this information is my own brain. If you think it's wrong let me know.

Shrink
May 13, 2013, 06:16 PM
Supported:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPod touch 5th generation
iPad 4th generation
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 2nd generation
iPad mini

Dropped:

iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS

Serious question...you know this how??:confused:

Am3r1ca16
May 13, 2013, 06:29 PM

ipod touch 4G and iPhone 3GS are definitely out.

nepalisherpa
May 13, 2013, 06:32 PM

He's an ANALyst like many others here!

.Asa
May 13, 2013, 07:11 PM

Common sense.

Shrink
May 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I'm an analyst. Common sense is how I know.

So your unsupported assertions have no empirical support of any kind.

It's an opinion...at best.

Chundles
May 13, 2013, 07:28 PM
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

5th Generation iPod touch

iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad 4
iPad mini

AppleTV 2
AppleTV 3

.Asa
May 13, 2013, 09:09 PM
So your unsupported assertions have no empirical support of any kind.

It's an opinion...at best.

So... how would you change it?

anirban1983
May 13, 2013, 10:58 PM
:mad:Supported:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPad 4th generation
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 2nd generation
iPad mini

Dropped:

iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS

edit:
The source of this information is my own brain. If you think it's wrong let me know.

Reach9
May 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
I just hope the 4S gets almost all of the features apart from the 5S specific one.

Paddle1
May 13, 2013, 11:32 PM
They won't drop the 4 yet, and there isn't really a reason to drop 3GS either...

MattInOz
May 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
They won't drop the 4 yet, and there isn't really a reason to drop 3GS either...

Yep,
all signs point to iPhone 4 being a massive part of the installed base.
How are they going to get 50% adoption in the first week without it?

Plus it seems could well be in the hands of lots of new customers (lower margins in the last earnings call). Customers who may not have owned a device in the past that had a successful OS update. More reason to make sure they experience the "Apple difference".

Shrink
May 14, 2013, 05:36 AM
So... how would you change it?

I wouldn't change it, as I have no idea at all the answer to the question.

I would do exactly what you have done with your "Edit"... that is, qualify my assertions as opinion.:D

adztaylor
May 14, 2013, 05:54 AM
iPhone 4 will probably get a scaled down version I should imagine.

cobbyco
May 14, 2013, 06:21 AM
The iPhone 4 and 4th gen iPod touch probably will get the update, but get minor features like the 3GS did for iOS 6. I don't see Apple dropping products they still sell new.

Actually I don't think Apple will drop the iPod touch 4th Gen until they get rid of the iPhone 4, despite the iPod's lack of RAM. They started selling the two products within months of each other and are considered the same generation, even if the iPod is much slower at normal tasks.

But say goodbye to the iPhone 3GS. That's pretty much 100% certain to go.

EDIT:Scrap the 4th gen touch, Apple don't sell it new anymore (although they still sell refurbished models...).

CptSky
May 14, 2013, 06:26 AM
The iPhone 3GS will be dropped for sure. It's the latest supported iPhone (iOS 6) without a Retina display. Apple will probably cut the non-retina support of iPhones in iOS 7 to "clean" the display profiles. Plus, the 3GS have less RAM and a slightly lower processor than the iPhone 4. I imagine that the iPhone 4 will still be supported (no longer sold as Apple will keep the 5S, 5, 4S), but without full features (like the 3GS with iOS 6).

mm201
May 14, 2013, 09:52 AM
To me it seems upgrades are provided based on install base. Seeing how there are a large number of iPhone 4s in service and Apple still sells the iPhone 4, it's almost certain it will receive the update.

yannoulecomte
May 14, 2013, 11:20 AM
Forget the iPhone 4 and the iPod 4. I Think apple's new softwares from now on require dual-core...

ThisIsNotMe
May 14, 2013, 03:29 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2zoxm43.jpg

No way the drop the 4. Hell I would bet they still support the 3GS.

