PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION: New 17" PowerBook Problems

BWhaler
Oct 29, 2005, 09:26 PM
I have just purchased the new, 17" PowerBook, and I must pass along two serious issues to be aware of.

1. The new 17" PowerBooks have the LookupD issue which drops airport connections and spikes CPU use so the computer grinds to a halt. This only happens with PowerBooks with over 1 GB of installed memory

The only way to "fix" it is to reboot. The only permanent "fix" is to remove memory to stay at 1 MB. This has been an issue with some of the last generation iBooks with the same memory configuration.

2. There are many reports that screens will sporadically "freak out" in the bottom third for a split second. Apparently, turning off the option to adjust the screen to ambiant lighting fixes this problem (although there is some debate.)

It appears both of these issues are software issues which (HOPEFULLY) will be fixed soon by Apple. (Although I am nervous given the fact that this issue has been around on the iBook for a year.)

I love the new PowerBook. I upgraded from the Rev B 17", so the speed and screen are amazing.

But I wish I had known about these issues before hand. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I noticed them both myself within the first 30 minutes of using my new Mac that I went and did the research on macfixit and the Apple boards.

So, please proceed with some measured caution. Not everyone is reporting these problems, of course. And given this is Apple's high end PowerBook, I am optimistic that there will be a software fix for people like me. Hopefully in 10.4.3.

BW

mad jew
Oct 29, 2005, 09:29 PM
Is it 1MB of memory or 1GB?

It's not really good enough either way. Hopefully the fix will be along soon. :)

BWhaler
Oct 29, 2005, 09:38 PM
Is it 1MB of memory or 1GB?

It's not really good enough either way. Hopefully the fix will be along soon. :)

Sorry, it is more than 1GB of memory.

1 gig and below, and there is no problem.

Alone2Gether
Oct 29, 2005, 10:14 PM
trouble free on my 17" so far.

*fingers crossed*

joepunk
Oct 29, 2005, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear of the troubles on your new PB. Hopefully things work out with any fixes.

MtnMona
Oct 30, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'm new to this forum but wanted to weigh in on the new PB. My screen also has the glitch that was reported here, where does one report this? Do I call Apple?
Also, my dock won't recognize the genie effect, anyone else having this problem?

carpe diem
Oct 30, 2005, 10:38 AM
so is 1 GB ok?

w_parietti22
Oct 30, 2005, 10:54 AM
so is 1 GB ok?

yep, its 1gb and below that is fine.

yoda13
Oct 30, 2005, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope they get that airport thing straigtened out for you, and the screen as well. Good luck, mate.:)

zap2
Oct 30, 2005, 11:03 AM
good thing we only going to have 512mbs(she is really not a power user) on my Mom's new PB 17'':) i guess if Apple never fixed that problem we will also have space to upgrade:p

eisa01
Oct 30, 2005, 12:27 PM
This is a problem with the new 15" models too.

I'm pissed, who wanna sue? :mad:

icecold336
Oct 30, 2005, 01:16 PM
My 15" powerbook doesn't have the same problem, however it has a similar problem, I can't walk more then 20-30 feet from any wireless router and I lose my signal, in fact right now I am sitting 2 feet from it and I still don't have full range, I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem short of pulling the computer apart which I am not about to do. The other problem I have is that when running off the battery when it gets down to the point where it warns me it will go to sleep soon because the battery is low, it doesn't go to sleep it just goes until the battery is completely dead and then shuts off.

eisa01
Oct 30, 2005, 01:33 PM
My 15" powerbook doesn't have the same problem,
It only happens if you have use more than ~1 GB of the memory.

You can check this by opening activity monitor, and observe the cpu usage of kernel_task. When you reach a critical point somewhere above 1 GB used memory, that task will start hogging the CPU.

icecold336
Oct 30, 2005, 01:48 PM
It only happens if you have use more than ~1 GB of the memory.

