PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered new Hard drive and RAM for older Powerbook!!

wattage
Oct 29, 2005, 11:57 PM
I am finally upgrading my 2002 TiBook 667 with a Hitachi 80 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, and 512 mb more ram. I know my measly total ram of 768 is nothing in today's world, but I can't wait to see the improvement. I will finally be able to put my photo and tunes libraries back on the laptop and have a portable comp. again. Just wanted to express my excitement.

MacTruck
Oct 30, 2005, 12:02 AM
Umm, yippie.

Gonna see a big speed increase with the 7200 drive though. :D

California
Oct 30, 2005, 02:30 AM
I am finally upgrading my 2002 TiBook 667 with a Hitachi 80 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, and 512 mb more ram. I know my measly total ram of 768 is nothing in today's world, but I can't wait to see the improvement. I will finally be able to put my photo and tunes libraries back on the laptop and have a portable comp. again. Just wanted to express my excitement.

Well, I think it is exciting. Those old Ti's are great. Tricking it out with the ram and hd is cool. Now, save up your pennies and if you have a DVI machine, you COULD theoretically drop a 1gig logic board into it, giving you bettter video and speed.

On everyday tasks, the 667s are fine. Enjoy it brother.

wattage
Oct 30, 2005, 04:14 AM
Now, save up your pennies and if you have a DVI machine, you COULD theoretically drop a 1gig logic board into it, giving you bettter video and speed.
Two questions:
What is a DVI machine?
I know there were two versions of 667's released, one with DVI output and another with the alternative video out(can't remember the name). How do I figure out which one I have?

And thanks for the shared enthusiasm, this way I might get by another 2 years or so.

California
Oct 30, 2005, 04:23 AM
Two questions:
What is a DVI machine?
I know there were two versions of 667's released, one with DVI output and another with the alternative video out(can't remember the name). How do I figure out which one I have?

And thanks for the shared enthusiasm, this way I might get by another 2 years or so.

The 667 Ti's came in Gigabite Ethernet and DVI

You can tell by the little rectangular output jack on the back -- I think if you go to PowerbookMedic.com there are some diagrams of the back of the machines that will help you. But anyway, I think you WILL have two more years with the machine. I had my first powerbook for SEVEN that's right SEVEN good years. And the machine didn't crap out -- the Kingston memory did!

I have a 1ghz Tibook still going strong and two friends have 400 bumped up to 550mhz Ti's that are still going strong. With the Intel machines right around the corner, our timing is good for two years, I think.

But bump up the ram to 1gig when you can. It does make a miniscule difference, but a difference nonetheless. Also, get a superdrive when you can, nice to be able to burn dvds on a Tibook where you can really appreciate the widescreen effect for DVDs. I love Hitachi hds, btw, you did good.

wattage
Oct 30, 2005, 02:53 PM
Looks like you have to purchase a manual at that site. On the back of my 'book there is a rectangle output with like 24 holes and a screw hole on each side. DVI??
I found a site that offered CPU upgrades on one of the versions, which ever one I have is not what they offered the upgrade for. Anywhere in system profiler or somewhere else in the computer that would tell me, just curious?

wattage
Oct 30, 2005, 05:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a DVI (isn't VGA the more recent?). I bought this in August 2002 at CompUSA, I think they updated them in Nov02 with superdrives. I didn't know anything about macs, product cycles, or MacRumors or else I would have waited, oh well, won't make that mistake again. Not like this wonderful computer could ever be called a mistake.

Anyway it came with a DVI-VGA adapter so I think mine is DVI .

Anonymous Freak
Oct 30, 2005, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a DVI (isn't VGA the more recent?). I bought this in August 2002 at CompUSA, I think they updated them in Nov02 with superdrives. I didn't know anything about macs, product cycles, or MacRumors or else I would have waited, oh well, won't make that mistake again. Not like this wonderful computer could ever be called a mistake.

Anyway it came with a DVI-VGA adapter so I think mine is DVI .

If it came with a DVI-VGA adapter then it's a DVI.