Bear
May 15, 2013, 12:04 PM
Supported:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPad 4th generation
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 2nd generation
iPad mini

Dropped:

iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS
...My opinion is that everything you have on the supported list will be supported. From the dropped list, I only agree with the iPhone 3GS. Apple will get too much flack from not updating the OS on deivces they're currently selling. What will happen instead is that they will stop selling the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th gen and within a year you will stop getting software updates for those 2. Also, iOS 7 may add features that don't show up on all the older devices that are supported.

pod5g
May 15, 2013, 08:31 PM
Supported-
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPod touch 4G
iPod touch 5G
iPad 2
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad (4th generation)
iPad mini

Dropped-
iPhone 3GS

----------

Supported:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPad 4th generation
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 2nd generation
iPad mini

Dropped:

iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS

edit:

The iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G are still sold, so no, they will not be dropped.

.Asa
May 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
Forget the iPhone 4 and the iPod 4. I Think apple's new softwares from now on require dual-core...

I have an iPod touch 4g myself and feels sluggish as crap on running iOS 6. The 256 mb ram are the bottleneck for this device. Unless there are some serious efficiency improvements in iOS 7, I think it will be dropped. Remember the iPad 1 that didn't even get iOS 6.

The iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G are still sold, so no, they will not be dropped.

They're sold as of right now, but they probably won't be by the time iOS 7 is released.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 23, 2013, 09:26 AM
I have an iPod touch 4g myself and feels sluggish as crap on running iOS 6. The 256 mb ram are the bottleneck for this device. Unless there are some serious efficiency improvements in iOS 7, I think it will be dropped. Remember the iPad 1 that didn't even get iOS 6.

They're sold as of right now, but they probably won't be by the time iOS 7 is released.

Yes, but remember that the iPad 1 was discontinued in early 2011 (1.5 years before iOS 6).

Apple's general rule of thumb is that as long as the device is still being sold, give ONE major update. That's pretty much how it's been treated*. I think the iPhone 1 had a couple updates, but that's the biggest notable exception.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Apple handles the iPad 2/3 thing. The iPad 2 is still being sold, yet the 3 isn't... will they support the 2 longer?? My gut says no. But it's certainly interesting.

*I don't know about iPod touches. Honestly I couldn't care less about those. But that's how it's been for iPhones and iPads.

WhackyNinja
May 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
I dont think the iPod Touch 4G will be unsupported.

Abazigal
May 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
If they want app developers to design for the new interface, it makes sense to roll out the revised UI to all existing IOS devices to achieve a more uniform platform? Else, it would be weird to have half the devices still use the old interface while the other half having the newer one.

RickyB
May 25, 2013, 03:06 AM
Yes, but remember that the iPad 1 was discontinued in early 2011 (1.5 years before iOS 6).

Apple's general rule of thumb is that as long as the device is still being sold, give ONE major update. That's pretty much how it's been treated*. I think the iPhone 1 had a couple updates, but that's the biggest notable exception.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Apple handles the iPad 2/3 thing. The iPad 2 is still being sold, yet the 3 isn't... will they support the 2 longer?? My gut says no. But it's certainly interesting.

*I don't know about iPod touches. Honestly I couldn't care less about those. But that's how it's been for iPhones and iPads.

The 3GS came with iPhone OS 3 and still runs the latest version of iOS 6. That's 3 major updates.

iOS 7 will run on iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4, ipad 2 and newer as these are still being sold.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 25, 2013, 02:16 PM
The 3GS came with iPhone OS 3 and still runs the latest version of iOS 6. That's 3 major updates.

iOS 7 will run on iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4, ipad 2 and newer as these are still being sold.

