Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rMBA13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Check out this youtube video, it's funny but so true! Kind of explained why Android can be free to Google's partners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cr6AgUo764&sns=em

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
No, it isn't true. I honestly don't know why Google hasn't just gone ahead and sued Microsoft for defamation yet.

Google Chrome does not monitor anything. I can't make that any clearer. Chrome does not send your browsing history to Google. At all.

A website with Google AdSense on it enables Google to track your browsing, but that works no matter what browser you have, and Microsoft's Bing ads do the exact same thing.

This is the funny thing about Microsoft's "Scroogled" ads... they spread all this FUD about Google, yet Microsoft is no better. Just look at how they pay a visit to all HTTPS URLs sent through Skype or how they look through your Skydrive files. If anything they're worse than Google. At least Google are honest about how they use your data.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Wow. That's gotta be one of the worst ads ever, as far as the truth goes. I'm not a litigious person, but Google should sue the $#&% out of Microsoft. Just a complete fabrication of "facts". But I guess when your mobile and desktop OS's suck as bad as Microsoft's do, you have to lob grenades to try and keep up.

Good luck with that, Microsoft.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I really don't see much proof it's actually from Microsoft, but I've never liked their ads, ESPECIALLY the Surface ones.
I saw one where it was just people doing choreographed dancing with some surfaces with lots of stomping and slamming and whatnot.
What it told me about Surface? Ehh...

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Check out this youtube video, it's funny but so true! Kind of explained why Android can be free to Google's partners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cr6AgUo764&sns=em

Is there a reason to post an ad campaign by Microsoft that has been around for 6 months? And has been completely and utterly unsuccessful?

But it doesn't help that you are spreading false propaganda along with this link. Android isn't free to Google's partners. The code is still licensed and if you use Googles code, you must use Google's main apps in your U/I. Of course, this also explains why Android is on 75% of all the worlds smart phones.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Boy, someone is bitter about Google's success. And by someone, I mean rMBA more than I mean Microsoft. :p

Exactly, a clearly fake advert - attacking google - posted by a now banned OP. Do we need to carry this thread any further folks.

nothing to see here.... move along.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Google Chrome does not monitor anything. I can't make that any clearer. Chrome does not send your browsing history to Google. At all.

You are correct that Chrome doesn't send your browser history to Google

But google search does (optional), do a search in google, click on the search preferences option, then scroll to the bottom

I find it useful as it auto shows previous searches when I start typing something

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
You are correct that Chrome doesn't send your browser history to Google

But google search does (optional), do a search in google, click on the search preferences option, then scroll to the bottom

I find it useful as it auto shows previous searches when I start typing something

This is true, but that happens in any browser, it can easily be turned off, and I think Bing does the same thing if you log into your Microsoft account.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
This is true, but that happens in any browser, it can easily be turned off, and I think Bing does the same thing if you log into your Microsoft account.

Yup, Bing is exactly the same, I was trying it the other week and if I am signed in with my MS id it saves everything

It's nothing exclusive to Chrome/Google

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Microsoft should focus on the productive stuff instead of running those campaigns. Look, the normal joe doesn't care, and those of us with the know how already know what is going on.

Focus on making your products better instead of crying about your competitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.