I know, that is why I said I don't have the same problem, I have 1 gig of ram so I won't experience the exact same problem you guys are having, I'm just saying that I am having problems with airport even though I don't have over a gig of ram...

From what I have read, over 1 gig of ram causes loss of airport and the cpu to go nuts, which renders the computer useless until restart. The problem with my pb is that my airport signal is very weak, no matter where I am I can't go more then 25 feet or so from any given wireless access point.

Ultimately I'm just mentioning my problem on this thread because I seem to be alone with regards to my specific problem and I just wanted to vent to people having problems somewhat similar to my own.:(

eisa01
Oct 30, 2005, 01:53 PM
Ah, ok. I'm a bit upset so I have a hard time understanding other people right now :p

I'm running with 1 GB ram myself now, and it works just fine. I haven't checked the range yet, as my house is a bit small. But I wouldn't be surprised if the range is poor..

groovebuster
Oct 30, 2005, 01:56 PM
My 15" powerbook doesn't have the same problem, however it has a similar problem, I can't walk more then 20-30 feet from any wireless router and I lose my signal, in fact right now I am sitting 2 feet from it and I still don't have full range, I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem short of pulling the computer apart which I am not about to do. The other problem I have is that when running off the battery when it gets down to the point where it warns me it will go to sleep soon because the battery is low, it doesn't go to sleep it just goes until the battery is completely dead and then shuts off.
Check if the antenna cable is connected correctly to the airport card. My father had exactly the same issue with his iBook and it turned out that the cable wasn't plugged correctly. That was all.

Good luck.

groovebuster

BWhaler
Oct 30, 2005, 07:42 PM
Well, as a follow-up, I decided to call Apple and get it fixed.

The airport and screen flicker issues are most likely software based.

But the uneven backlighting is pure hardware.

Fingers crossed I get a new Mac which works.

Chrispy
Oct 30, 2005, 07:58 PM
Well, as a follow-up, I decided to call Apple and get it fixed.

The airport and screen flicker issues are most likely software based.

But the uneven backlighting is pure hardware.

Fingers crossed I get a new Mac which works.

The uneven backlighting issue exists in the 15" model as well. Where is your screen noticeably darker? Mine was in the upper left corner.

Koodauw
Oct 30, 2005, 08:00 PM
Can someone else explain this > 1 GB of memory issue to me?

I currently have 1.25 GB of memory in my 12''er, and have no problem what so ever.

Is it just the new Rev. E 15'' & 17'' with this problem?

Texas04
Oct 30, 2005, 08:31 PM
now im scared... I was Just about to buy my Powerbook in December... :(
was gunna be 15" with 1 GB of RAM exactly

rockthecasbah
Oct 30, 2005, 08:36 PM
1GB is safe, anything ABOVE 1 GB can cause these problems. Read you silly goose:p

LeviSnuts
Oct 30, 2005, 08:48 PM
i just noticed this today. i hope they fix it.

anthonys
Oct 30, 2005, 09:28 PM
I don't know why Apple doesn't have a stricter quality control. They run their production by design so that they can control everything; the way the OS runs through to hardware config, so they are in a perfect position to ensure everything works when it leaves the factory -but they don't ever seem too. :mad: And it's not like you're getting the hardware cheaply, it should be built in to the price they charge.

I had a rev A 15" PB with uneven illumination problems and screens replaced it's whole life (until I got sick of it and sold it off cheaply), a Rev A 20" iMac with a bright bar along the bottom left that needed a screen replacement too, and a dull screen with dark corners on a Rev C 12" PB. Out of the 3 macs I've owned they all have badly made screens.

I now need another Mac and was going to buy the 15" PB but this has just put me off completely. I thought with the higher res screens they'd maybe fixed any issues. When the last 15" revision came out it had problems with the track pad that I guess they eventually fixed? But I still see lots of people with uneven illumination on all PBs!