*facepalm*

I don't understand how you did it, but somehow you did. And it was amazing. You managed to completely misunderstand my post and then proceed to giving a prediction using the very same concept that you just misunderstood all in the same post.... :confused:

I said as long as the device is still being sold, give ONE major update. Soo... The 3GS was sold until last October, therefore it needed to receive iOS 6 just in the exact same way that the 4 will be updated to iOS7.

blesio
May 25, 2013, 02:47 PM
He forgot to mention:

iPhone 5S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6S
iPhone 6DS (da speed)

And of course the iPad 5 and mini 2 :p

jacobss
May 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
iPhone 4 will not be dropped, they won't suddenly drop the 3GS and 4 at the same time. 4 will be dropped when iOS 8 comes.

chrf097
May 25, 2013, 04:26 PM
FULL SUPPORT:
Next Generation iPhone
Next Generation iPad
Next Generation iPad mini
Next Generation iPod touch
iPhone 5
iPod touch (5th generation)
iPad (4th generation)
iPad mini
iPhone 4S
iPad (3rd generation)
Apple TV3

LIMITED SUPPORT:
iPhone 4
iPad 2
Apple TV2

DROPPED:
iPod touch (4th generation)
iPhone 3GS

Geekola
May 25, 2013, 09:58 PM
Remember, the iPad Mini has the same components as the iPad 2. If they drop or reduce features on the iPad 2, they have to do the same with the Mini as well. Which is most likely not going to happen.

RickyB
May 26, 2013, 04:12 AM
*facepalm*

I don't understand how you did it, but somehow you did. And it was amazing. You managed to completely misunderstand my post and then proceed to giving a prediction using the very same concept that you just misunderstood all in the same post.... :confused:

I said Soo... The 3GS was sold until last October, therefore it needed to receive iOS 6 just in the exact same way that the 4 will be updated to iOS7.

You said "as long as the device is still being sold, give ONE major update"

Did you mean to say "after the device has been removed from sale, give ONE major update"?

RickyB
May 26, 2013, 04:23 AM
DROPPED:

They still sell that. Even if they drop it, I imagine they'll still give it the update.

justperry
May 26, 2013, 04:35 AM
People, don't forget that the 3GS IS still sold in Asia, I have one and can still buy them new here.(About $299)
Dependable on how iOS is I might like it or jump of joy if it is completely crap.

I do think they will update the UI on most of the iPhones, including the 3GS.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 26, 2013, 09:09 PM
You said "as long as the device is still being sold, give ONE major update"

Did you mean to say "after the device has been removed from sale, give ONE major update"?

Both. They are identical in meaning. However, the second phrase could cause a bit of confusion in some circumstances I think.

What I'm saying is that every single iPhone 3GS sold by Apple will be able to receive (at minimum) one update. So an iPhone 3GS was never bought (from apple) with iOS 6 pre-installed.

brendu
May 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
iPhone 4 will get it just like iPhone 3GS got iOS 6. iPod touch 4th gen MIGHT but ram could be a limiting factor there.

jbenkelman
May 26, 2013, 10:28 PM
I sure hope they bring back support for the Original iPad...

I got the short end of that stick.

RickyB
May 27, 2013, 04:10 AM
Both. They are identical in meaning..

Look, please read carefully what you've written. Your phrase means that a device only gets one major update whilst it is available for purchase. My phrase means that a device only gets one major update after it has been discontinued. It seems that you meant the latter.

Secondly, all that facepalm nonsense of yours just looks a bit silly, especially when you haven't made yourself clear.

.Asa
May 27, 2013, 07:04 PM
They still sell that. Even if they drop it, I imagine they'll still give it the update.

I'm confused :confused:

RickyB
May 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
I'm confused :confused:

They still sell the iPod touch 4G alongside the 5G. Even if they drop this model this year , it'll still get the iOS update.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
They still sell the iPod touch 4G alongside the 5G. Even if they drop this model this year , it'll still get the iOS update.

Oh, so do you mean that because they are still selling the device, that model will get an iOS update?? What a novel concept... :rolleyes:

fivedots
May 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
iPhone 4 will probably get a scaled down version I should imagine.

