Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
What can you find out with the ipad serial number other than what kind of iPad and size? I'm selling mine and someone on Craigslist asked for the serial number. If I gave it to them can they find out who I am or when and where it was bought? I just don't want them knowing my personal information.
Thanks

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Well, interesting question and not sure that I can add much but just want to join the thread to see the responses - :)

If you registered your iPad, then Apple should only know the information that concerns you, so unless the 'potential buyer' has broken into Apple's servers, I doubt that you are at risk; of course, I'm assuming that you will reset the iPad back to 'factory settings' when sold - the serial number will still be available (it's like a SSN).

NOW, this is an interesting SITE - by entering the last 3 or 4 characters of the serial number, the 'basic' information of the iPad will appear (for myself I enter the last 4 characters which returned the basics) - you might want to just provide that information?

Will await further replies and please post back your progress in this sale - Dave

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
In addition to the model, your iPad's serial will give warranty/AppleCare coverage status. The buyer likely just wants to make sure you're not lying.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
The only thing they can get from a serial number is the model, color, size, factory of origin, build date and stuff like that. As stated, if they are just trying to verify your warranty status, they can input the serial number into apples website to see date of purchase and time left under warranty. They won't be able to find out who you are or where you live. Try it yourself. Type in your serial under "coverage status" on the right.

https://expresslane.apple.com/Issues.action

Or try here too....which is pretty cool info.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.