PDA

View Full Version : PPCs blocked out of Skype for good

EddieX
May 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
I use an old iBook G3 (!) for watching videos, a little surfing and sometimes skyping. When I launched Skype recently, the program started, and as the contacts appeared, a window came up that said: "A new version of Skype is now available, 6.3.0.602, which you must download and install if you want to continue using Skype", or something like that. This had also happened on my main Mac, and when I downloaded it had bugs. Nevertheless, once I had installed the new program, I was able to use one of the old ones on the newer Mac. However, this new program does not run on PPCs, one can download it but not install it, which means that, effectively, one cannot use Skype on PPCs anymore. Any thoughts/solutions?

AnonMac50
May 14, 2013, 10:38 AM
Thoughts? I dislike this. Solutions? Sorry, I don't have any :(:mad:

rjcalifornia
May 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
I use an old iBook G3 (!) for watching videos, a little surfing and sometimes skyping. When I launched Skype recently, the program started, and as the contacts appeared, a window came up that said: "A new version of Skype is now available, 6.3.0.602, which you must download and install if you want to continue using Skype", or something like that. This had also happened on my main Mac, and when I downloaded it had bugs. Nevertheless, once I had installed the new program, I was able to use one of the old ones on the newer Mac. However, this new program does not run on PPCs, one can download it but not install it, which means that, effectively, one cannot use Skype on PPCs anymore. Any thoughts/solutions?

huh? Skype works still on my ibook G4.

alphaod
May 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
This is not surprising at all.

Dhack21
May 14, 2013, 12:00 PM
I logged in on my MDD earlier today. I'll check the version number in a bit.

EddieX
May 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
huh? Skype works still on my ibook G4.

Would you happen to be running version 5.3.59.1093 ?

eyoungren
May 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
Uhm…so let me get this straight. You were notified that you had to update and even after knowing that Skype dropped PowerPC a few years back you went ahead and updated? You didn't realize that you'd end up with an Intel version of Skype?

2.8.0.866 is the last PowerPC version. I just logged in, put myself online and no issues. And NO warnings about Skype tossing me out because my Mac happens to be PowerPC. Of course, in my Skype preferences I have "Check for updates automatically" unchecked.

PowerPC is not "blocked." It is no longer supported and has not been for some time. But it's not blocked.

Starfighter
May 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
Which means, EddieX, the solution you asked for is as simple as uninstalling Skype and installing version 2.8.0.866 (http://www.macupdate.com/download/45198/Skype_2.8.0.866.dmg) instead. Then you should be good to go again.

rjcalifornia
May 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Would you happen to be running version 5.3.59.1093 ?

Skype works with no issues. We're not blocked, just not supported. However, the good folks at Skype still allows us to connect with such version.

ConfusedBatman
May 14, 2013, 07:44 PM
Pfft, new Mac Skype sucks anyway compared to Windows. I use a Mac, I love it, not trying to troll, but when I used windows the skype on Windows was WAAAAAAY better then Mac Skype. It feels half assed.

----------

**** I didn't read the OP, try an older version?

Lil Chillbil
May 14, 2013, 07:48 PM
Pfft, new Mac Skype sucks anyway compared to Windows. I use a Mac, I love it, not trying to troll, but when I used windows the skype on Windows was WAAAAAAY better then Mac Skype. It feels half assed.

----------

**** I didn't read the OP, try an older version?

I can't help but feel that that was trolling? you come into the powerpc section thinking that were talking about windows?

http://ashleyfmiller.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/memes-cant-tell-if-trolling.jpg

ConfusedBatman
May 14, 2013, 08:01 PM
I can't help but feel that that was trolling? you come into the powerpc section thinking that were talking about windows?

Image (http://ashleyfmiller.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/memes-cant-tell-if-trolling.jpg)

I was saying modern Mac skype sucks compared to modern windows skype, dude. I was saying there's NO POINT in the new Mac Skype version because it sucks.

g4manimac
May 14, 2013, 09:54 PM
Everyone has preferences I guess,I don't Skype that much anyways I just thought it really got DROPPED.I love hearing about windows on macrumors LOL NO SOLICITING

Lil Chillbil
May 14, 2013, 10:38 PM
I was saying modern Mac skype sucks compared to modern windows skype, dude. I was saying there's NO POINT in the new Mac Skype version because it sucks.

Defensive Much?

rjcalifornia
May 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
Everyone has preferences I guess,I don't Skype that much anyways I just thought it really got DROPPED.I love hearing about windows on macrumors LOL NO SOLICITING

I have to, either for business or interviews.

EddieX
May 15, 2013, 03:23 AM
Uhm…so let me get this straight. You were notified that you had to update and even after knowing that Skype dropped PowerPC a few years back you went ahead and updated? You didn't realize that you'd end up with an Intel version of Skype?

2.8.0.866 is the last PowerPC version. I just logged in, put myself online and no issues. And NO warnings about Skype tossing me out because my Mac happens to be PowerPC. Of course, in my Skype preferences I have "Check for updates automatically" unchecked.

PowerPC is not "blocked." It is no longer supported and has not been for some time. But it's not blocked.

Nope. I was running a pre-2.8.0.866 version, and I unchecked automatic updates. What I did do was download the version to which the notification referred (it wasn't an automatic update, it demanded a manual update), knowing that I wouldn't be able to run it, but hoping that its presence would mean that, upon detection, the notification would not appear when I ran the pre-2.8.0.866 version. But thanks for the info on your status, it's useful to know you can run skype with no problems, I'll have to try something else.

----------

Which means, EddieX, the solution you asked for is as simple as uninstalling Skype and installing version 2.8.0.866 (http://www.macupdate.com/download/45198/Skype_2.8.0.866.dmg) instead. Then you should be good to go again.

Yes, I went through my files and deleted everything remotely having to do with skype, and after this I installed 2.8.0.866 (thanks for the link, btw, that was thoughtful of you), and got it running smoothly. Thanks for the help!

kalel77
Jun 1, 2013, 02:31 AM
Videochat off now here with Skype 2.8.
It's simply incredible that a huge community of mac users in the world, that still using their old macs, can't use videchat anymore.
It will be ok if old pcs could not use old Skype version with videochat as same of old mac users, BUT, for some UNEXPLAINED reason, old pc with old os version as XP for example still get the latest version with all the features working.
Now, if skype team still working and supporting these version of operating system and old pc WHY, they cut out a version feature that, unitl now, was working SIMPLY GREAT on old macs?
So disappointing...

Wildy
Jun 1, 2013, 07:11 AM
I use this open-source alternative for video calls (Mac, Windows, Linux, Android): https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36398/jitsi

kalel77
Jun 2, 2013, 03:27 AM
I use this open-source alternative for video calls (Mac, Windows, Linux, Android): https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36398/jitsi

Just downloaded, i have to check it out