PDA

View Full Version : My First Mac

Alone2Gether
Oct 29, 2005, 08:07 PM
Hello fellow Mac users. Iíve been browsing though this forum since summer. As I was headed off to college, I decided to purchase a laptop instead of bring my behemoth desktop. My first thought was a Windows based laptop because Iíve become very familiar with it. As I was browsing through the Apple store website checking out the iPod Photo, the Powerbook caught my eyes. I researched a little bit and I was amazed by the design and most importantly, OS X. There are virtually no viruses and spyware to scan for which was once a month and once a week on the Windows respectively. Also, no blue screen of death!

So I decided to purchase a Powerbook and learn a new platform. Before purchasing, I browsed through many Mac forums and get a feel about how everyone else thought about it. This is how I found Mac Rumors.

There were rumors speculating about a Powerbook update so I held off the purchase. I didnít need it right away and besides, I was going to study mechanical engineering. Pro/Engineer is not Mac compatible. Oh well, Iím also interested in audio, video, and photo editing, which is one of Macís strong points.

So I waited and waited. The weeks leading up to and after Apple Pairs event was the most excruciating for me because rumor sites were saying Powerbook updates. Then came October 19st. I was leaping for joy when I found out that the updates came out. At 12:41pm, I purchased the 17Ē Powerbook with the 100GB 7200RPM HD. I could not wait!

I came home from college yesterday evening and that 10 page essay due on Monday was not even on my mind. I calibrated the battery and have been playing with it all day today. This is my first Mac and I LOVE IT. Just wished I switched sooner. I experienced unpacking an Apple product and it felt great.

Everything is running very smoothly right now and Iím planning on installing an additional gig of ram in it. I totally dig the idea of clicking and dragging.

Everything just looks so much nice on a Mac, maybe itís because Iím mesmerized by the design. :p

Sorry for my rambling but enjoy the picturesÖ

igucl
Oct 29, 2005, 08:23 PM
It is beautiful. Congratulations and welcome to the community.

iEdd
Oct 29, 2005, 08:25 PM
Nice. I want to do Mechatronic Engineering in about 4 years time. If by pro/engineer you mean the software by PTC, I was disappointed about there being no mac version of their pro/desktop. They do support macs with Pro/Concept though. http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/proconcept2.htm

Winstonp
Oct 29, 2005, 08:26 PM
we have been expecting you Alone2Gether...welcome...welcome...

Lacero
Oct 29, 2005, 08:26 PM
What is that hideous thingie to the left of the beautiful PB?

Winstonp
Oct 29, 2005, 08:28 PM
looks like something with a smaller video card that can actually play video games!

Alone2Gether
Oct 29, 2005, 08:33 PM
Because I'm such a nice guy, I installed Norton on my Mac so I can spare my fellow windows users from viruses. Such as that THING to the left.

and more pictures...

PCheese
Oct 29, 2005, 11:49 PM
Because I'm such a nice guy, I installed Norton on my Mac so I can spare my fellow windows users from viruses..

Hmm. Virtually all Windows users have their own antivirus now, so I don't think you're helping them all that much...

If you ever have issues with your PowerBook, Norton should be one of the first suspects. It likes to mess with your system. Though you should be fine, keep an eye out for it.

disconap
Oct 30, 2005, 12:18 AM
My first mac was a Performa 6200. It's rated as one of the worst machines they ever made, but I used it up until I bought my first tower (a Sawtooth G4) and never had any problems (of course, I never left OS 7). I came from an Apple //c, so it would have been very difficult for me not to be satisfied...

And my two cents on Norton: avoid anything in their product line in OSX. I've encountered insane problems with it, and I am still yet to hear of a virus that effects OSX, so I don't even bother with virus protection (all our PCs are offline, and our servers are not in-house, they're managed by another company).

thedude110
Oct 30, 2005, 12:35 AM
Hmm. Virtually all Windows users have their own antivirus now, so I don't think you're helping them all that much...

You would think so, but back in my ITing days on a college campus (hard to believe that was just a year ago), we would get about 10 Windows "users" per week who would show up at the Help Desk without Anti-Virus.

Windows is for technicians what a funeral home is for an entrepreneur -- steady work.:D

p0intblank
Oct 30, 2005, 12:53 AM
Look at that resolution! :o Congrats on your new PowerBook. I also have the 17-inch model, but your specs are better. :p It's still a beast, though!

slooksterPSV
Oct 30, 2005, 01:11 AM
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Gotta love new Apple computers. Did you get the "New Apple" smell from it? lol

Chrispy
Oct 30, 2005, 01:36 AM
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Gotta love new Apple computers. Did you get the "New Apple" smell from it? lol

I actually sniffed my computer when I got it because I love that smell. The one thing that bugs me about powerbooks is the upper left part of the screen doesn't get as much backlight as the rest of it. You can even see it in your pictures... but it seems to be very very very common as all of my 15" powerbooks have had the same anomaly. Still, very sexy machine :)

Deepdale
Oct 30, 2005, 01:37 AM
This is my first Mac and I LOVE IT. Just wished I switched sooner. I experienced unpacking an Apple product and it felt great. Everything just looks so much nice on a Mac, maybe itís because Iím mesmerized by the design.[QUOTE]

Thanks for your post ... it looks great and you made a choice that will keep you ahead of the curve.

[QUOTE]Sorry for my rambling but enjoy the picturesÖ

Looking at such pics is how people get a powerful case of PB envy.

wattage
Oct 30, 2005, 01:48 AM
Such as that THING to the left.

and more pictures...

Anyone notice something funny on the right hand side of those pictures??

slooksterPSV
Oct 30, 2005, 01:49 AM
I actually sniffed my computer when I got it because I love that smell. The one thing that bugs me about powerbooks is the upper left part of the screen doesn't get as much backlight as the rest of it. You can even see it in your pictures... but it seems to be very very very common as all of my 15" powerbooks have had the same anomaly. Still, very sexy machine :)
You know that's the computer I wanted originally, but I got the iBook 12" G3 and I loved it, so I went with a brand new iB 12" G4 ... see siggy

FFTT
Oct 30, 2005, 01:58 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful new machine and welcome!

We generally advise Mac users NOT to use Nortons.

It's not necessary to protect your machine and it's a horrible CPU hog.

Otherwise, you might try free ClamXav.

McAfee is also having issues with excessive CPU hogging lately.

I'm still using McAfee Virex 7.2 and that's never once found
any malware in over 7 years.

The best way to protect your system is to set up a secondary
superuser account for all your normal daily functions and leave
any installations or maintenance to you primary adminitrative account.

If you prefer to configure your own firewall settings,
The three most popular personal firewall apps are
Little Snitch, IPNetSentry and NetBarrier .

Alone2Gether
Oct 30, 2005, 01:54 PM
I installed ClamXAV but I have a question...Does it automatically start at startup or do I have to start it?

I've also purchased NetBarrier. I like to have more control of th firewall.

Subliving
Oct 30, 2005, 04:52 PM
Grats on the new PowerBook. I'm not allowed to get mine until at least the first round of Intels are available.

*Jealous*

Subliving