For 95,000 yen I can buy a Mac Mini with pretty comparable specs (assuming it's the updated one) to the 15" PB, the PB sells for 240,000 yen. The biggest difference is the PB comes with a screen, but who would want to pay 145,000 yen for it! :eek: I can get a decent Samsung LCD for 1/3 the price and it will be brighter and evenly illuminated.. :rolleyes:

Chrispy
Oct 30, 2005, 10:25 PM
For 95,000 yen I can buy a Mac Mini with pretty comparable specs (assuming it's the updated one) to the 15" PB, the PB sells for 240,000 yen. The biggest difference is the PB comes with a screen, but who would want to pay 145,000 yen for it! :eek: I can get a decent Samsung LCD for 1/3 the price and it will be brighter and evenly illuminated.. :rolleyes:

Amen! Could not have said it better myself. If my iMac has ANY screen issues then I am going to get a powermac and an external screen so I will know that the screen works. Heck, maybe I will just get a mini and a screen and be done with it :eek:

Demon Hunter
Oct 30, 2005, 10:53 PM

Yeah, I wanted to upgrade. This sucks. :(

And of course if you wanted any BTO options, Apple makes life more miserable by not allowing returns.

RHMMMM
Oct 31, 2005, 02:48 PM
It's really not that bad guys, this thread is blowing it out of proportion.

I have a new 17" with 1.5GB RAM and the screen issue. I have gone a few days without seeing the screen jump, and when it does, it's only for a split second. I have yet to experience this AirPort problem and I routinely go over 1GB used.

QCassidy352
Oct 31, 2005, 04:18 PM

No offense, but this is just silly. First, they don't have the same specs at all. Processor, RAM, GPU, you name it, the powerbook is better.

Second, and far more importantly, are you going to take that mini and samsung LCD with you to the library, the coffee shop, the park, and on a plane? You get more for less money with desktops - always have, always will. Yeah, the powerbooks need some help, but I think it makes a lot more sense to point out how similar the ibooks are rather than making a comparison to a desktop...

mrscribble
Oct 31, 2005, 05:15 PM

I have a new 17" with 1.5GB RAM and the screen issue. I have gone a few days without seeing the screen jump, and when it does, it's only for a split second. I have yet to experience this AirPort problem and I routinely go over 1GB used.

I agree it doesn't make the machine unusable or anything, but then again the impact is that some pretty simple things just don't work.

For example, you can't order an iPhoto book using Airport if you have over 1GB installed. On my new 15"PB it takes the connection down a minute or so into the upload every time, because kernel_task rises steadily from the moment the upload starts and eventually kills the airport connection. You have to reboot before you can connect to airport again. This will happen from a cold boot and with no other applications open. I can think of plenty of other basic tasks that won't be achievable due to this problem.

It's a pretty serious flaw in my opinion, and needs to be fixed quickly.

anthonys
Oct 31, 2005, 06:17 PM
No offense, but this is just silly. First, they don't have the same specs at all. Processor, RAM, GPU, you name it, the powerbook is better.

Second, and far more importantly, are you going to take that mini and samsung LCD with you to the library, the coffee shop, the park, and on a plane? You get more for less money with desktops - always have, always will. Yeah, the powerbooks need some help, but I think it makes a lot more sense to point out how similar the ibooks are rather than making a comparison to a desktop...

Sure, the iBook has a pretty shocking screen too. That's why I was comparing to the Mini. They are all G4, all small form factor, I didn't say that had the same specs, just pretty similar. The performance is going to be pretty much the same at the end of the day. It's not like the difference between an iMac and Powerbook.

My main point is I'd much rather a computer that works, has a decent screen (no flickering, even illumination and no horizontal lines) and is half the cost than one that I can work on outside.

