PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma




n1tut
May 15, 2013, 12:08 PM
I realise that there are plenty of new posts on the new 2013 MacBook Air, and what features it will have, but i have an unusual situation at present.

I was burgled a few weeks ago and my basic 2010 11" was stolen. They are now replacing it, but the company does not have an 11" in stock, so are sending me a new 13" 4gb/128gb. I realise this is a good deal, but I bought the smaller one for size and weight so the larger one may not be an ideal swap.

The dilemma is we are all expecting the new 2013 model next month, and although the 2012 will suit me fine after the 2010 and I do not expect there will be any significant changes on the 11", from expectancies it looks as if the 13" could have a Retina screen, and high resolution is one of the most important aspects to me.

However as they can not supply an 11" at present, they will send me the 13", and as long as I do not open it, I can send it back and ask for an 11", which means I can wait and see what the new models spec will be and whether it is worth changing over, as long as it is released next month. If not then no decision necessary.

Not a bad position to be in, I have an iPad so can do without the Air for a few more weeks. I think this is the best bet, but if I have missed anything then quite happy with suggestions.

Cheers

tut



B...
May 15, 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't think the 13" will get Retina this year. That is an amazing deal from the insurance company and I would gladly accept it. However, if you REALLY want the 11", there is no harm in waiting.

SMDBill
May 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
Sounds like a great dilemma to be in!!

Mrbobb
May 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
If u don't get what you need, then it's NOT a good deal, but I suppose u can turn around and sell the 13" and re-purchase the 11" that you want + a little hassle.

No idea how U.K. insurance works, so no comment there.

n1tut
May 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys, as said not a bad position to be in, so can afford to wait for the announcement if there is indeed one, then take it from there.

In the meantime I will take a friends 11" down to my Aberdeen Apple Store and compare it to a 13", as I have never had hands on one.

Cheers

tut

DisplacedMic
May 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
you could postpone as long as possible, take the "Free" machine and then sell it unopened when and if you decide it's not what you want?

Mrbobb
May 15, 2013, 01:09 PM
Sounds like you are making assumption they are giving you a brand new 2012 or 2013 machine, is that right? No chance is a 2011 refurb is it?

DisplacedMic
May 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
Sounds like you are making assumption they are giving you a brand new 2012 or 2013 machine, is that right? No chance is a 2011 refurb is it?

it's europe - they just print money over there and buy him a new one.
my brother in law gets a new iphone every year when he loses or breaks it...

/ducks

:D

n1tut
May 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
Yes it will be a brand new 2013 machine, here in three days, but not of course a 2013 model.

tut

Ifti
May 16, 2013, 02:50 AM
Give me a shout if you consider selling it ;)