The DVI model is newer, and has the following improvements over the VGA model:
1280 x 864 vs. 1152 x 768 resolution screen.
32 MB ATI Radeon 7500 vs. 16 MB ATI Radeon (no number) graphics chip.
1MB L3 cache vs. no L3 cache.

The model after yours got a speed increase and a SuperDrive, and that was it.

mjstew33
Oct 30, 2005, 06:14 PM
If you're still unsure... take a pic of it's ports. We'll tell you ;)

California
Oct 30, 2005, 07:34 PM
Well it sounds like DVI but I am pretty sure on Powerbookmedic.com they have a page that you can "identify your powerbook" by looking at different photos of the ports on the back of the machines.

The dVI has a rectangular port (I think) while the VGA out port is more of a rectangle with angled down sides. (I think).

Good machine, I had that 667 meself. Stuff it with the full gig of ram when you can.

California
Oct 30, 2005, 09:30 PM
Looks like you have to purchase a manual at that site. On the back of my 'book there is a rectangle output with like 24 holes and a screw hole on each side. DVI??
I found a site that offered CPU upgrades on one of the versions, which ever one I have is not what they offered the upgrade for. Anywhere in system profiler or somewhere else in the computer that would tell me, just curious?

No CPU upgrades offered for the 667 Tibook yet -- anyway, the best upgrade would be a 1gig logic board (DVI, after the 667, all the Ti's were DVI) dropped into your 'book and then you could sell your logic board. But otherwise, you have a great machine on your hands, keep us posted on your happiness levels when you drop the new hd into it. (You are doing it yourself, right? Even me, non techie that I am, knows how to drop a hd in a Tibook... very easy.)

wattage
Oct 30, 2005, 09:41 PM
So if it is DVI, then that is good right (newer is usually better) ? So I can hook it up to what type of monitors>>LCD only, or what?33812

wattage
Oct 30, 2005, 09:50 PM
No CPU upgrades offered for the 667 Tibook yet -- anyway, the best upgrade would be a 1gig logic board (DVI, after the 667, all the Ti's were DVI) dropped into your 'book and then you could sell your logic board.....(You are doing it yourself, right? Even me, non techie that I am, knows how to drop a hd in a Tibook... very easy.)

i don't know what a logic board is, I've heard of them but don't know their fucntion. How much would that cost and what is the benefit? I looked at PBfixit's site but thought I would spend $40 at CompUSA to have them install it (worry free)??

California
Oct 30, 2005, 09:56 PM
i don't know what a logic board is, I've heard of them but don't know their fucntion. How much would that cost and what is the benefit? I looked at PBfixit's site but thought I would spend $40 at CompUSA to have them install it (worry free)??

A logic board is your processor. It is pretty expensive to drop a 1gig logic board into your tibook. Like, 400 bucks if you are lucky for the board only. You do have a DVI machine but you know what, keep it and be happy. Your cost ratio to get a 1gig Tibook would be prohibitive now and the speed increase and better video not worth it. Enjoy.

Anonymous Freak
Oct 31, 2005, 06:12 PM
So if it is DVI, then that is good right (newer is usually better) ? So I can hook it up to what type of monitors>>LCD only, or what?

Yup, it's DVI. You can hook up any kind of monitor you want, up to Apple's 23" Cinema Display. For 'digital LCDs' such as Apple's, you use just the DVI port. For analog monitors (such as all CRTs, and most low-end LCDs,) you plug in your DVI to VGA adapter, then plug the monitor into that.

wattage
Oct 31, 2005, 07:28 PM
Good to figure that out. I was at CompUSA (no Apple Store in Arkansas) and really wanted an Apple Display-the 20 in. for $800 doesn't seem that bad for the price. But alas, I am glad to know what my Pbook is capable of now. Thanks everyone.

I do have another question regarding Carbon Copy Clone:

I have used it to back up a bootable copy of my Mac hard drive already.

Will it boot now by going to system Pref>target disk mode, or rebooting and holding down 'option' button? Or do I have to install Tiger on my external hard drive too? (Probably a silly question).