PDA

View Full Version : USB app for iPad

iCliff
May 15, 2013, 08:40 AM
HI Guys,

Im new to the forum and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of an app that allows you to connect your ipad/iphone via usb to a PC and it can get reconised as a USB device.

Many Thanks

RadDave
May 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
Sorry iCliff - the stock iPad does not offer that functionality - :(

The CCK (Camera Connection Kit) permits plugging in a digital camera (DC) or a DC SD card to transfer you images to the iPad. One of the two components of the CCK has a USB plug-in but standard USB drives/devices will not function w/ the iPad.

Now when you sync to iTunes on a computer - 'some' of the programs permit file transfer. Also there are now a number of wireless storage devices & cloud options that allow transfer of certain files - in addition, programs like iFunBox may provide some cross-platform file manipulation - hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ experience using these options.

You might want to tells us your needs in trying to make this USB connection - maybe there are alternatives - good luck! :)

Menneisyys2
May 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
HI Guys,

Im new to the forum and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of an app that allows you to connect your ipad/iphone via usb to a PC and it can get reconised as a USB device.

Many Thanks

1, you in no way can make the file system act as a USB drive. This isn't Android / Symbian / WP8, unfortunately. All you can have is read-only Camera Roll access under Windows 7+ in Explorer and Image Capture under OS X, as far as built-in stock OS apps are concerned.

2, you must, therefore, have a desktop-side component for file access: iFunbox, iExplorer etc.

3, the only way of "transferring" the FS of iOS to a FAT32-alike one has been a JB tweak, which is REALLY-REALLY slow. I benchmarked it pretty thoroughly and found it pretty much useless for transferring more, say, than 2-3 Mbytes. Furthermore, it doesn't give you access to the entire FS but requires a partition on its own, which, then, further decreases the built-in storage memory of the iDevice.

TJ61
May 15, 2013, 11:23 AM
On the slim chance that all you want is to transfer pictures taken with the device to your PC, just plug it in with the usb cable. The device will show up under My Computer, where you can open it and get to the DCIM folder.

You can't transfer anything TO the iDevice this way, and you'll only see the DCIM folder.

Regards,
Tom

pagansoul
May 17, 2013, 01:53 PM
What are you needing your ipad to be? A hard drive? You would do better to get a mini HD from someone like Seagate and use their SeagateMedia/GoFlex app to store additional movies/records and you can beam the files to your pad to view.

I do not work for Seagate but I love this app.

Description

The SeagateŽ Media™ app gives you easy access to all the photos, videos, music and documents stored on Seagate Wireless Plus, Seagate Central or GoFlex Satellite™ storage devices. To connect to Seagate Wireless Plus or GoFlex Satellite, simply turn on your device and choose the “Seagate Wireless” network from your device's Wi-Fi settings. You can access Seagate Central when connected to your home Wi-Fi network. Choose one of the options from the drop down menu to view your media by category (Videos, Photos, Music or Documents) and then navigate your media library with a traditional file/folder view or choose a visual experience that can include cover art (music & videos) and photo thumbnails.

Seagate Wireless drives create their own Wi-Fi network, so your mobile device can connect directly and stream media without an Internet connection. Videos stream and play with the default media player on your mobile device for a familiar experience. With the option to open files with other apps installed on your mobile device, you can play/view content that isn’t supported by default in iOS. The Seagate Media app also enables you to upload photos, videos and other files from your mobile device to your Seagate Wireless or Seagate Central drive in full resolution and quality, perfect for offloading files to free up space on your Seagate device or keeping an extra back copy*.

Access your media and the Internet at the same time. Seagate Wireless drives can connect to a nearby Wi-Fi network, such as a coffee shop hotspot or your home router and pass through the Internet connection to your mobile device. This enables you to multitask and do things like stream music from a Seagate Wireless drive and check email at the same time.

This app requires a Seagate Wireless Plus, Seagate Central or GoFlex Satellite storage device.

opinio
May 19, 2013, 04:53 AM
Hyper shop may help. They give you the ability to connect to a hard drive if that is what you need?

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

RadDave
May 19, 2013, 09:54 AM
Hyper shop may help. They give you the ability to connect to a hard drive if that is what you need?

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

Yes, that company brought out a product in the past called Cloud FTP, which generated a lot of interest a while back on the iPad Forums. Since that time the product has been renamed iUSBport (Information HERE (http://www.hypershop.com/v/iUSBport-by-HyperDrive-formerly-CloudFTP-s.html)) - I would be curious if anyone has bought this newer named version and can elaborate on its features - thanks. :)