As much as I'd love to get another an Apple notebook it just doesn't make sense given the poor screens and over inflated price compared to a Mini and LCD.

generik
Oct 31, 2005, 07:17 PM
I don't know why Apple doesn't have a stricter quality control. They run their production by design so that they can control everything; the way the OS runs through to hardware config, so they are in a perfect position to ensure everything works when it leaves the factory -but they don't ever seem too. :mad: And it's not like you're getting the hardware cheaply, it should be built in to the price they charge.

Steve Jobs wants his yacht for christmas :mad:

foosh
Oct 31, 2005, 07:49 PM
so these uneven brightness issues affect only the latest (10/2005) powerbooks? it's pretty discouraging as I wanted to upgrade as well...

nomad01
Nov 1, 2005, 12:15 AM
My main point is I'd much rather a computer that works, has a decent screen (no flickering, even illumination and no horizontal lines) and is half the cost than one that I can work on outside.

Well for the price of the 15" PB you could get a mac mini AND an iBook. ;)

I do sympathise though. I was about to order a PB but I'm hesitating now. I really don't want to buy something that has to be not quite right until Apple admit to the problem and fix it.

BWhaler
Nov 1, 2005, 07:50 AM
The uneven backlighting issue exists in the 15" model as well. Where is your screen noticeably darker? Mine was in the upper left corner.

It has two horizontal bars end to end on the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the screen.

It's a mess.

groovebuster
Nov 1, 2005, 07:57 AM
It has two horizontal bars end to end on the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the screen.
Can you send a screenshot please??? ;)

But seriously... I find the lately QA problems with Apple products majorly disturbing!

For the price they are calling for their products I would expect better than that... :mad:

I ordered a Quad G5, but I am thinking about canceling my order and waiting for first reviews of other users if there are some issues with this machine... The last thing I can use is a buggy machine when I need to earn money with it...

groovebuster

BWhaler
Nov 1, 2005, 08:30 AM

As the original poster, I agree with your sentiment.

I started this to make people aware of some issues Apple was having in a subset of the computers shipping. It doesn't mean that every single laptop, or even the majority, are having issues. Just some.

I think we need to reign this thread in a bit. It was not intended to tell people not to buy a laptop, but just to share my issues and let folks know others are experiencing the same problems.

But the silent majority are not experiencing problems, and folks need to remember that.

And of course, Apple handled my problems with class. I'm getting a new Mac in a few days, so no worries...

mactim
Nov 1, 2005, 10:14 AM
I still think the issues are serious. My laptop is only usable with one of my SODIMMS disabled and the screen jump/distortion is very annoying. Given that even the G5 freeze issue has not been solved (see g5freeze.com); I wonder if I should try to get a refund instead of waiting in hope for fixes that may never come. Not a very good switching experience so far.

BWhaler: since it appears that the two issues you stated in your first post are software issues, how will a new Mac help? Is the new Mac not a PowerBook RevE?

As the original poster, I agree with your sentiment.

I started this to make people aware of some issues Apple was having in a subset of the computers shipping. It doesn't mean that every single laptop, or even the majority, are having issues. Just some.

I think we need to reign this thread in a bit. It was not intended to tell people not to buy a laptop, but just to share my issues and let folks know others are experiencing the same problems.

But the silent majority are not experiencing problems, and folks need to remember that.

And of course, Apple handled my problems with class. I'm getting a new Mac in a few days, so no worries...

BWhaler
Nov 1, 2005, 10:31 AM
BWhaler: since it appears that the two issues you stated in your first post are software issues, how will a new Mac help? Is the new Mac not a PowerBook RevE?

I basically just want the backlight fixed. I will drop down to 1gig of memory and turn off the ambient lighting setting which should fix the other two issues.

Is this optimal? No. Are these serious issues? Yes.

But will it suit my needs and be better than the Rev. B 17" I currently use?

Yes.

And I really hope Apple gets their act together too. Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark with Apple quality of late...

