PDA

View Full Version : 'Haunting Melissa' App Brings Episodic Movie Exclusively to iPhone and iPad

MacRumors
May 16, 2013, 07:17 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/16/haunting-melissa-app-brings-episodic-movie-exclusively-to-iphone-and-ipad/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/hauntingmelissa.pngHaunting Melissa (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/haunting-melissa), from Hooked Media Digital and "The Ring" producer Neil Edelstein, is an app that aims to deliver movies on mobile devices in an entirely new way.

Much like a TV show on iTunes, the film is broken up into segments that can be unlocked by sharing a user's viewing experience on Facebook, purchasing each episode within the app for $1.99 or paying $6.99 to $14.99 for the entire film. In an interview (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-16/hollywood-horror-flick-gets-wide-release-on-apple-devices.html) with Bloomberg, Edelstein declined to comment on how many episodes would be available.

Edelstein also said that Hooked Media Digital wanted to find a way to present movies and TV on mobile devices as studios have struggled to account for the rise of mobile video. "The way stories are consumed has changed, so we set out to alter how stories are told," said Neal Edelstein, founder of Hooked Digital Media, in an interview. "It's terrifying to studios the drain that these devices have placed on the industry, so we have to find a new way to harness them."Although the film could have been released in Apple's iTunes Store, providing it through an app gives Hooked Digital Media greater control over the way the content is delivered. It also gives the studio the ability to add additional story elements at any time, providing users with a unique film viewing experience. In 2011, "The Godfather" director Francis Ford Coppola experimented with similar technology (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/23/twixt-francis-ford-coppola-tour_n_907865.html) in theaters.

EKlBUCouC_c
Haunting Melissa (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/haunting-melissa) is a universal app that is available for free in the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id577791431)]

Article Link: 'Haunting Melissa' App Brings Episodic Movie Exclusively to iPhone and iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/16/haunting-melissa-app-brings-episodic-movie-exclusively-to-iphone-and-ipad/)

komodrone
May 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
"silent...silent...silent...SUDDENLY LOUD DRUMS AND VIOLIN STRINGS....NOISES OF JET ENGINES RISING....OFF KEY PIANO PLAYING...SCREAMING...silent...silent...silent..." -every horror movie in the past 10 years

bromassive
May 16, 2013, 07:27 PM
"silent...silent...silent...SUDDENLY LOUD DRUMS AND VIOLIN STRINGS....NOISES OF JET ENGINES RISING....OFF KEY PIANO PLAYING...SCREAMING...silent...silent...silent..." -every horror movie in the past 10 years

lololol

Renzatic
May 16, 2013, 07:48 PM
You forgot the wicked nasty bass drop.

sssskkkkrrRRREEEEEE....TTTTHHHHHOOOOooooooooo

Verbatim Cookie
May 16, 2013, 08:03 PM
'Haunting Melissa' App Brings Episodic Movie Exclusively to iPhone and iPad
But not the iPod touch? Why not just write ...Exclusively to iOS Devices? (I see it's the developer's wording, not MacRumors'.)

ArtOfWarfare
May 16, 2013, 08:22 PM
Sounds interesting. But I dislike horror movies.

ThunderSkunk
May 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Someone needs to give horror movie genre a kick in the pants, by making a horror movie that doesn't look like what horror movies have come to look like.

...a character that's a sociopath, who just casually, effortlessly kills with complete indifference, in locations and scenes where you'd never expect to see such a thing happen, without reason, without being a comicky caricature of evil villainy, would be truly scary.

ctdonath
May 16, 2013, 09:15 PM
It also gives the studio the ability to add additional story elements at any time, providing users with a unique film viewing experience.
I don't want a unique experience. I want the director's experience.
Technology adds nothing to art. Two thousand years ago, I could tell you a story, and at any point during the story I could stop, and ask, "Now, do you want the hero to be kidnapped, or not?" But that would, of course, have ruined the story. Part of the experience of being entertained is sitting back and plugging into someone else's vision. The fact of the matter is, since the beginning of time, you could buy a Picasso and change the colors. That's trivial. But you don't because you're buying a piece of Picasso's ****ing soul. That's the definition of art: Art is one person's ego trip.
- Penn Jillette

SockRolid
May 16, 2013, 10:25 PM
Sharing on Facebook? Uh, no thanks.

