PDA

View Full Version : Can I use iBook 1.33 12" G4 Tiger install discs on a 1ghz 12" iBook G4?

California
Oct 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know what would happen if I used my 1.33ghz iBook G4 12" Tiger install discs on my 1ghz iBook G4 12" machine?

The 1ghz machine came with 10.3.2 install discs. Let me know before I blow her up with Tiger

disconap
Oct 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
My experience has been that the OSX installer discs work with anything, but your software installer (which includes lots of apps and Classic) won't install on anything but its native machine. I've only tested this with 10.2 and 10.3, though.

AND NOTE: It's technically illegal. I also have a technically illegal workaround for creating an OS9 boot drive from non-native discs, but I don't think the machines you mentioned can boot in OS9 (I could be wrong, though).

mad jew
Oct 30, 2005, 12:54 AM
iBook G4s will not boot in OS9 AFAIK. They certainly won't do it natively.

As for putting Tiger on the other iBook, if you have a licence for it then it's legal but not advisable. I guess it'd probably work though considering the similarities between the two machines with the only problem perhaps coming from GPU drivers.

Don't do it if you don't have the spare license though. :)

slooksterPSV
Oct 30, 2005, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know what would happen if I used my 1.33ghz iBook G4 12" Tiger install discs on my 1ghz iBook G4 12" machine?

The 1ghz machine came with 10.3.2 install discs. Let me know before I blow her up with Tiger
I did Target disk mode on my iBook G3 500 connected my new iBook and updated the software that way. Worked like a charm. Legability though, questionable.

California
Oct 30, 2005, 01:29 AM
Yes, I don't know about legality of it either.

I have one unopened box of tiger myself and I just bought these iBook install discs for a 1.33 12" computer -- without the computer.

So I have no idea.

I wonder if it would work on my 1.33 14" iBook?

Just wondering what they are worth to me, since I don't have a 12 inch 1.33, only a 14" 1.33. Since I'm not even a Tiger user yet, I'm just wondering what these 1.33 12" install discs are good for.

California
Oct 31, 2005, 10:54 PM
Does anyone think it will actually hurt a machine (I don't know what it would "hurt" exactly, the CPU?) if I TRIED install discs on a different machine?

I copied a drive with regular Panther off a Tibook onto an iBook last week no problem -- this is some technical thing about computers that I just don't get... how and why would it affect a machine's performance?

mad jew
Oct 31, 2005, 10:56 PM
The worst that'll happen is you'll get a slightly corrupt system. It won't hurt the physical machine but it may make for an unstable system - nothing a new clean install can't remedy. Just how unstable is anyone's guess. :)

Between you and me, it'll probably be absolutely fine. :)

slooksterPSV
Oct 31, 2005, 11:07 PM
The only, only, only difference between the 12" iBook 1.33GHz vs. 14" 1.33GHz iBook is probably the Video card and screen size.