Crazymacz
Nov 1, 2005, 10:49 AM
Im having a odd popping sound under the keyboard when my system gets warm "playing wow, rendering, video editing" After sometime of the system running warm I will get glithes in the video for a very shrot time. The apple will run fine and all I will just have video gliches now and then and that popping sound is not the sticky tape under the keyboard either. I ran tests and passed. Does anyone know if this is a software fix or think something is losing contact ?GPU? Causing this. The fans run fine aswell. I have fixed other powerbooks but they where 17" never alum 12 or 15 and there heat sink runs across the back on the GPU and Proc and tacs on the back making it one big heat sink if you will. I really dont want to take this system to the apple store to get it shipped since its new. Is any new 15" owner having this problem? plus this above 1G mem crap is scaring me. I have 2 512 one apple and one mushkin and I want to buy a 1G stick from mushkin so I have above a gig so my editing runs smoother and better.(15" powerbook 1GB 1.67Mhz)

mactim
Nov 1, 2005, 11:00 AM
I had a backlight flickering issue which the ambient lighting setting allowed me to fix. However the occasional quick screen distortion during heavy cpu load remains (usually happens when playing movies / ichat).
It annoys me when some Mac fans laugh about Windows being unstable; because Tiger is far buggier than Windows XP SP2 is.
It's also technically light years ahead of XP and far more fun to use; which is what attracted me to Mac. But Tiger has serious quality issues for many people. We must not be complacent and must push Apple to try harder.

I basically just want the backlight fixed. I will drop down to 1gig of memory and turn off the ambient lighting setting which should fix the other two issues.

Is this optimal? No. Are these serious issues? Yes.

But will it suit my needs and be better than the Rev. B 17" I currently use?

Yes.

And I really hope Apple gets their act together too. Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark with Apple quality of late...

Frozonecold
Nov 1, 2005, 09:02 PM
Don't forget about the 7200Rpm hard drive.

RHMMMM
Nov 1, 2005, 11:48 PM
OK, I take back my post from before. I have experienced the LookupD Airport drop/computer lag problem three times tonight and I'm pissed. Yeah, I'm ready to sue with you guys.

The good news is that with the 10.4.3 update, I have yet to see the screen flicker/jump problem - it might be fixed or I might not have seen it yet. The memory problem bothers me a LOT more than the screen jump though.

ibidiem
Nov 2, 2005, 08:08 AM
check out this (http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2005/10/ibook_ram_problem#remedy) article for a temporary hack that works pretty well at handling the airport problem. It, by high end deep root cosmogougic voodoo, limits the ram your machine allows itself to use, or something like that. I've tried it out, and it does work at pushing the problem out of the way, tho not completely irradicating it. User reports (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@931.bG4ta5Z4Rrq.6@.68b7c1b7/321) indicate that the fix works on both iBook and pBooks.

Still, aside from there BEING a problem, it would be rad for apple to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that there is one...

But I guess that seems too much to ask.

munckee
Nov 2, 2005, 09:06 AM
Well this aint cool. I'm looking at buying a 15" PB with 2GB of ram, but it doesn't do me any good if the ram isn't usable. Is this a problem on EVERY PB with more than a gig of ram, or just flawed machines?

caveman_uk
Nov 2, 2005, 09:12 AM
I'm kind of glad I didn't wait for the new powerbook. I've got 1.5GB ram, airport that works faultlessly and a screen I don't have to squint at to read. ;)

Admittedly it cost me 300 more than if I'd waited and may yet still suffer the memory slot failure of doom...

chaosbunny
Nov 2, 2005, 09:53 AM
I can get a decent Samsung LCD for 1/3 the price and it will be brighter and evenly illuminated.. :rolleyes:

Lol, and what makes you 100% sure the Samsung LCD won't have any issues? Of course we hear about Apple problems all the time since this is an Apple forum. But this does not mean other electronic companys do not have any problems. Ok, we know about the screen issue of the pbs now, but you can't be sure nou to get a dud if you buy a Samsung, Sony or whatever something. Unfortunately that's the way it is. 100% quality control is simply to expensive for companys, no matter if it's Apple, Sony, Dell,....