Let me know when it's on Netflix.

japanime
May 16, 2013, 11:03 PM
Sharing on Facebook? Uh, no thanks.

Let me know when it's on Netflix.

I'm not a fan of Facebook, either. However, this might be one of those times that a "fake" Facebook account comes in handy.

Resseh
May 17, 2013, 02:10 AM
Someone needs to give horror movie genre a kick in the pants, by making a horror movie that doesn't look like what horror movies have come to look like.

...a character that's a sociopath, who just casually, effortlessly kills with complete indifference, in locations and scenes where you'd never expect to see such a thing happen, without reason, without being a comicky caricature of evil villainy, would be truly scary.

Like Dexter?

mazz0
May 17, 2013, 05:31 AM
I don't want a unique experience. I want the director's experience.

Re: your quote - on the one hand yes, on the other hand Mass Effect. If the whole experience is designed around it then interactive storytelling where the story can be actively varied can be a great thing.

Compile 'em all
May 17, 2013, 05:35 AM

Have you watched The Cabin in the Woods?

Dagless
May 17, 2013, 07:16 AM
Because I love watching such engrossing and atmospheric films on my iOS devices, when I have a 55" Bravia, Bluray player and 5.1 system.

illitrate23
May 17, 2013, 07:30 AM
cool idea, shame it's a horror film
i'll check back when they have some interesting show/film on

ThunderSkunk
May 17, 2013, 08:14 AM
Like Dexter?

Sort of... But even Dexter is very methodical and very much "into" his killing, and endears & makes the audience feel safe because he only goes after other villains.

Remove those aspects, someone who just kills randomly, indiscriminately, broad daylight, city streets, you name it, because the opportunity presents itself and the idea strikes them, without any provocation or ideology or motive to figure out and track. Just, an unassuming character who wanders through the world at ease, leaving eddies of chaos in their wake because they can and it means absolutely nothing but a moments enjoyment to them.

Haven't seen cabin in the woods. I sort of lost interest in the horror genre when it all turned into supernatural quackery and shaky cameras in the dark and the aforementioned soundtracks.

The war scene in the beethoven bio "Immortal Beloved" was more horrific than any of that. ...and a pretty great movie too.

ctdonath
May 17, 2013, 08:48 AM
Re: your quote - on the one hand yes, on the other hand Mass Effect. If the whole experience is designed around it then interactive storytelling where the story can be actively varied can be a great thing.
If it really was _designed_ around interaction, and that's part of the director's vision, fine.
Seems they're talking more about slapped-on content or full vs. abridged versions.

jephrey
May 17, 2013, 08:58 AM
Choose your own adventure movies. Cool idea. Niche, but cool idea. Even a mass choose your own adventure would be cool where the posts and comments by watchers would affect (but maybe not fully decide the outcome of) the next episode(s) and entire show. It'll be interesting to see how this particular distribution method works out.

Zunjine
May 17, 2013, 08:59 AM
Sort of... But even Dexter is very methodical and very much "into" his killing, and endears & makes the audience feel safe because he only goes after other villains.

Remove those aspects, someone who just kills randomly, indiscriminately, broad daylight, city streets, you name it, because the opportunity presents itself and the idea strikes them, without any provocation or ideology or motive to figure out and track. Just, an unassuming character who wanders through the world at ease, leaving eddies of chaos in their wake because they can and it means absolutely nothing but a moments enjoyment to them.

Haven't seen cabin in the woods. I sort of lost interest in the horror genre when it all turned into supernatural quackery and shaky cameras in the dark and the aforementioned soundtracks.

The war scene in the beethoven bio "Immortal Beloved" was more horrific than any of that. ...and a pretty great movie too.

You really should see Cabin in the Woods.

