PDA

View Full Version : Any danger to turning off journalling on an external HD?

whitedragon101
May 16, 2013, 11:05 AM
I have a synology NAS and the only workaround I have found to mounting an HFS+ USB drive on it is to turn off journalling on the drive. Are there any dangers for data loss or corruption from doing so?

benwiggy
May 16, 2013, 11:37 AM
What is the problem you have been having? Have you asked Synology about it?

The point of a journalled system is to prevent data corruption in the event of a crash or power outage. So obviously, this is a level of protection that will be missing.

For general purposes, it may not matter. But: If you take your braces off because you've already got a belt, you can bet your trousers will still fall down.

whitedragon101
May 16, 2013, 12:06 PM
What is the problem you have been having? Have you asked Synology about it?

I haven't asked Synology directly yet but when you plug in an HFS+ drive it doesn't recognise it. There are lots of forum posts asking when HFS+ support will be included in the Synology software.

http://www.devincollier.com/mount-an-hfs-plus-volume-on-synology-nas-ds213ai/

ColdCase
May 16, 2013, 03:26 PM
Are you using DSM 4.2? I don't think I had an issue connecting up my Mac formatted HFS+ drive in an USB 3 enclosure to the USB port on my DS212j... but it has been awhile. I recall being surprised because I though it was going to ask to reformat it. I just had to set permissions if I recall correctly... hmmm... I can use the drive for TM backups, but that may just be a server thing.