RHMMMM
Nov 2, 2005, 01:50 PM
Was this airport dropping problem an issue with the older DDR333 Powerbooks? Or, is it new just with the DDR2 ones?

Wombert
Nov 2, 2005, 02:00 PM
Only a problem with the DDR2 models (and hence the 12" is not affected)

RHMMMM
Nov 2, 2005, 05:12 PM
Can someone try the new Airport update and see if that fixes our problems with the iBooks and Powerbooks with respect to the >1GB RAM issue?

anthonys
Nov 2, 2005, 05:13 PM
Lol, and what makes you 100% sure the Samsung LCD won't have any issues? Of course we hear about Apple problems all the time since this is an Apple forum. But this does not mean other electronic companys do not have any problems. Ok, we know about the screen issue of the pbs now, but you can't be sure nou to get a dud if you buy a Samsung, Sony or whatever something. Unfortunately that's the way it is. 100% quality control is simply to expensive for companys, no matter if it's Apple, Sony, Dell,....

Nothing, but I've read a lot of reviews praising how good they are and out of all the electronic devices I bought over the past few years every Apple product has broken (4) but none of the Sony, JVC, Samsung stuff has.

I can see the screens are better quality in the stores. Plus if they do go wrong Samsung gives you a three year warranty on site (included in the price), and if I do need to go without the screen I still have a computer to use .. :cool:

ajwitte
Nov 2, 2005, 07:00 PM
Can someone try the new Airport update and see if that fixes our problems with the iBooks and Powerbooks with respect to the >1GB RAM issue?

I, too, am curious about this. My 1GB extra RAM (bringing total to 1.5) is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I want to know what to expect.

generik
Nov 2, 2005, 08:17 PM
Nothing, but I've read a lot of reviews praising how good they are and out of all the electronic devices I bought over the past few years every Apple product has broken (4) but none of the Sony, JVC, Samsung stuff has.

I can see the screens are better quality in the stores. Plus if they do go wrong Samsung gives you a three year warranty on site (included in the price), and if I do need to go without the screen I still have a computer to use .. :cool:

I have to agree with you on this one. I also have to add in that IMHO, AppleCare is nothing but a scam.

I'd rather sell my PB every 10 months than to spend 20% of my laptop price on "AppleCare".

ibidiem
Nov 2, 2005, 09:11 PM
Is this (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/airport42formacosx1042.html) the airport update you're speaking of?

Cause if so, it came out in mid july. The iBook that I have came out in late july, I got mine first of september, and it already had Tiger.2 on it, so it probably had the airport update...

I just checked my Airport Admin app... it's version 4.2.

The problem is my problem, so, no, that ain't no fix.

apoptoticdream
Nov 2, 2005, 09:46 PM
I just got a new 15" PB with 1.5GB RAM (installed a 1GB stick from Crucial myself) and everything is running just fine. The screen is gorgeous and the machine is (obviously) a vast improvement over my 933MHz iBook G4.

cepler
Nov 2, 2005, 10:01 PM
The Airport Extreme update appears to have fixed the real bad lag/dropout issue with wireless on the new powerbooks, at least it seems to have on mine...

I have 2 gig of RAM in mine and if I launched all my apps and brought my free RAM down to 200-500 meg the pings would start dropping and latency would shoot thru the roof. After applying the wireless update I can reliably ping at 20-30ms to my server at work with no dropped packets. Examples of the fun below, if you squint you can make out the ping times... :-P

http://www.epler.net/heavy-load-fixed1.jpg

http://www.epler.net/heavy-load-fixed2.jpg

cepler
Nov 2, 2005, 10:04 PM
The standalone copy of the update is available at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28282

But should also be in your system updater...

munckee
Nov 3, 2005, 10:12 AM
Possible fix discussed here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@848.c0BOaAGPTis.3@.68bdbe16