Waxhead138
May 17, 2013, 09:00 AM

Exactly. This movie kind of gave me a little hope when it comes to the Horror Genre. Really loved where Whedon went with it.

As a side note...for those who like good ole' fashioned blood and gore and being flat out shocked...it's older now, but the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, unrated version, surprised me in some ways too on what could be done for shock value even in a genre that has been beaten to death over and over again.

*Edit* - Avoid the THHE 2, it follows the stereotype of sequels....echhh

ctdonath
May 17, 2013, 09:16 AM
Just, an unassuming character who wanders through the world at ease, leaving eddies of chaos in their wake because they can and it means absolutely nothing but a moments enjoyment to them.
Ah, The Pretender, just evil.
Haven't seen cabin in the woods. I sort of lost interest in the horror genre
Then make it the last horror film you ever see. It really does kinda bring the whole genre to an end.

LaDirection
May 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
To call this a "film" is quite a stretch.

nexusrule
May 17, 2013, 10:03 AM

Remove those aspects, someone who just kills randomly, indiscriminately, broad daylight, city streets, you name it, because the opportunity presents itself and the idea strikes them, without any provocation or ideology or motive to figure out and track.

If the lead character of a story hasn't a background and a strong reason that drives his actions, everything will look false and the viewers won't be able to empathize at all. A series of random events is not a story, a story has a structure. The problem with horror is simply that it became a niche genre for teens and so plot and characters s**ks.

Kissaragi
May 17, 2013, 10:21 AM
That works out as an expensive "movie"

TMay
May 17, 2013, 11:05 AM

Anton Chigurh

"No Country for Old Men"

Of course, there is that coin flip...

SockRolid
May 17, 2013, 11:24 AM
I'm not a fan of Facebook, either. However, this might be one of those times that a "fake" Facebook account comes in handy.

Great idea. Better associate a spam email account with it too.

I WAS the one
May 17, 2013, 02:59 PM
Can't all of you haters be happy for a moment and give enthusiasm to a new idea developed for the iPad or iPhone? Why so many critics and hating? Whoa, This community is turning into an Android community. :mad:

Renzatic
May 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
I watched a little bit of it, and...meh. It's alright. For what it's supposed to be (a found footage film), it's a little too loud, overdone with pointless effects, and the acting's merely passable.

To me, it seems like its trying to be Marble Hornets, but fails because it lacks the subtlety and quiet moments that made MH so damn scary. I find it amazing that a big budget studio production failed to match what a few bored college kids with a couple hundred bucks did in their spare time.

topper24hours
May 18, 2013, 12:29 PM
That works out as an expensive "movie"

My thought as well when I saw the $14.99 price mentioned. Really? $15 to watch a film on my ipad? Pass.

AppleInTheMud
May 18, 2013, 02:31 PM

Cabin in the woods ? WORST movie ever. Never seen anything as crapy as it.

Back To Topic.: Haunting Melissa is a great idea - But the movie is boring, scenes are to long. It's nothing.

And ehmmm.... Why the f... does AirPlay die, if you dont turn off the screen lock. THats stupiiid :-)

NICE IDEA - THUMBS UP ! ... Haunting Melissa - Sucks Big Time though :-(

But more of this please.

Umasuki
May 19, 2013, 05:46 AM

This movie will disturb you... And it's not a horror flick even. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGFea7JuFw

It's not disturbing because it's grotesque or anything. It's because it happened... two years after it was made http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik

Kissaragi
May 19, 2013, 12:16 PM
Ill stick to watching american horror story which also comes in episodes and is handily recorded on my nice TV.

reel2reel
May 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
This ain't horror. The Shining is horror. The original Halloween is horror.

This is the same old PG-13 ghost-story crap that's been passing for horror for years now. Quick cuts and loud noises. Zero story, Zero craft, Zero fun.

Maybe infants might find it clever.

infinitech
May 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
when this yahoo-tumblr thing bombs will this app be renamed "Haunting Melissa Mayer"

fujitsu
May 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
Sounds interesting. But I dislike horror movies.

Same here. :D I sleep alone in my room.