I would agree with this. They will not outright drop the iPhone 4, but rather give them a taste of any UI changes and some features which will inspire them to upgrade sooner rather than later. The goal will be to dangle the carrot.

xcvista
May 30, 2013, 10:06 PM

Here is how: latest devices are all supported for certain, hence iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 5 and iPad mini 1.

Then, iPad mini are essentially size-shrinked iPad 2, hence iPad 2 supported with iPad mini. Likely, iPod touch 5 are iPhone 4S sans the 3G/GPS module (which even on iPhone 4S are not an integral part of the logic board either) so supported likely. Not to mention both devices are still in sales.

Sales of iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 are very likely ended by this WWDC. By previous experiences, iOS 7 will still support then, albeit very limited.

And iPhone 3GS are probably dropped due to seriously outdated hardware.

The last interesting part is iPad 3, which is sort of awkward - pushed out of sales by iPad 4 while iPad 2 hanged on. However being no worse than iPad 2 in hardware, it is likely supported too.

Am3r1ca16
May 31, 2013, 11:35 AM

Not anymore the iPod touch 4G just got discontinued

Why does every still argue if te iPhone 3GS is getting a update?

Apple said it a long time ago that iOS 6 was going to be the last major update!

RickyB
May 31, 2013, 06:19 PM
Not anymore the iPod touch 4G just got discontinued

Very true. They might use it as an excuse to discontinue support for it now.

Why does every still argue if te iPhone 3GS is getting a update?

Apple said it a long time ago that iOS 6 was going to be the last major update!

Have they actually said that?
Whether they have or not, you're right - the 3GS won't get an update.

pod5g
May 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
Remember, the iPad Mini has the same components as the iPad 2. If they drop or reduce features on the iPad 2, they have to do the same with the Mini as well. Which is most likely not going to happen.

No, they don't. For example, look at the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. Both have 512 MB of RAM and the A5 processor, the 4S even has a Retina display, but only the 4S got Siri. The iPad mini has Siri while the iPad 2 doesn't. Apple will focus more on the iPad mini (late 2012) than the iPad 2 (mid-2011).

----------

They dropped the 4G before WWDC, hence no update.

Nicky Houghes
Jun 2, 2013, 08:55 AM
COMPATIBLE:
iPhone 5S
iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPad mini 2
iPad mini
iPad 5
iPad 4
iPad 3
iPod touch (6th generation)

INCOMPATIBLE:
iPhone 3GS
iPad 2

AQUADock
Jun 2, 2013, 09:00 AM
COMPATIBLE:
iPhone 5S
iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPad mini 2
iPad mini
iPad 5
iPad 4
iPad 3
iPod touch (6th generation)

INCOMPATIBLE:
iPhone 3GS
iPad 2

Why would the iPad 2 be incompatible? It has the same processor and RAM as the iPad mini and its still being sold, i doubt that apple would still sell hardware that doesn't run their latest software.

tann
Jun 2, 2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe iOS 7 runs best on the A5 chip. Meaning it would sort of make sense to drop the iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen and 3GS.

I still think there is a chance the 4 will get some of the improvements but lack a lot (like the 3GS did).

irDigital0l
Jun 2, 2013, 01:05 PM
iPhone 4 or newer
iPad mini
iPad 2 or newer

Skika
Jun 3, 2013, 08:14 AM
iPhone 4 or newer
iPad mini
iPad 2 or newer

This makes sense.

chekz0414
Jun 3, 2013, 10:01 AM
Based on the rumors of features and the discontinuing of the iPod touch 4th gen. I can determine this iOS 7 full support at WWDC will be:

iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th gen, iPad 4th gen. and iPad mini

Limited support will be:

iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPad 3.

I say this because the devices with FULL support would also support AirDrop for iOS, due to the broader dual band Wi-Fi, which aren't in the limited support devices. Other features like the design, Flickr and Vimeo, and iRadio will be on the limited support devices. Dropped devices will be the 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen, based on the discontinuation of the 4th gen, for an A5 device, This could mean the A5 will have a longer lifespan and start to be limited around iOS 8.